DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/427275-tree-life-malick-2011-brad-pitt-sean-penn.html)

jaeufraser 06-17-05 04:49 PM

Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

http://ww1.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/june/111594.htm

2 Hollywood stars for Indian film
By: Sarita Tanwar
June 15, 2005

HOLLYWOOD BIGGIES: Colin Farrell (left) and Mel Gibson will star in the Terence Malik-directed Tree of Life. Mumbai-based production house Percept Picture
Company is set to sign the
$145 million deal within 24 hours
It looks like Indian cinema has finally made a dent in Hollywood. Indian production house Percept Picture Company is all set to be a part of India’s first truly Hollywood film, titled Tree of Life.

The film is a drama and will star Hollywood bigwigs Mel Gibson and Colin Farrell, and will be directed by Oscar-winner Terence Malik (Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven, Badlands).

Hush-hush deal

The deal for the film has been charted out and will be signed in the next 24 hours. An insider informs us that the film is a, “$145 million project and the company has been in negotiation for the last five months. It’s all very hush-hush right now. Percept will break the news next week as right now solicitors on both sides are going over the Memorandum of Understanding.”

Taking India places

Fifteen per cent of Tree of Life will be shot in India, while the rest will be shot on locations abroad. A source from Percept, who does not wish to be named, says, “This film will take India places in the Hollywood circles.”

Not confirming the news, Shailendra Singh, managing director, Percept Picture Company says, “I cannot comment on this right now. When I have something to say, we will announce it officially.”
Interesting, I'll watch anything Malick makes. Anyone heard much of this? I'm curious what it's about.

bjh_18 06-17-05 04:53 PM

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm extremely curious about it as well. I guess Malick liked working with Farrell enough to do another film with him.

Third Baseman 06-17-05 05:06 PM

Sounds very interesting, indeed.

RyoHazuki 06-17-05 05:40 PM

Gibson acting again is a good thing. I don't care too much for Farrell though. Maybe he'll suprise me.

B.A. 06-17-05 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Gibson acting again is a good thing.

I concur.

garmonbozia 06-18-05 03:08 PM

wow. nice news.
The New World is my most anticipated film this year because I love Malick's films......nice to see that a fifth film is on the horizon already......
thank god he has started making films again!
what was he doing those 20 years he was away from the film industry anyway?

cfloyd3 06-18-05 06:26 PM

Terrence Malick doing another film after The New World without a decade or two gap? At his age now maybe he was saving his energy to rise to extreme prominence in his later years. Malick with a $145 million dollar budget is going to be something else though that is for sure, this will be a groundbreaking epic. Days of Heaven and Badlands are perfect films so it is great to see him back.

Derrich 06-18-05 10:20 PM

From the topic, I thought the hottie from Deep Space 9 was working again.

D

SomeVoices 06-20-05 02:26 AM

Wow, this is some unexpected and good news.

The Bus 06-20-05 09:05 AM

Interesting...

Looks like Malick likes working with Farrell.

Geofferson 06-20-05 09:35 AM

Awesome news. :up:

NoirFan 09-21-08 07:49 PM

Now starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. Info taken from here, though there are some spoilers in the synopsis.

E Unit 09-21-08 07:58 PM

They filmed a good part of this in the Austin area a few months ago, as per the many Brangelina sightings reported in the local paper about seeing them at Wal-Mart.

PopcornTreeCt 09-21-08 09:25 PM

Glad to see this is back on. I love Malick's films.

bunkaroo 09-22-08 08:52 AM

Wait - two Malick films in a ten year span? Is he on speed?

GoldenJCJ 09-22-08 04:44 PM

^That would be Three(!) in 10 years (well, depending on when it's released). The guy's obviously on the Crank.

NoirFan 12-30-08 05:20 PM

From The Bay City Tribune:

McDonald said that the extras were dressed in period clothing that appeared to be from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s.

The scenes being shot cover a timeline going as far back as King Lear, featuring a local man to play him.

mikelowry 12-30-08 05:39 PM

Malick and Gibson...impressive. This something to look forward to.

NoirFan 12-30-08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikelowry (Post 9164433)
Malick and Gibson...impressive. This something to look forward to.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Now starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn.

Perhaps a mod could update the thread title?

Zen Peckinpah 12-30-08 09:42 PM

Fun fact: Sean Penn was considered for the Tyler Durden role in Fight Club, which, of course, Brad Pitt ended up playing.

I like Malick a lot, considering (A) his films are brilliantly and visually arresting and (B) he made one of the only watchable Richard Gere movies of all time, and the two leads, so count me in.

toddly6666 12-30-08 11:03 PM

I wish Days of Heaven had a better-looking actress. It was such a great film and Richard Gere's only real good movie, but I have trouble watching fish-lips Brook Adams. I know that Brooke Adams was that type of "attractive girl" from the late 70s (similar types like margot Kidder and Karen Allen), but damn, her looks are so dated and she is just ugly...

Paul1957 03-02-09 10:02 AM

re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2009): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Getting an IMAX release.

Giles 03-02-09 10:28 AM

what? Mallick's not shooting this in 70mm ??

;)

LiquidSky 03-02-09 10:35 AM

I'm not a fan of Gibson but love Mallick. I'll definitely see this.

LiquidSky 03-02-09 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9164961)
I wish Days of Heaven had a better-looking actress. It was such a great film and Richard Gere's only real good movie, but I have trouble watching fish-lips Brook Adams. I know that Brooke Adams was that type of "attractive girl" from the late 70s (similar types like margot Kidder and Karen Allen), but damn, her looks are so dated and she is just ugly...

Really? I think she's cute (minus the 1980s hair)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2u41vy9.jpg