Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A new JAWS may be on the way...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fangoria.com
An attendee at last weekend’s Jawsfest in Martha’s Vineyard wrote in to Cinescape, reporting that a new entry in the cinematic shark franchise may be on the way. “I [went] to the animatics session with [JAWS production designer] Joe Alves,” says the scooper. “It was an early morning chat about how they made ‘Bruce’ work, conducted at the Church. Interesting stuff, not the least of all…the bit on the new JAWS they’re trying to make. Apparently Richard Dreyfuss might be coming back in a new JAWS movie, and they’re trying to design a shark at the moment that’s more flexible than Bruce was, without having to resort to CGI.” With all the killer-shark movies continuing to flood the video market, it’s no real surprise that Universal may be trying to resurrect the franchise that started it all; we’ll keep you posted. Meanwhile, the 30th Anniversary DVD of JAWS, with a two-hour documentary and other extras, debuts next Tuesday, June 14 from Universal Home Entertainment.
I guess at the moment it's still just be rumored, but it could be interesting if done right.
Old 06-12-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaws: The Revenge 2 - This time it's even more personal than the last time!
Old 06-12-05, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never any of the Jaws films, so suprisingly this excites me. I'd like to see a famous shark movie sequel on the screen than a new shark movie.
Old 06-12-05, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Para Para
I've never any of the Jaws films, so suprisingly this excites me. I'd like to see a famous shark movie sequel on the screen than a new shark movie.
You've never what? Seen? Hated? Cared for? Worked on?

L8r
Old 06-12-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Capser Van Dien = No Sale.
Old 06-12-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I know is the shark better have a frickin' laser on it's head.
Old 06-12-05, 04:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Why bother? CBS's Spring Break Shark Attack is THE quintessential shark movie and will never be topped.
Old 06-12-05, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
You've never what? Seen? Hated? Cared for? Worked on?

L8r
I've never seen the movies. How could I forget the most important word.
Old 06-12-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another dumb idea from Hollywood. There's no way you can top or even equal the original. So why bother?
Old 06-12-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Another dumb idea from Hollywood. There's no way you can top or even equal the original. So why bother?
Why is it dumb if it's coming from Spielberg, Dreyfuss and Benchley? I can see if it was something just thrown up for the sake of making money off the past or some weak shit like Meg or Deep Blue Sea, but I can go along with it (as long as it doesn't reach Jurassic Park 2 stinkiness).

For years, I've had 2 stories I wanted to see onscreen: a Hooper story about how the first movie affected his career, how Brody's death may have also affected him and what happens if he's put in a similar situation and a Quint backstory showing what happened on the Indianapolis.
Old 06-12-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's nothing in that article about it coming from Spielberg and Benchley.
Old 06-12-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There's nothing in that article about it coming from Spielberg and Benchley.
Because Fangoria is a reputable news source

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20383

Christopher Bell scoops Quint on JAWSFEST! New JAWS with Spielberg & Dreyfus in '07?
Hey folks, Harry here... Somewhere in and amongst the teeming masses of shark-loving JAWS geeks is Quint... He's probably chumming the waters around the beaches for these masses. You know he's hoping for a 3 ton, 25 foot Great White to attack these geeks, so he can scratch a Chalkboard! But for now... he can't scratch the net, as apparently one can't get on the internet in Martha's Vineyard... Martha is a bit of a bitch when it comes to modern amenities it seems. Could Spielberg make a new JAWS film? I just don't know what I think of that. Here ya go...

A report from Marthas Vineyard! and JAWSFEST '05!

It's been fab here this past week - for 3 days we played host to a great JAWS extravaganza and I see no one has reported on it yet, so would love the honor.

Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven and West Tisbury were transformed into 'Amity Island', to celebrate the anniversary of JAWS.

It's a grand sight. Bonfires by night, workshops about the film, autographs with benchley and company, shark displays and predominatly, an audience with the team involved. 'Bruce', the shark from the movie, was re-created for the event - and it's been doing the rouds on the back of a truck. I went on a tour of the movie locations today, and although there was no Quint and company - not even a recreation - it was still interesting to see where this LANDMARK movie was made.

No Spielberg though, or Dreyfuss, or Scheider. I do believe Lance Guest from Jaws 4 was there though - at least I believe it was him.

Anyway, a couple of bits of news to start off the report. There's two news JAWS projects in the works - a new documentary movie, and a new movie.

the documentary will be called JAWS - THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING, and it's "everything you've seen at the festival over the past few days - as well as interviews with a lot of the crew who worked on the film", said Benchley.

In addition, there's talk of a new movie. Benchley said at the workshop that he hears rumors of a new movie all the time, but he's not writing it. "Must be gathering steam because I hear Spielberg and Dreyfuss have discussed it recently...but no, not with me", he laughs. He said they'd probably have the money to make a great looking shark nowadays. NOW this got me excited - Dreyfuss returning for Jaws 5? and Spielberg? But boy, Benchley really should write it I think.

Later, writer Carl Gottlieb apparently told locals that he's heard a Summer 2007 release for a new jaws. i didn't hear any of that - but im sure someone will write in and tell u if they did.

Spielberg was on video before the film's screening and talked about how long the movie's life has been. "I think it's amazing, the shelf life it has had," he said.

It was also good to hear the stories of Production designer Joe Alves. he said originally JAWS was going to shoot in Nantucket but because of a storm he was forced to make a stop in the Vineyard. He then discovered the locations that would be used for the movie.

One of the other writers on the movie spoke about the people here in a kind-of sarcastically nasty way i thought though - he said you didn't want us here originally, and now look - you're all celebrating our return. may be true, but it came out a little wrong. still, he had some interesting things to say about the movie too.

And finally, we were teased with some of the extras on the JAWS DVD - there's some new scenes we haven't seen before and a new interview with steven, among other things, it looks good.

Anyway, till next anniversary!

this is Christopher Bell, reporting from Massachusetts.
Old 06-12-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's already been a movie about the Indianapolis. It's called "Mission of the Shark: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis" It was a tv movie that wasn't very good, but nevertheless.
Old 06-13-05, 08:31 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by devilshalo
how Brody's death may have also affected him
As far as I'm concerned, Brody never died...that's right, just wipe JAWS 3 and 4 out of your head, and you'll feel a lot better...
Old 06-13-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why is it dumb if it's coming from Spielberg
All I see is rumors, nothing about it coming from Spielberg. This reeks of studio wanting more cash.

Personally, I'd rather see new stuff from Spielberg, just like I would like to see Lucas forget the Star Wars TV show and move onto his Red Tails movie.
Old 06-13-05, 10:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it dumb if it's coming from Spielberg, Dreyfuss and Benchley?
According to the article you posted Benchley will NOT be writing it. And Dreyfuss and Spielberg are merely "discussing" it, which frankly could mean anything. If anything I imagine Spielberg would come on as a producer, but directing it might be a stretch.
Old 06-13-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it is as funny as JAWS THE REVENGE, I'll be there!
Old 06-13-05, 11:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's about time. Jaws 4 left me with a lot of unanswered questions.

Like: how does Michael Caine remain bone dry after being fully immersed in the ocean?
Old 06-13-05, 11:37 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Groucho
Like: how does Michael Caine remain bone dry after being fully immersed in the ocean?
He's British...nuff said.
Old 06-13-05, 01:36 PM

I don't remember Brody's death... what, was it in Jaws 4? I saw the first 3 in the theater, never bothered with 4 after the 3-D in part 3 was so lame (like the movie).
Old 06-13-05, 01:52 PM
Banned

It was referenced in JAWS 4...the actual death was an off-screen, in-the-past event.
Old 06-13-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
It was referenced in JAWS 4...the actual death was an off-screen, in-the-past event.
So much for wiping the existence of 3 and 4 out of your head.

Brody had died of a heart attack somewhere between 3 and 4, tho Ellen blamed the shark(s). He was a smoker tho, so the heart attack is reasonably believable.

As for Benchley, I'd rather not have him write (tho it kinda gives the film, if it ever happens, a little more credibility). I've read his White Shark and I'm going to pick up Creature, but I have to say, White Shark was pretty bad. Not quite Meg bad because Meg didn't take itself too seriously. And with his recent "I love sharks" stance, it may bias his writings to make the shark a more sympathetic character.

If it happens, it happens. I'll criticize it when I see it. I still like the possibility of catching up with the Hooper character 30 years later.
Old 06-13-05, 03:47 PM
Banned

So much for wiping the existence of 3 and 4 out of your head.
Let's just say I have a selective memory; when I put the original JAWS in, the part of my memory allocated to JAWS 4 is shunted into the OFF position.
Old 06-14-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for Benchley, I'd rather not have him write (tho it kinda gives the film, if it ever happens, a little more credibility). I've read his White Shark and I'm going to pick up Creature, but I have to say, White Shark was pretty bad. Not quite Meg bad because Meg didn't take itself too seriously. And with his recent "I love sharks" stance, it may bias his writings to make the shark a more sympathetic character.
So what is the consensus on Meg, for those who have read it? I've heard a lot of negative reviews, but I've also heard a lot of positive reviews. I loved Jaws (it's my favorite movie of all time) and know for a fact that Meg will never be as good of a movie as Jaws was, but I enjoyed reading Meg much more than Peter Benchley's Jaws. Sure it didn't flow that well and the writing seemed almost amateurish, but it sure was entertaining and I really liked it. I read it cover to cover in only 2 days (3 sittings), which is pretty damn fast for me. I'm reading the second one right now. Anyway, I'll definitely see the movie when it comes out but I was just wondering what people thought of the book.
Old 06-14-05, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So what is the consensus on Meg, for those who have read it? I've heard a lot of negative reviews, but I've also heard a lot of positive reviews. I loved Jaws (it's my favorite movie of all time) and know for a fact that Meg will never be as good of a movie as Jaws was, but I enjoyed reading Meg much more than Peter Benchley's Jaws. Sure it didn't flow that well and the writing seemed almost amateurish, but it sure was entertaining and I really liked it. I read it cover to cover in only 2 days (3 sittings), which is pretty damn fast for me. I'm reading the second one right now. Anyway, I'll definitely see the movie when it comes out but I was just wondering what people thought of the book.
Two words..."JURASSIC SHARK!"

Actually I am reading the 3rd one, they are good easy reads. I think, if nothing else, it could look great on screen. The plots are kind of by the numbers however.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.