Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies or scenes that you just don't get

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies or scenes that you just don't get

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's because it's not a real joke. Gibson and Russo decided to come up with some non-sensical phrase just to see if anyone in the theater would laugh...even though it makes no sense. Know what? A lot of people laughed when I saw the movie...goes to show how many people just "turn off their brains" in the theater.
Um, no. Here is a more reasonable answer, from Movie Mistakes.com
The "lingerie shop" was a front for the bad guys' operations. One of their victims had made a phone call there before he was killed. Russo investigated the location, and knew something was amiss when the sign out front identified it as a lingerie shop, but there was no front window for displays.
Old 06-23-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
Re: Total Recall

That's all fine and dandy. But just because the filmmakers' comments remove any doubt, the film itself still contains those ambiguities and should not be discounted.

I've always thought that everything went ok (in the end) and he just went back to his normal life (ie: the one we saw at the very begining of the movie).

At first this seems like a "happy" ending...but actually it's not really all that happy because he returns back to his mundane life.
Old 06-23-05, 02:37 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
At first this seems like a "happy" ending...but actually it's not really all that happy because he returns back to his mundane life.
Nothing is mundane when you have love (cue audio of birds chirping)...
Old 06-23-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
The infamous end to the first Superman movie, where he can reverse time by flying around the Earth backwards... which almost compares to him rebuilding the Great Wall in the fourth movie with his rebuild-wall-vision. Of course, the sci-fi/superhero genres of movies complain sooo many plotholes... I mean, people debate just the Star Wars films for years.
Old 06-23-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
A couple of movies that have left me pondering:

Total Recall: This is one of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies. I've seen it a couple of dozen times, and to this day, I still have no idea whether everything in the movie actually happened, or a memory implant that he bought at Recall.
Maybe the answers are obvious to some people, but the answers still escape me.
To me the key to whether or not it's real comes when the female technician at Rekall tosses the program they are going to run Arnie through to the male technician. He looks at it and says matter of factly: "That's a new one; blue sky on Mars."

Last edited by movielib; 06-23-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get:

Being John Makovich

And to just mention a crappy movie just for the hell of it: A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Old 06-23-05, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know i'm the minority, but I didn't get Spiderman 2. I saw it in the theater and couldn't wait for it to end.

Last edited by DVD King; 06-23-05 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by movielib
To me the key to whether or not it's real comes when the female technician at Rekall tosses the program they are going to run Arnie through to the male technician. He looks at it and says matter of factly: "That's a new one; blue sky on Mars."
That's exactly it. There are a few clues that indicate everything that happened after Quaid went to Recall was not real, merely a memory implant. But it was this line, "That's a new one...blue sky on Mars" in particular that sold it. However, talking to others about it, some have argued that everything in the movie actually happened. I'm leaning towards memory implant, but still not 100% positive, which is probably the intent. The whole movie is ambiguous enough to bring me back again and again.
Old 06-23-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sundog
Re: Total Recall

That's all fine and dandy. But just because the filmmakers' comments remove any doubt, the film itself still contains those ambiguities and should not be discounted.
Actually I'm pretty sure Verhoeven stated he ended the movie to leave it with some ambiguity. Same with Blade Runner (well, until 15 years later when Scott decided he was a replicant). I know in Total Recall the fade to white was intended as a way to indicate it might be a dream, but he was hardly stomping his foot down to say that's how it is.

Nonetheless, both those films work on either level...there's definately room for either viewpoint.
Old 06-23-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't get Hell Comes To Frogtown, the whole movie.

In all seriousness, I could never grasp whether Quaid dreamed the entire story in Total Recall, or did he actually live and experience it.
Old 06-23-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thing about "Total Recall" is that the entire plot and ending of the movie is revealed right there in the Rekall memory implant room.

They show the woman he "gets" at the end and they also (i think) show the alien device on the screen in the background.

On a related note..

I still love the exploding head scene.

"Get ready for a suprise!" BOOM
Old 06-24-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ruderic
I don't get:

Being John Makovich

And to just mention a crappy movie just for the hell of it: A.I. Artificial Intelligence
I agree with you on BJM.

But (IMO) A.I. is a brilliant movie. It's only the ending that throws a wrench in the gears. Some like it, many hate it, but I don't know many who really *love* that ending.

I recently watched Dark City for the first time. I didn't get what the alien guys were trying to accomplish at the end. They wanted to inject their memories (or collective consciousness or whatever) into the human. For what reason? Did they want to repopulate their race through him or what?

Last edited by taa455; 06-24-05 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 11:01 AM

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I don't recall BJM being that difficult to understand. I thought most of it was pretty straight forward...

-JP
Old 06-24-05, 11:14 AM

malkovich, malkovitch malkovitch malkovitch. Malkovitch?

Napolean Dynamite, that's one movie I don't get. Not so much that I don't understand the movie, I don't understand how it became so popular. Does the mainstream movie audience enjoy this sort of thin on plot, character study type of movie? I don't know, I thought it was ok, but I just don't understand how it has received so much love from the mtv set.
Old 06-24-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The scene in GODFATHER where Kay visits the Corleone mansion to inquire on Michael's whereabouts, and is greeted by Tom Hagen. She sees a smashed up car nearby, and he explains "that was an accident, but nobody got hurt." Was that in reference to something that happened earlier? Those lines of dialogue seem to come out of nowhere in relation to the main topic.
Old 06-24-05, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Maybe I need to watch it again, but I don't recall BJM being that difficult to understand. I thought most of it was pretty straight forward...

-JP
You miss the point. It's not that I didn't understand it. I didn't "get it" in the sense that I find the whole premise to be too weird/ridiculous.
Old 06-24-05, 11:26 AM

Immortal I tried watching this last night and had to turn it off after 1/2 and hour or so. The bouncing back and forth between live action and CG characters w/o rhyme/reason/explaination was really distracting and made the plot hard to follow. I never did figure out if it was supposed to be some sort of virtual world or earth in the future w/ mutants/aliens/holograms/ (to exaplin the obviously CG creatures) and it created no desire within me to watch the whole thing to find out
Old 06-24-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by neilo13
Napolean Dynamite, that's one movie I don't get. Not so much that I don't understand the movie, I don't understand how it became so popular. Does the mainstream movie audience enjoy this sort of thin on plot, character study type of movie? I don't know, I thought it was ok, but I just don't understand how it has received so much love from the mtv set.
This one puzzles me too.

I wonder if the MTV generation even gets half of what made that movie funny to begin with: the whole throwback to the 80's vibe it gives. My wife also hates that movie, but teens seem to love it. I'd say it's almost similar to how popular Austin Powers became with the younger crowd.
Old 06-24-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did not get Starship Troopers. Or, I should say, the only message I got out of the movie is how cool it would be to be a nazi, which I assume was not the director's intention. I gathered that it was supposed to be a satire or a parody of fascism, but in good satire or parody the underlying theme is to ultimately expose the subject/target as something that's deserving of scorn or ridicule.

In Spinal Tap, it's funny that the band takes the Stonehenge set so seriously, while we, the viewers, can laugh at the ridiculousness of the big picture---WE see that the guys in the band are really (loveable) idiots, because we see the non-intended results of their dim-witted choices. In something more serious like George Orwell's 1984, we see how strict the society is, and how the citizens often willingly embrace it and believe the promises of the state, but we're also shown lots of subtle examples as to how those citizens are lied to, exploited, manipulated and ultimately dehumanized.

But in Starship Troopers, the young recruits are told that they're going to have to protect earth from evil bugs, that the war will be exciting and heroic, that they'll be proud and earn their citizenship, and they'll end up as heroes----and that's pretty much exactly what happens. If I didn't know the downside of fascism from other sources, I wouldn't have gotten it from this movie---so I really didn't get the point of this film at all, unless the director really is a neo-fascist.
Old 06-24-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
That makes sense. Where did you hear that?
It was either in a making-of special or during press interviews for the movie...in fact, I think it was during press for LETHAL WEAPON 4, and the two were talking about working together for the first time on #3.
Old 06-25-05, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by taa455
You miss the point. It's not that I didn't understand it. I didn't "get it" in the sense that I find the whole premise to be too weird/ridiculous.
Yes, perhaps I miss the point, but I wasn't aware that this thread was created so people would have a place to discuss which film premises they didn't appreciate.

-JP
Old 06-25-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
This one puzzles me too.

I wonder if the MTV generation even gets half of what made that movie funny to begin with: the whole throwback to the 80's vibe it gives. My wife also hates that movie, but teens seem to love it. I'd say it's almost similar to how popular Austin Powers became with the younger crowd.
I don't have any interest in ND simply because almost all the teens i work with do noting but talk about how great it is.

I liked Austin Powers because i realized it was a really great James Bond spoof/homage. I also remember seeing the first movie and then going to school and quoting lines with my friends...everyone looked at us puzzled as to what the hell we were saying. About 8 months later all i could hear from people was "Yeah baby!" this and "Shagadelic!" that.
Old 06-25-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I remember seeing Ghostbusters at the theater when I was 5 years old, and I was totally baffled by the scene where the female ghost hovers over Dan Akroyd, undoes his bealt, and then they cut to Dan making some goofy face. I knew something was going on but I had no idea what.

Sadly, 20 years later, I still don't.
Old 06-25-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
This one puzzles me too.

I agree, but I completely understand Austin Powers, slapstick/pardody/comedy is very poplar, so I'm not sure your analogy applies, but its better than any explanation I can come up with.
Old 06-25-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I'm your huckleberry."

always wondered what exactly it meant and where it was coming from.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~knuth...errysource.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.