Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interview with Avi Arad concerning future Marvel films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Interview with Avi Arad concerning future Marvel films

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 02:48 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
... but i know he puts a block on cyclops head so it reflects the light back at him.
Old 06-22-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Marvel really is going to burn out the audience by pulling out every B and C-level character available. Just because Daredevil and Blade were hits doesn't mean every other minor character can have a hit movie. Elektra was a disaster critically and commercially, Man-Thing went straight to video, and Blade Trinity bombed. Marvel needs to stick to the big guns (Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Hulk, Fantastic Four) and use the minor characters within the bigger stories.

Marvel's going to be in trouble if DC/Warner ever decide to start producing movies using the rest of their A-level heroes beyond the big three (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) that are much more familiar with mainstream America.
can't we have some thor? we need us a good norse-inspired film. i know it's gonna be hard to top erik the viking, but they have to make a go of it.
Old 06-22-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thor is mapped out. They want to do it LOTR style... whatever that means.
Old 06-22-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
"There is a director who should make 'Silver Surfer' — he is mentally committed to it. He's doing another movie now. What's most important to me about this guy, first, is that he's incredible with visuals. But he's also a spiritual guy, a Zen Buddhist."

Who's he talking about? Joseph Kahn?
Old 06-22-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how long till these movies start in the direct to video release.
Old 06-22-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Guess you haven't heard of Man-thing. showed on sci-fi and is coming out on dvd. by passed the whole theater.
Old 06-22-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thor is mapped out. They want to do it LOTR style
'Cept Thor isn't LOTR!
Old 06-22-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Yeah I'm sure they're just shaking thinking about the box office potential of an Aquaman film....
If it stars Vincent Chase and they have a cool costume...I'm there.
Old 06-22-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by William Fuld
"There is a director who should make 'Silver Surfer' — he is mentally committed to it. He's doing another movie now. What's most important to me about this guy, first, is that he's incredible with visuals. But he's also a spiritual guy, a Zen Buddhist."

According to google.com, George Lucas is a Buddhist Methodist and I hear he's pretty good at visuals.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pl/George_Lucas.html
Old 06-22-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Thor is mapped out. They want to do it LOTR style... whatever that means.
I think they mean epic fantasy/back-in-the-day, instead of having Thor here and now in like New York/fish-out-of-water (or maybe like HIGHLANDER).

Actually, HIGHLANDER would be a pretty good template for a Thor movie... flashbacks to the old days, etc.
Old 06-22-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
http://www.mtv.com/shared/movies/int...ad_avi_062005/

"It's no secret, we took a lot of sh-- for Ang Lee's 'Hulk,' for all the wrong reasons," Arad says, insisting that "I had a meeting with Universal [a few] weeks ago. We are going to make a Diet Hulk." Comparing Hulk to the classic image of Frankenstein's monster as a creature with an almost childlike curiosity, Arad says, "In movie one, we couldn't get into the curiosity thing. Hulk having a butterfly land on his hand? He would never [smash it]. The Hulk would be curious. He is like a baby, in a way." He says the sequel will arrive in theaters "no later than 2007."

Arad also insists that he would love to make a second, darker "Daredevil" movie: "I would make it in a second, as soon as could I get the rights back. We licensed it. If they'll give us the rights back, we'll make the movie." And then, of course, there's Daredevil's girlfriend, for whom Arad wears a cautionary red Lance Armstrong-type bracelet on his wrist, reminding him of past mistakes.

They found out the audience just wants to see Hulk Smash, so I think the formula will be pretty simple for that. And I also think that means it'll easily top the first 1, which was definitely an experiment. I doubt they'll ask Ang Lee to be back and I doubt he wants to do another Hulk movie. They need an action director. I'm thinking someone like Jonathan Mostow (T3, U-571, Breakdown) Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park 3), Wolfgang Peterson (Air Force One) or....*gulp* Michael Bay.

As for Daredevil, I loved the Director's Cut. It made the movie 100x better than the theatrical release. I'd be there for both sequels.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-22-05 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I know part of his job is to pimp every single possible project (possibly throwing stuff out there in this interview just to see if anyone famous bites), and I also know that most of these projects won't even get greenlighted anyway. but man, that's a lot of second and third (maybe fourth) tier characters. An ant man movie? really? And I consider him much more recognizable than Shang Chi or Iron Fist. As big a name as Thor is, he can't even support a monthly comic by himself. A Silver Surfer movie? How? Without the FF? (The Galactus force of nature thing I can see, because on the movie screen, the big-headed purple and blue guy would look really odd)

I have huge doubts that this FF movie will do well, and they're some of Marvel's founding characters. The most viable properties I see coming out of this are the Wolverine movie, the Captain America film (and that's a big maybe, since they probably won't go for Ultimate Cap), and maybe, someday, down the line an Avengers movie or something. Though I'd much rather see a good Avengers cartoon done in the style of JLU...

On the other hand, I'd kill for some second-tier DC movies: Titans, Shazam, or even Legion..
Old 06-22-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Marvel should pray each night that they at least have Spiderman...
Agreed. Marvel's movies have been crap lately. It's basically come down to Batman vs. Spider-Man. I don't have too much faith in the X-men franchise anymore.
Old 06-22-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The thing is, not all of these movies have to be, or even necessitate being a big event movie. What's a movie but a character with a story,well Marvel's sitting on 100's of characters each with years of stories. Why not try and translate some....some will definately not work and or be compelling, but a mid-budget movie with a mid-tier character released in the Spring can do alright for itself (Punisher).
Old 06-22-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld

Don't know if this matters but Kerry Conran came into my local comic store (DJ's Universal Comics in Studio City, CA) a few months ago saying he needed whatever Silver Surfer graphic novels/comics they had in stock.

Either he was doing research or had a mad passion for the Surfer that day.

Andrew
Old 06-22-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

None of those projects sound truly interesting to me. Here's to hoping Avi gets a few more Electras, to knock him down a level. Maybe if the Marvel movies start doing poorly at the box office, they'll actually take their time when making them and put out decent flicks.

one can only hope.
Old 06-23-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
They found out the audience just wants to see Hulk Smash
<--------

Of all these possible projects, the only other one I can get really exited about is Iron Man -- I always loved him. Plus, he's like Spiderman and Batman, where his alter-ego is actually an interesting character, with his own story to tell.

It would be really cool if Iron Man's first movie (i.e. - origin story) incorporated some of the old styles of costumes as we see the progression of the suit, starting with the clunky grey one, eventually landing at the final version.
Old 06-23-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
If it stars Vincent Chase and they have a cool costume...I'm there.
First off, who? Second, do you think you're in the minority?
Old 06-23-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's referring to "Entourage". Which is a great show on HBO.

Chase is an actor in this show and Aquaman is part of the second season's storyline.
Old 06-23-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
It would be really cool if Iron Man's first movie (i.e. - origin story) incorporated some of the old styles of costumes as we see the progression of the suit, starting with the clunky grey one, eventually landing at the final version.
I wonder if Tom Cruise still wants to be Iron Man. It's been some time ago, but I've read plenty of times he wants to be this super hero. Don't know if it'll ever happen.
Old 06-23-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok who is going to pay to see a ant man movie?
not I

secondly i think Fantastic Four is going to BOMB,maybe it will put a halt to all his stupid ideas
Old 06-24-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
The thing is, not all of these movies have to be, or even necessitate being a big event movie. What's a movie but a character with a story,well Marvel's sitting on 100's of characters each with years of stories. Why not try and translate some....some will definately not work and or be compelling, but a mid-budget movie with a mid-tier character released in the Spring can do alright for itself (Punisher).
I guess that makes some sense. For instance, I'm not even sure how many people even knew Blade was a comic when it first came out (and it certainly didn't bring people in to the comicstore looking for Blade comics). It was just a decent vampire hunter flick with a bankable star. Similarly, I guess Shang Chi or Iron Fist could mainly be kung fu flicks. It may even help if they're not huge names, because then audiences wouldn't come in with preconceived notions. That's the only way I see a movie like Ant man working: if they divorce him somewhat from his rather ridiculous comicbook roots.

That being said, I'm surprised Punisher was any kind of hit at all... to me, it was a terrible movie with gaping plot holes, and that's one character that I think still had enough popularity to make a decent movie out of.
Old 06-24-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I wonder if Tom Cruise still wants to be Iron Man. It's been some time ago, but I've read plenty of times he wants to be this super hero. Don't know if it'll ever happen.
I read an interview with Cruise which basically he said he is out of the project. It sounded like he wanted a better script and director.
Old 06-24-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only Marvel movie I am interested in is a take on 'Iron Man' and I bet they ruin that. I have not liked a single Marvel film yet.
Old 07-06-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Some Hulk sequel news from Cinemascape:

Loyal scooper Lizard wrote in with an update on the remake of HULK.

He said, "Well, here's what I found out : Universal isn't really doing it. It's going to be done through Marvel (independently, or close too) and it's called "Incredible Hulk". Bana is definitely not doing it - his contract was with Universal, and so on - so they're going to get a new Hulk. They're not going to be auditioning, but merely 'going out' to names. Should've guessed. Apparently the following guys could be either in consideration or in talks for the role : Dominic Purcell, Brendan Fraser, Adam Garcia. Typical bunch of names, if you ask me."

I would have to agree regarding the names, they all bore me personally.

Thanks to Lizard for the scoop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.