Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Action Figures

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars Action Figures

Old 06-13-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars Action Figures

Is anyone collecting them.

I bought them for the Phantom Menace and Clone wars but not Sith - which was my favorite. Hope I'm not growing up or anything as vile as that.

They have a bunch of action figures from the OT for kids..the figures are exagerated and child like. In an odd way, I like them.

The extreme figures for some reason don't do it for me.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-14-05, 05:41 AM

I started collecting the Unleashed figures. I only want to get all the Darth's. I have Sidious, Maul, and Tyranus. I am still looking for the elusive Vader. The prices on the secondary market are outragous.
Old 06-14-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually stopped collecting the figures right after the Phantom Menace...I guess the Star Wars overload and the dissapointment of Phantom got to me...

Anyway for some reason the new movie sparked the collecting bug again, and I have picked up figures 1-44...and most of the vehicles...christ toys have come leaps and bounds since the old Kenner days...
Old 06-14-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I collected from 1993-TPM. I have basically every figure/variation up until then. I don't think I bought a single Phantom figure. It was figure overload for that movie. I collected some when AOTC came out with the blue backs. I collected the unleashed line up until the Tusken/Bossk/Secura wave. I wish they were cheaper I would still pick them up. $15 is just way to high, when sitting right next to it you can get a more detailed McFarlane(spawn) figure for half the price.

The only thing I bought from Sith are the exclusive Target Action figure/cup sets.

Other than that, I am pretty much free of my addiction. I still can't help going down the toy aisles though.
Old 06-14-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to be pretty obessive about the figures, and I have everything from 1977 to mid-2003. The last couple of years of Episode II had some unusually terrible distribution and I just lost patience with trying to keep track of what was coming out, what I didn't have yet, etc.

I've yet to buy a single Episode III toy, but I'll probably start scooping some up once the inevitable clearance sales start.
Old 06-14-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to collect the original figures when I was young, and managed to get most of them up to ROTJ.

With the 93 relauch to now I attempted to get every basic figure and have been mostly sucessful until recently. I am missing 1 from the Clone Wars line and 2 from the OTC line. I am fairly up to date on ROTS except I missed out on the Target Lava Vader.
Old 06-14-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an assortment of stuff. Vintage, POTF2, TPM, AOTC, POTJ, and ROTS.

Some examples of what I have:

Vintage Blue Saber Luke Jedi
Vintage ROTJ Darth Vader MOC
1997 Theater Edition Luke Jedi
Comm tech Leia
Comm tech R2D2
Chewbacca with C3PO in pieces
Fruit Loops Han Solo in stormtrooper disguise
Child Anakin
Count Dooku
Darth Vader changes to Anakin pack

And lots more.

Last edited by Class316; 06-14-05 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-14-05, 06:42 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep I use to collect them in the mid 90's when the new series came out. Given up as it too hard to keep up with them.
Old 06-14-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I really scaled back how many figures I bought. I just about bought only 4 from sith. I just felt like I really can't think of any real practical use for the regular figures. The Unleashed figures are good for statues.
Old 06-14-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought all the Phantom Menace ones and then all the Power of the Jedi but stopped after that. The figures are kinda small now and I don't really care for the way they make the lightsabers.
Old 06-15-05, 03:59 PM

The only Toys I have purchased out of the whole movies are Anakin and Obi Wan's ROTS electronic Lightsabers. And that should be about it unless they come out with Palpatine.
Old 06-24-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the Unleashed figures, minus the lack of movement. Star Wars III is the first one I've seen, so unfortunately I'm way behind and only have Obi-Wan and Anakin. Not that I want to get them all, I've seen three others aside from them, but there are a few I'd like, but there's probably no way I'll be able to ever afford them.
Old 06-24-05, 11:59 AM

The prices on the secondary market for the Unleashed figures are outragous. The sad thing is that I have seen every single figure in the stores when they were first released. If only a few years ago I would have stocked up on unmasked Vaders and then I could be living happy now.
Old 06-25-05, 02:27 PM

I have the addiction. Unfortunately I am at a stage in my life where I cannot support it. I began collecting with TPM and bought all of the regular figures that came in that line. I have expanded my collection both forwards and backwards. They are all unopened and hanging on a wall. I have only a couple from ROTS, but I can't help going down the aisles at stores looking at the toys whenever I am in a store. Since I know that my collecting days are almost over, I opened all of the new figures. It took me a couple of days to breaking my obsession of keeping them in their package, but I am glad that I did. If any of you want a good figure, go get the Super Articulated Clone Trooper #41. Unlike most of the toys in Star Wars history, you can bend its knees, arms, head, feet, etc. It is a great one to open and manipulate. It actually caused me to want to open the rest of my figures.
Old 06-25-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought every figure that came out from the toy line relaunch in 1995 all the way through 1997 when the wave that included Grand Moff Tarkin came out. After that I pretty much lost interest and would maybe buy a figure here and there that was cool. I did pick up every figure from the first wave of Episode I figures, but that was about it for me. The last figure I bought was the Bespin Luke from the Original Trilogy wave last year.
Old 06-26-05, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leechboy
The prices on the secondary market for the Unleashed figures are outragous. The sad thing is that I have seen every single figure in the stores when they were first released. If only a few years ago I would have stocked up on unmasked Vaders and then I could be living happy now.

So true....I just paid fifty bucks for a Han Solo Unleashed on Ebay. I started collecting the Power of the Force line that started coming out in 97'(or whenever it was)but ended up giving them to my son who has since opened and lost most of them.
Old 08-28-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dig up this old thread. I just bought these over the weekend.

$15 bucks each locally. I was not going to pass up on them since the old ones are so expensive.
Old 08-29-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leechboy

I wonder why? The POTF relaunch figures - current can be had for less than retail.
Old 08-29-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I collect the Unleashed line and have several standard figures from TPM, AOTC, and ROTS. I only collect the characters I like though. All of my figures are out of their boxes and on display. I love the unleashed line and wish I could get a Boba Fett and Han Solo but I can't afford those eBay prices. I did manage to get a Darth Maul for $36 on ebay. I couldn't resist for $36. But that's the most I've spent on a Star Wars figure.

Last edited by danicus007; 08-30-05 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to admit this, but I bought every figure in the Sith line including the Unleashed figures. No, I'm not the person that the 40 Year Old Virgin was based on... I'm happily married with a little girl on the way.

The new figures were just too good to pass up, and I had a bit of extra money sitting around. No idea what I'll do with them eventually, probably not going to sell them though. Maybe my kids will be into Star Wars and I can give them the whole collection some Christmas or something.
Old 08-30-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
I hate to admit this, but I bought every figure in the Sith line including the Unleashed figures. No, I'm not the person that the 40 Year Old Virgin was based on... I'm happily married with a little girl on the way.

The new figures were just too good to pass up, and I had a bit of extra money sitting around. No idea what I'll do with them eventually, probably not going to sell them though. Maybe my kids will be into Star Wars and I can give them the whole collection some Christmas or something.
You should have put your extra money on one of th SW statues by Gentle Giant, Attakus or Sideshow. Better bang for your buck.
Old 11-09-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are all losers!

Yours truly,

A man whose mother threw away all his original Star Wars toys from childhood because he "outgrew" them.

Old 11-09-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all of the orange and green carded POTF and a few from TPM, AOTC and Unleashed. It was a fun diversion for a few yrs there...but I'd unload them now if I could. And those Gentle Giant ones do look awesome... might just get one anyways.

Any ideas on the best way to sell off a collection..quickly? I guess there's always ebay... hmm...
Old 11-09-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You pretty much missed the boat. At best, your investment is down and old orange and green carded POTF figures like that would more than likely go for a couple bucks at most each. Find a dealer in your area and just unload them through them. Selling them on ebay would be slow and painful.
Old 11-10-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As an aside... I only have four figures left until The COLLECTION IS COMPLETE.

Revenge of the Sith that is....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.