Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

High Tension! (May include spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

High Tension! (May include spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The Wizard of Oz was all in Dorothy's head. I don't consider that movie a total waste because the Scarecrow is really a doofus farmhand.
Horrible analogy.
Old 11-17-05, 11:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe, but the entire film isn't negated because it was all a dream.
Old 11-18-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What sucks about these kinds of twists is that maybe only 1/100th of what is shown is real. Everything else could be made up by the "story teller." I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I watch movies like these.
Old 11-18-05, 01:51 AM

"I assure you, my entire tale is true."

Old 11-18-05, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
What sucks about these kinds of twists is that maybe only 1/100th of what is shown is real. Everything else could be made up by the "story teller." I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I watch movies like these.
My thoughts exactly. Not only that, but so much of this film was blatantly "made up by the storyteller," in that it couldn't be possible any other way, that this point was driven home with a furor.

-JP
Old 11-21-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it. Hated it. Not just because of the twist. The characters were stupid and so much didn't make sense. And as much as I didn't like it if they just played it straight forward it would have been much better.

This, Identity and the village all have the worst twist endings.
Old 11-21-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
My thoughts exactly. Not only that, but so much of this film was blatantly "made up by the storyteller," in that it couldn't be possible any other way, that this point was driven home with a furor.

-JP
Yup, it's a shame realy. As much as I loved the film up to that point, my opinion went 180 degrees, it went from love to hate. Yes, as much as I loved the first 3/4 of the movie, the ending made whole movie pointless. It worked in Sixth Sense, Fight Club, etc., but not here.

PS. How do we explain "getting head" from the "head". I could believe the guy using it for orall sex, but how would a woman?
Old 11-22-05, 04:58 AM

IT...WAS...ALL...IN...HER...HEAD.

As far as the characters, it was a throwback to slasher films of the 80s. The chararcters ar supposed to be stupid. How many movies of the period would have ended if the character had simply turned on the light to go into the basement or NOT investigated that noise and instead called the police? Scream states that people who have sex in horror movies get killed. That's not the case. Distracted people get killed, sex is incidental. Stupid characters is what the genre thrives on.

Anyway, why is it such a big deal that it turns out to be in her head? That's not unheard of in a movie. If people weren't so spoiler adverse to films that are freely available and have been for years, I might name a particular example that I believe is a good fit. Here it is in spoiler quotes, but I can't warn you in advance what it is:
Spoiler:
American Psycho

Yeah, that one probably has a little more behind it's revelation (or was it???), being a
Spoiler:
satire
, than High Tension, but it's still the same basic premise. I think most people are just pissed as a backlash against M. Night Shamalan. She suffers from disassociative personality disorder and is telling the doctors a false story involving multiple personalities. We don't know what's true and what's not. That's the movie. It's not a freaking crime against nature that they didn't explain that to you when the movie starts (although they hint at it). You either like it or not. If you liked it up until that point and then are pissed, you missed the clues that it was not the way she says it was. All I can say is, sorry. Get over it, or don't. Ninety percent of everything is crap, and that goes doubly for Horror. It's a shame to dismiss a perfectly fine Horror film just because the filmmakers didn't end it like you expected. You want that? Go back to the Jason movies. My first viewing had a similar reaction because it seemed the filmmakers cheated. Turns out they didn't. I'm OK with it and can enjoy it for what it is.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-22-05, 09:33 AM

IT...WAS...ALL...IN...HER...HEAD.
OHHHH, well why didn't somebody just say that in the first place? I get it now. Great film!

-JP
Old 11-22-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
OHHHH, well why didn't somebody just say that in the first place? I get it now. Great film!

-JP
Why is it so hard for you to move on from this? You keep defending/agreeing with all replies that are negative. Ok, we get it - you didn't like the movie because of the end.

I don't understand why this movie gets called out for utilizing the same "move" that has been seen in other movies.

I call bullshit on Fight Club (which by the way I think is a piss poor film) it utilized practically the same method......oh but wait, since they showed a few flash backs and turned it into a sci-fi film at the end
Spoiler:
that ridiculous scene where Edward Norton shoots himself and uh....lives
it's okay right? the film makes no fucking sense and regardless of what people say, everything shown to detail that
Spoiler:
Norton & Pitt are the same person
DOES NOT come together.....but yet it gets praised to no end. Why? Who knows but I'm sure as shit not going to sit around and nit pick a film that I hate.

High Tension wasn't for you, no big deal. You've stated your opinion more than once and I think it's time for you to move on. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-22-05, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
You've stated your opinion more than once and I think it's time for you to move on. Just a suggestion.
Funny that the people who seem to agree with you have gotten no similar, ranting post telling them to move on. This forum is a place where we can discuss films. If I've invested my time (and in most cases, money) into watching a relatively highly acclaimed film...only to discover that it's manipulative and lazy, I'll come here to post about it. If people make posts raising good points that I haven't yet thought of or mentioned, I'll agree with them. If people keep attempting to explain an obvious plot point to me (ie: "it was all in her head"), I'll offer a sarcastic response on the sixth time around (give or take).

"...I think it's time for you to move on." Guy, I'm allowed to post about any film I like, as many times as I like. I've broken no rules, and I've done nothing that many others don't do in practically every other thread on this website. In another thread, you listed this as one of your five favorite movies of all time. As such, I can see why you'd be bothered by users who repeatedly point out how fucking horribly written it is. If you want to defend this movie that you so adore...have at it. But I'll tell you up front that the proper approach is not one that involves you trying to run me off simply because I disagree with you, and have made that known. So all in all, thanks for the suggestion, but fuck off.

-JP
Old 11-22-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Funny that the people who seem to agree with you have gotten no similar, ranting post telling them to move on. This forum is a place where we can discuss films. If I've invested my time (and in most cases, money) into watching a relatively highly acclaimed film...only to discover that it's manipulative and lazy, I'll come here to post about it. If people make posts raising good points that I haven't yet thought of or mentioned, I'll agree with them. If people keep attempting to explain an obvious plot point to me (ie: "it was all in her head"), I'll offer a sarcastic response on the sixth time around (give or take).

"...I think it's time for you to move on." Guy, I'm allowed to post about any film I like, as many times as I like. I've broken no rules, and I've done nothing that many others don't do in practically every other thread on this website. In another thread, you listed this as one of your five favorite movies of all time. As such, I can see why you'd be bothered by users who repeatedly point out how fucking horribly written it is. If you want to defend this movie that you so adore...have at it. But I'll tell you up front that the proper approach is not one that involves you trying to run me off simply because I disagree with you, and have made that known. So all in all, thanks for the suggestion, but fuck off.

-JP
JP my friend, the guy didn't like Fight Club, so what can we really expect from him?

Fight Club didn't fit together...what the fuck ever. Convient criticism from someone who simply didn't like the movie (and that's cool). But don't invent criticism that isn't there. You can say you don't like the way it was shot, the story, the acting, any number of things that are arguably subjective, but to say that it doesn't fit together when it so clearly, and obviously does, is short-sighted, and frankly, re-fucking-diculous.
Old 11-23-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-JP
I pretty much predicted this exact response but believe me.....it has NOTHING to do with how much I love this movie.

I just don't understand why you would keep bitching about a movie you hate so much.

you even went as far as to get your ass suspended over it.

I could care less how many times you post (wait.....I mean "bitch") but I have to admit........It's pretty damn funny seeing you get all emotional over it
Old 11-23-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
JP my friend, the guy didn't like Fight Club, so what can we really expect from him?
Dude please, I mean seriously......you own every episode of "friends".

Hey, if you think fight club is a great movie......that's great. Awesome.
Old 11-23-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude please, I mean seriously......you own every episode of "friends".

Hey, if you think fight club is a great movie......that's great. Awesome.
That's right. And I own Casablanca and Citizen Kane too. So the fuck what? I never claimed I was a movie historian or expert, just a guy that likes a wide variety of stuff. But then again, I don't troll boards forcing my under-educated and misguided opinions of movies on anyone.

And until you post your own collection, you don't get to make ANY reference to anyone else's. That's like making fun of a guy who drives a Kia when you take the damn bus.
Old 11-23-05, 06:25 AM

I brought up the in her head thing because the post previous to mine had again needed it. Apparently it is hard for some people to get no matter how many times it's said. We know you get it. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. That's the story they wanted to tell.
Old 11-23-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I brought up the in her head thing because the post previous to mine had again needed it. Apparently it is hard for some people to get no matter how many times it's said. We know you get it. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. That's the story they wanted to tell.
My wife had MAJOR problems with the resolution of this movie, for much the same reasons as everyone here. I tried to explain it away by saying that NOT everything on the screen was actually happening in reality, but she wouldn't see past some of the major disconnects. I absolutely agree with her, but I liked it anyway. But I've always had a soft spot for a girl who uses a dresser to decapitate a man.
Old 11-23-05, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I've always had a soft spot for a girl who uses a dresser to decapitate a man.
Old 11-23-05, 07:57 AM

I just don't understand why you would keep bitching about a movie you hate so much.
As opposed to what, bitching about a movie that I liked?

you even went as far as to get your ass suspended over it.
Oh? That's news to me.

I could care less how many times you post (wait.....I mean "bitch")
...then why type out a long-winded post telling me to move on?

-JP
Old 11-23-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High Tension is awesome.
So is Fight Club.
Wizard of Oz is pretty good too.

HOORAY FOR OPINIONS. Some of you guys sound really emotional about all this. It's just a movie. Some people are going to like it and some are not. Who cares? We're all going to die anyway. And if it's because my head is decapitated with a piece of furniture, then so be it.
Old 11-23-05, 08:21 AM

It's pretty damn funny seeing you get all emotional over it
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Some of you guys sound really emotional about all this.
...what's with all this talk about people getting emotional? "Hooray for opinions," yeah, but what's the point of having an opinion if you can't discuss it? I hate when people come to a message board set up specifically for people to discuss movies, then find it odd when they find, le gasp, people discussing movies. "Who cares," you ask? Obviously you do. After all, you're here for the same reasons we are...to talk about movies. If not, you've stumbled into the wrong forum, and perhaps that would explain your surprise to find so many people discussing their opinions of movies here.

-JP
Old 11-23-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I agree with you! High Tension was great.

Anyway, just to get you going again...How can you say something like this in the Zathura thread and yet continue to go on about how High Tension made no sense?

This movie is obviously fantasy. If you're going to try to pick at the plot from a logical standpoint, you've picked the wrong genre to do so in.

Last edited by dadaluholla; 11-23-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-23-05, 11:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've broken no rules, and I've done nothing that many others don't do in practically every other thread on this website.
So all in all, thanks for the suggestion, but fuck off.
-JP
Maybe you hadn't before, but at this point you've crossed the line.
Old 11-23-05, 11:29 AM

The two movies are entirely different. Like I said in the quote: logically picking at Zathura's plot is a fruitless endeavor because of it's genre. Fantasy and science fiction are genres that blatantly break the rules (time travel being the case in point...there are no logical rules governing time travel. As such, logically picking apart a movie with aspects of time travel is impossible). In sci-fi and fantasy movies, there are no boundaries for the storytelling. If a movie is supposedly set in "the real world," as High Tension was, it's governed by different rules than a sci-fi or fantasy movie. There are no paradoxes in the real world...something is possible or it isn't.

Short answer: Zathura made sense within it's own reality. High Tension didn't.

-JP
Old 11-23-05, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dead
Maybe you hadn't before, but at this point you've crossed the line.
How do you figure? My wording, perhaps? The guy tells me to "move on," I tell him to "fuck off." Same difference, save the semantics...no?

-JP