Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yoda = Hypocrite?

Old 06-03-05, 06:21 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoda = Hypocrite?

IN ESB, he tells Luke, "Jedi use the force for knowledge and defense never for attack"

I'd say he clearly attacked those red guards in ROTS, who just tried to block him, and were just doing their jobs.
Old 06-03-05, 06:42 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dude I'm not quite sure if this is a valid point. Anyway, I'm sure they were going to hurt him and he sensed it.
Old 06-03-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's just part of his training. When I was taking Tae Kwon Do they taught me the same thing: a true master never uses his training to attack. It's something they constantly have to grind into the minds of novices to teach them discipline when it comes to mastering something that carries with it such power. It's easy for a novice to misuse his early training and become dangerous - i've seen it many, many times. After Luke learns more about the Force he develops the discipline to command the Force if and when needed.
Old 06-03-05, 07:09 PM

Isn't this the point in the movie where the Clone Troopers are "purging" or killing off all the Jedi? I think it was clear to the audience that their orders was to kill all the Jedi. This is what Yoda sensed. I doubt Palpatine thought the CloneTroopers were skilled enough to trap or take Yoda prisoner. Skilled enough to shoot Jedi's in the back? Sure.
Old 06-03-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... he's defending the Jedi's by taking out the agressor. The red guards weren't attacking yet. but they were moving to do so. He used his powers to defend himself.

this thread = pointless.
Old 06-03-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, "only to defend" does not necessarily mean defending yourself from imminent death. One could be, for example, "defending the republic" or ones friends, or many other things. Who is the defender and who is the attacker is not always a matter of who shoots first.

j
Old 06-03-05, 09:58 PM

What is wrong with you people? The poster is obviously right. I would have rather seen Yoda simply ask the nice Red Guards to remove themselves so that him and Palpy could discuss their inner feeling over a nice mocha-latte.

Old 06-04-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
When I was taking Tae Kwon Do they taught me the same thing: a true master never uses his training to attack.
Just once, I think it would be funny for someone to say, they took karate/kung-fu/tae kwon do in order to go out and kick some ass not for defense.
Old 06-04-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Boot to the head!
Old 06-04-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
this thread = pointless.
Well that's certainly nice.
Old 06-07-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Just once, I think it would be funny for someone to say, they took karate/kung-fu/tae kwon do in order to go out and kick some ass not for defense.
Actually, I did take it so I could learn how to kick ass, but after 3 years I no longer wanted to. In fact, I actually became less violent in general. Hm.
Old 06-07-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Toad
Well that's certainly nice.

and it was also nice that you seemed to forget that I did respond with my opinion. I was just speaking my other opinion on the many one question threads that have been showing up. Much like the one about the landing strip Guesswho made to reflect and mock these sorts of nitpicking of the film.

In general, I don't see how it's hypocritical that Yoda would go on the defensive once his group was attacked and just about eliminated. At that point, Yoda's actions weren't going against the Jedi code and were there to perserve the order.
Old 06-10-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jekbrown
Who is the defender and who is the attacker is not always a matter of who shoots first.
Han was on the defense!