Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2009): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

[QUOTE=LiquidSky;9300021]Really? I think she's cute (minus the 1980s hair)

There were four actresses at the time who all had the same look. Add Jessica Harper to the ones named (Brooke, Margot, Karen). I was always a bigger fan of Karen than the others. And it was nice to see her in that Indy Jones film last year.
Old 03-02-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2009): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I'm not a fan of Gibson but love Mallick. I'll definitely see this.
Again, Mel Gibson is no longer in this.
Old 03-18-09, 01:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2009): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

apparently it's two movies and as Paul1957 pointed out one's in IMAX, here another online mention:

Malick IMAX film

well for some reason that link's not working here's the news:

[Tree of Life Update] It’s Going to be Two Movies!! One in IMAX!March 2nd, 2009

Apparently, there will be two Terrence Malick films to feast on in the near future. As reported over at AICN, the upcoming Malick film The Tree of Life, starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt, will be two full, separate movies, the first of which will be the narrative The Tree of Life which we’ve all been expecting while the second will be an “‘imax only’ feature depicting the birth and death of the universe.”

Furthermore, Douglas Trumbull, the guy who did the special effects on 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner, is helping shoot the films. In what capacity exactly it is not yet known. This is big news, considering that this guy was part of such a revolutionary time in special effects.

Apparently, both films will not be connected through their stories. Either way, this is exciting news. Malick’s only made four feature films before The Tree of Life, and, in my opinion, they’re all masterworks. And the last one with Sean Penn (The Thin Red Line) was especially brilliant.

I never thought I would see the day when a Malick film would be shot with an Imax camera, but, alas, here we are. And I am loving it. Here is the AICN report again, just in case you missed it.

~

word from in70mm is that some of 'Tree of Life' is rumoured to have been shot in 65mm:

~

After shooting parts of "The New World" in 70mm, Terrence Malick has once again chosen to shoot parts of his new film, "The Tree of Life", on 65mm negatives. Though this is still unofficial, this film is actually two: the other called "Voyage of Time". The best news is that unlike in the case of "The New World", "Voyage of Time" looks to be exhibited in 70mm and/or in IMAX.

Last edited by Giles; 03-18-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Malick + IMAX = cinema bliss.
Old 03-18-09, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

now if Warners could release The New World on blu - I could watch the nature shots all day.
Old 03-18-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad Pitt working with Malick and Tarantino this year. Very cool.
Old 05-25-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Hollywood Elsewhere:
A guy with relatively close proximity to Terrence Malick's Tree of Life has confimed what is common knowledge in some circles but has never been rock-solid confirmed, which is that, yes, there is a dinosaur sequence. "Apparently the depth of the father's (Brad Pitt) grief when [reason conveyed but omitted here] is so great that the film goes back to the beginning of time and charts evolution...I guess this includes dinosaurs," the Cannes guy says.

He also says the film is definitely "coming out in '09. The IMAX stuff takes up around 40 minutes and they are currently raising the money."
Old 05-25-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Terrence Malick + Dinosaurs = Universe tearing apart because of AWESOMENESS!
Old 05-25-09, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There were four actresses at the time who all had the same look. Add Jessica Harper to the ones named (Brooke, Margot, Karen). I was always a bigger fan of Karen than the others. And it was nice to see her in that Indy Jones film last year.
Karen Allen has always been beautiful, but holy shit, she's aged incredibly well. She's better looking now than she was 30 years ago, which is great because she was Crystal Skull's only saving grace.
Old 07-02-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brief, unsurprisingly vague interview with Tree of Life co-star Pell James, from Collider:
Question: Can you talk about The Tree of Life, the new Terrence Malick film?

Pell James: I shot Tree of Life with Terrence Malick which is such a dream. I have no idea when it’s going to come out, but I know I’m in it because he called me and said he didn’t cut me which is really nice because there’s this notorious story that Adrien Brody was going to be the big star and that he was in The Thin Red Line and he had a huge part in it and it was a big coup that he got it and then he got cut… I don’t even know if he had a speaking part in it at the end of the day the way they edited it — not because he wasn’t great but it just didn’t work for what Terrence had in mind and then he did The Pianist so he was fine. So you never know with him. He’s like such a notorious cutter.

How was it working with Terrence and also, can you talk a little bit about your character?

Pell James: I don’t think I can. I have no idea if I can. I meant to call him and ask him but I just didn’t get around to it. He’s pretty amazing to work with. I mean, it was such a dream. He’s one of those people that you have this dream list of people that you want to work with and you never really think that you’re going to end up working with him because God knows if he’s going to do another movie. He’s really doing them back to back now though. The crew was really great. It was in Texas and I had shot a movie in Texas a couple of years ago so it was like, “Hi pal!” Again, it was another kind of family like situation.

I hear rumors there are dinosaurs in The Tree of Life. Is that true?

Pell James: I’ve heard that too. I was not in a scene with a dinosaur. I will confirm that. I Google it like anyone else would because I wouldn’t ever dare ask him. I read the script and there’s very long descriptions of things and this and that. We weren’t exactly sure if the script was what was actually being shot. So, I don’t know but I’m excited.

So you don’t know when Tree of Life is coming out?

Pell James: I Google it all the time to get information. I don’t know. Hopefully soon.
Old 07-03-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

She doesn't seem completely there. I did like in The King and Surveillance though.
Old 04-19-10, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

test screening in austin, TX review: http://aintitcool.com/node/44711

i had no idea this movie was this far along.
Old 04-19-10, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nor did I...
Old 04-19-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And my axe...

I mean, I didn't know either.
Old 04-25-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Vanity Fair:
The Malick project will be (Douglas) Trumbull's first feature credit since Brainstorm. (Terrence) Malick is working on two films, a long-awaited cosmic family drama starring Brad Pitt called Tree of Life, and an accompanying IMAX movie. Like most who work with the notoriously secretive director, Trumbull was reluctant to discuss the project. But he hinted at a retro style of visual effects: "Terry is a friend," Trumbull said. "He said to me, 'I don't like CG.' I said, 'Why not do it the old way? The way we did it in 2001?'"
A 'cosmic family drama' eh? Sure, why not.
Old 04-25-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish this had "definitely" come out in 09. Can't wait to see both films.
Old 07-24-10, 04:26 PM

found this on a forum, supposedly taken from someone whose friend read one of script's first drafts (i wish i knew what website to site this from, aside from a music forum i post on):

"Tree of Life Synopsis

A friend has read an early draft of Terrence Malick's Tree of Life script "and here's what I can tell you, other than that it's wonderful," he writes. "Of course, there is a very good chance that the finished film will look nothing like this, given Malick's track record. But it really does appear to have borrowed not just a page, but several whole chapters from 2001: A Space Odyssey's book.

"The bulk of the script takes place in the 50s, as has been reported. The protagonist is Jack, the oldest of three brothers in a Texas family with more than a passing resemblance to the Malick family itself, as he learns about the ways of the world. The film starts off with the death of one of the brothers, the family in despair, then settles on the grown Jack (Sean Penn), depressed, in the modern world.

"Then, it basically goes somewhat Koyaanisqatsi on us, showing the despair of our world, of urbanity, etc. The idea being that Jack's despair is mirrored all around him, in man's alienation from the infinite. Or as the script puts if, 'The supreme misery...to find oneself abandoned to the busy dance of things which pass away.'

"All that, however, is basically prologue. As Jack searches for some kind of reconnection to the world, the film flashes back to the beginning of time. We see the creation of galaxies: 'The growth of the cosmos, the great epic of evolution, from the Big Bang through the long ages of geological time, down to the present day," it reads. The language here is absolutely beautiful -- half philosophy, half science, all poetry -- and we'll see how it works in the film, how much of it actually winds up in there, how much time it takes.

"But the dinosaurs are a very small part of it in the script, like half a page. We see them appear, then we see them wiped out, then we see the mammals begin to emerge.

"And then, we see Jack's childhood, his first discovery of the world, his connection to his parents, the arrival of his brothers, and their coming of age. The stuff with the family is wonderful, but it's not very plot driven, small little moments built on small little moments. The kind of thing only Malick can pull off. This is the bulk of the script itself, 100 pages or so out of 126.

"The third part of the film flashes forward, and we see the death of the universe. This is again in the mode of those early scenes that showed us the creation of the galaxy and of human life. We see the Earth grow hotter and then die, basically. We see the galaxy die, but then we see new ones come about, and we see the visual manifestation of the Multiverse theory.

"Again, so much of this is conveyed through such powerful language that it's hard not to come away from the script powerfully moved. The idea is not that the worries and cares of humans are smaller than a tiny speck of sand, but that we're part of some vast process, that 'the same power which burns in the stars and nebulae burns equally in us."

"To what extent it will be realized on screen, and how much time it will probably take, remains to be seen."
Old 07-25-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure why dinosaurs are getting people so excited. They were revolutionary back in 1993 -- today, not so much.
Old 07-25-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
found this on a forum, supposedly taken from someone whose friend read one of script's first drafts (i wish i knew what website to site this from, aside from a music forum i post on):

"Tree of Life Synopsis

A friend has read an early draft of Terrence Malick's Tree of Life script "and here's what I can tell you, other than that it's wonderful," he writes. "Of course, there is a very good chance that the finished film will look nothing like this, given Malick's track record. But it really does appear to have borrowed not just a page, but several whole chapters from 2001: A Space Odyssey's book.

"The bulk of the script takes place in the 50s, as has been reported. The protagonist is Jack, the oldest of three brothers in a Texas family with more than a passing resemblance to the Malick family itself, as he learns about the ways of the world. The film starts off with the death of one of the brothers, the family in despair, then settles on the grown Jack (Sean Penn), depressed, in the modern world.

"Then, it basically goes somewhat Koyaanisqatsi on us, showing the despair of our world, of urbanity, etc. The idea being that Jack's despair is mirrored all around him, in man's alienation from the infinite. Or as the script puts if, 'The supreme misery...to find oneself abandoned to the busy dance of things which pass away.'

"All that, however, is basically prologue. As Jack searches for some kind of reconnection to the world, the film flashes back to the beginning of time. We see the creation of galaxies: 'The growth of the cosmos, the great epic of evolution, from the Big Bang through the long ages of geological time, down to the present day," it reads. The language here is absolutely beautiful -- half philosophy, half science, all poetry -- and we'll see how it works in the film, how much of it actually winds up in there, how much time it takes.

"But the dinosaurs are a very small part of it in the script, like half a page. We see them appear, then we see them wiped out, then we see the mammals begin to emerge.

"And then, we see Jack's childhood, his first discovery of the world, his connection to his parents, the arrival of his brothers, and their coming of age. The stuff with the family is wonderful, but it's not very plot driven, small little moments built on small little moments. The kind of thing only Malick can pull off. This is the bulk of the script itself, 100 pages or so out of 126.

"The third part of the film flashes forward, and we see the death of the universe. This is again in the mode of those early scenes that showed us the creation of the galaxy and of human life. We see the Earth grow hotter and then die, basically. We see the galaxy die, but then we see new ones come about, and we see the visual manifestation of the Multiverse theory.

"Again, so much of this is conveyed through such powerful language that it's hard not to come away from the script powerfully moved. The idea is not that the worries and cares of humans are smaller than a tiny speck of sand, but that we're part of some vast process, that 'the same power which burns in the stars and nebulae burns equally in us."

"To what extent it will be realized on screen, and how much time it will probably take, remains to be seen."

Sounds amazing.
Old 07-25-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know back in '93 dinosaurs were trite and lame.

But these days I always get excited about dinosaurs!
Old 07-25-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like THE FOUNTAIN
Old 09-09-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Terrence Malick’s long-delayed The Tree Of Life finds a distributor, set for 2011 release

Originally Posted by A.V. Club
Fox Searchlight Pictures announced today that it has acquired notoriously patient auteur Terrence Malick’s next feature with plans for a 2011 release. The Tree Of Life is a 1950s period piece/family drama starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. The accompanying press release sheds a lot of light on the plot considering how little information had been previously gleaned from the always tight-lipped Malick:

The Tree Of Life is the impressionistic story of a Midwestern family in the 1950’s chronicling the journey of the eldest son, Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn), through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years – trying to reconcile the complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt). Jack finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith.”

Shot in Austin, Texas during spring of 2008, The Tree Of Life missed its initial Dec. 2009 release date by a long shot and has disappointed festival organizers by being a no-show at Cannes, Venice, Toronto, and New York. The struggles to release the film were no doubt compounded by the downfall of Apparition Films, the indie label that was initially slated to release The Tree Of Life. On Tuesday, Apparition laid off what remains of its staff, paving the way for Fox Searchlight to swoop in a save the day. It may still be a while before we can once again bask in the luster of Malick’s film, as Fox will likely wait until at least mid-2011 to ensure Oscar consideration, but Malick fans should be used to waiting by now.
LINK
Old 09-09-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another year, but at least we've got confirmation.
Old 09-09-10, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Fuck....I just want to see 5 secs of footage at least. Something to bite on, man.
Old 09-09-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

I'm sure we'll see some sort of trailer by the end of the year or beginning of the next.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.