Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Emperor Hologram

Old 06-16-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Another possibility not mentioned is even more simple--The Emperor has found the name of the destroyer of the Death Star and connected the dots. He has told Vader the responsible party is his son. Vader literally doesn't grasp how this is possible (he was told he killed Padme, and saw her crippled--still pregnant--on Mustasfar; he's justifiably confused as to where a living child entered the equation). He is obsessed with finding Luke because a) his Master mandates it and b) he is consumed with desire to find out if this (im)possibility is, in fact, true, but until he can confront Luke first-hand and know for certain he is "the son of Anakin Skywalker", he remains perplexed and doubtful...
Well that would be a lot like Scenario #1 that I described. And there's no way that's the case. Vader knew exactly who Luke was when he was searching for him at the beginning of Empire.
Old 06-16-05, 10:37 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why? How are you so sure? He'd never even laid eyes on the boy...it was only in combat with him, witnessing how strong with the Force Luke was, that he could know for certain...
Old 06-16-05, 11:06 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Or it's meant to show how Vader is trying to deceive the Emperor.
That's exactly the case. He said in ROTS that he wanted to overthrew him and rule the galaxy with Padme. After getting crippled he can no longer do it on his own.

Originally Posted by Doughboy
The only problem with that is Palpatine would never be dumb enough to believe that Vader didn't know the truth already.
Not a problem at all. The Emperor is just playing dumb as well. He wanted a more powerful apprentice. He wanted Vader to bring him to him, so he could get Luke to kill Vader, turn to the dark side and join him.

Having Vader try to turn Luke first just made it easier for him in his mind, as those would be Luke's first steps toward the darkside.
Old 06-16-05, 11:07 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Why? How are you so sure? He'd never even laid eyes on the boy...it was only in combat with him, witnessing how strong with the Force Luke was, that he could know for certain...
The obvious answer was after the Death star was destroyed it would have been all over the news that Luke Skywalker was the one to do it.

Then all vader had to do was put 2 & 2 together.
Old 06-16-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh-oh! Seems the hologram issue touched off an argument about the dialogue in the scene.
Old 06-16-05, 01:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The obvious answer was after the Death star was destroyed it would have been all over the news that Luke Skywalker was the one to do it.

Then all vader had to do was put 2 & 2 together.
That's foolish reasoning...as with any last name, the Skywalkers featured in the STAR WARS storyline would not have been the only Skywalkers in the whole universe. He would have needed more than just that last name to be certain beyond all shadow of a doubt that the Skywalker who destroyed the Death Star was, in fact, the offspring of Padme and Anakin.
Old 06-16-05, 01:28 PM
Retired

Come on though, he felt he was very strong in the force, and THEN finds out his name is Skywalker, he's certainly going to think that is probably his son.

Maybe not "beond a shadow of a doubt" but he didn't need that kind of certainty.

But if you want to play that card, then....

Thus he was searching for him both to try to turn him and to confirm his hunch, and just plays dumb when the emperor mentions it (as well as having his suspicions confirmed).
Old 06-19-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that the new scene doesn't make sense if the crawl for ESB remains unchanged. It should now say something like: Vader is obsessed with finding the Rebels who blew up the death star...or finding the gifting young pilot who blew up...

But Vader needs to learn about Luke in a scene that happens on camera.

Filmmaker - are you saying that Vader is so lost from his original self that he doesn't consider himself a skywalker or even remain that life?
Old 06-19-05, 08:06 PM

[quote]are you saying that Vader is so lost from his original self that he doesn't consider himself a skywalker or even remain that life?[quote]

I believe so. If you remember in ROTJ, Luke calls Vader Anakin. Vader snaps back at him "that name no longer has any meaning for me."

I think it's evident that both Vader and the Emperor have their own motives, and that Vader is playing coy with the Emperor. Vader clearly wants Luke to join him so they can kill the emperor and rule as father and son. Emperor wants replace Vader with Luke, so he wants Luke to kill Vader and take his place by his side.
Old 06-20-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting points about the new dialog. I guess you could always look at it as Vader is playing coy with the Emperor...or like another poster stated Skywalker is a common name...his obsession with finding him revolves at first on discovering if infact this is his son, and when the Emperor confims it is, Vader wonders how this is possible if Padme was killed by him.
Old 06-20-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[QUOTE=Terrell][quote]are you saying that Vader is so lost from his original self that he doesn't consider himself a skywalker or even remain that life?

I believe so. If you remember in ROTJ, Luke calls Vader Anakin. Vader snaps back at him "that name no longer has any meaning for me."
I always figured he was so self-loathing for what he'd done and what he'd become, that he never wanted to hear the name Anakin Skywalker again. Which is one other reason I prefer the original Emperor/Vader dialogue. I liked how the Emperor when out of his way to not the say the name Anakin and referred to Luke as "the son of Skywalker" as if Anakin and Vader were separate entities.
Old 06-20-05, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
his obsession with finding him revolves at first on discovering if infact this is his son, and when the Emperor confims it is, Vader wonders how this is possible if Padme was killed by him.
This is precisely the case I'm making...
Old 07-01-05, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE=Doughboy][QUOTE=Terrell]
are you saying that Vader is so lost from his original self that he doesn't consider himself a skywalker or even remain that life?

I always figured he was so self-loathing for what he'd done and what he'd become, that he never wanted to hear the name Anakin Skywalker again. Which is one other reason I prefer the original Emperor/Vader dialogue. I liked how the Emperor when out of his way to not the say the name Anakin and referred to Luke as "the son of Skywalker" as if Anakin and Vader were separate entities.
My theory is that Vader kind of lost it when padme died and he was burned by obi wan and put into that suit. All memories of his former life were erased with time. Like Obi Wan said, "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father". Anakin's name was not just changed, he was changed as well. sort of like gollum and smeagle. so in a way Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker are really two different people.
Old 07-03-05, 03:46 AM

I for one am glad that they changed the hologram to reflect Ian rather than dat' other guy!
You mean that other old woman. The original emperor hologram was an old woman in a mask.
Old 07-04-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, infallible logic. It was a guy in a mask.

And the dialogue was skewered indeed. Opening words already state Vader as obsessed in finding Luke. Jus waiting for the 77,80,83 editions.
Old 07-04-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
All I know is the guy who was the voice of the Emperor in ESB was Clive Revill. He was Kickback in The Transformers.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0720890/