Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does The Fantastic Four look better than Batman Begins?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why does The Fantastic Four look better than Batman Begins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
It looks that way because you have poor taste.

uberjoe, take a moment to consider what pdinosaur said...

Originally Posted by pdinosaur

it's equally tasteless to ridicule someone for not holding your same opinion of these movies.
Old 06-02-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dead
uberjoe, take a moment to consider what pdinosaur said...
Fair enough -- I won't do it again.

Last edited by uberjoe; 06-02-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Another vote for Batman Begins.

Although FWIW, I see both movies underperorming at the box-office this summer. FF will rub the comic fans the wrong way with its tongue in cheek attitude, while Batman Begins will rub the general public the wrong way with its story being mostly origin and little action. Granted, the fanboys will likely talk up Batman Begins, but in the end I doubt their opinions matter to the public.
In all honesty, I have always felt that a Batman movie done the right way, which looks to be the case with this one, would not perform too well at the box-office because the comics were never really too focused on action.
I agree on both, which is why i think I'll like both.
I always thought the FF characters were goofy, and I think the movie will work b/c of it.
I think the general public will hate Batman, it will not be what people are expecting, but I think it will be true to the character. I'm actually happy WB had the guts to make (what seems) a better movie instead of a giant crap fest that johnQ public would pay to see anyway (of course all this is from trialers, i could be a huge crap fest and i'm giving it way too much credit from what i've seen in trailer clips).
Old 06-02-05, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy
I would reserve my judgement until I saw the movie. The script is done by none other than David Goyer...who wrote the Blade movies, if you don't remember.
Read in Sandy Collora's review (dude who directed Batman: Dead End) that Nolan basically rewrote Goyer's draft. Plus he's credited in IMDB for the screenplay, along with Goyer.

So that should make you feel a bit better.
Old 06-02-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
To those that are looking more forward to FF, have you watched that 10 minute preview? I thought BB looked decent before, but the 10 minutes blew me away.
Old 06-02-05, 04:00 PM

Well I have never liked the character Batman for a whole host of reasons. The primary one is the vast majority of the time a human is depicted as superior physically to characters with extra-human powers. So given that I have a pre-disposition against Batman, quite literally *any* movie looks better than BB to me.
Old 06-02-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuff
Well I have never liked the character Batman for a whole host of reasons. The primary one is the vast majority of the time a human is depicted as superior physically to characters with extra-human powers. So given that I have a pre-disposition against Batman, quite literally *any* movie looks better than BB to me.
There's a reason why they call Batman the Dark Detective. His early works weren't against super-humans. Who in his rougue's gallery is a super-powered being? Riddler? Joker? Penguin? Catwoman? Mr. Freeze?
Old 06-02-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I find this interesting:
Katie Holmes, I could have taken or left. She wasn’t horrible, but she definitely didn’t measure up to the great performances around her, and for some odd reason, to me, just didn’t seem to “fit” in the movie.
I'm glad she didn't totally suck but I still don't get why she was cast. What other actresses were offered her role?
Old 06-02-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 10 minute preview from Smallville is what really turned me off to BB, I guess it might be my age (24) that has something to do with it because I love the Batman animated films/series and hate the movies. Maybe I am just not in the mood for Dark films, I watched DaredevilC & Elektra back-to-back and was bored to death with all the dark shadowy stuff in Elektra, it dominated the whole movie where-as Daredevil had some nice bright vibrant enjoyable scenes, FF seemed to have alot of "bright day" scenes in the trailer and BB had only Dark dreary depressing (last thing I wanna see) scenes. And that scene where Bale says "A Man in a Bat Suit is ridiculous" or something like that, He looks nothing like Bruce Wayne should and that stupid smile. I guess I am just one of the few Comic Book fans who feel that BB just isn't going to work. I also loved both Spider-Man films, they are the benchmark for Super-Hero films to me.
Old 06-02-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by JJE-187
I guess it might be my age (24) that has something to do with it because I love the Batman animated films/series and hate the movies.
Wow, if you're a fan of the animated series (Paul Dini is awesome), you don't want a good, solid storyline for Batman? I can understand if you were turned off by Schumacher's Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, but I thought both of Burton's Batman films were close to keeping it truer to his Dark Knight roots.

And if you're a fan of the comic, how can you not want what was meant to be. Just read Killing Joke.

Last edited by devilshalo; 06-02-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
batman is on my definitely see in theaters list. F4 is on my maybe on theaters, probably not until dvd list, and only because Michael Chiklis is in it
Old 06-02-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Although FWIW, I see both movies underperorming at the box-office this summer. FF will rub the comic fans the wrong way with its tongue in cheek attitude, while Batman Begins will rub the general public the wrong way with its story being mostly origin and little action. Granted, the fanboys will likely talk up Batman Begins, but in the end I doubt their opinions matter to the public.
In all honesty, I have always felt that a Batman movie done the right way, which looks to be the case with this one, would not perform too well at the box-office because the comics were never really too focused on action.
Originally Posted by mikewendt
But Batman looks to be taking itself too seriously. I think if they spend too much time on the "origins" and training of Batman, they'll loose the broad audience. Die hard fans will probably apprieciate the story, but let's face it, in this day and age it's about mass appeal and to the general movie going crowd Batman belongs in Gothom...
These posts may be right, they may be wrong, but don't forget that box office performance and "mass appeal" have nothing to do with whether the movies are good or bad.
Old 06-02-05, 07:46 PM

I know I have not just read a supposed comic-fan saying that Spider-Man is the "benchmark of comic films". Then again, I have also read another post that says Batman Begins takes to many liberties with the souyrce material. What comic film doesn't? I mean, Spider-Man changed Mary Jane almost completely.
Old 06-02-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LivingINClip, doen't be surprised if the Tumbler becomes this year's organic webshooters.
Old 06-02-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I will see both films and I am just hoping that each of them captures the tone of the comic books. Batman should be a dark film with alot of more human elements and emotion. FF should be more flashy and special effects laden. That is what I expect.
Old 06-02-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My SO doesn't want to go see another superhero movie where the majority of the film is spent explaining why he became the hero he is. She saw enough of that in the original Spider-man and doesn't want to see it anymore. That's her thoughts on Batman. The trailers make it appear they are going to spend quite a bit of the movie on the how and why he became Batman. It might have worked if this were the first release, but how many Batman films have there been?

I on the other hand am excited to see both films.
Old 06-03-05, 09:46 AM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
The way I view things, I dont compare F4 to Batman at all... its apples & oranges. Now compare F4 to the previous X Men Movies and there is a true debate.

For my money and my hopes..F4 is gonna blow away X Men. I never liked the X men movies. I find them to be overly slick without any "meat" to the plots. I was also never an X Men comic fan, but always had a spot for the 4
Old 06-03-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AeroStone
The way I view things, I dont compare F4 to Batman at all... its apples & oranges.

Not really. Both are superhero movies that come out about the same time.
It is more of a if I were only able to see one of them... type debates.
Old 06-03-05, 10:50 AM

If you are only able to see one, see Batman. It's honestly the best superhero movie I've ever seen.
Old 06-03-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cruzness
I will see both films and I am just hoping that each of them captures the tone of the comic books. Batman should be a dark film with alot of more human elements and emotion. FF should be more flashy and special effects laden. That is what I expect.
Old 06-03-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gotta add that going back and reshooting the third act of FF doesn't sit well with me. Or the fact they felt the need to go back and re-do effects shots after the Incredibles came out.

It still looks entertaining, probably just a rental though.
Old 06-03-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll wait until I see both movies to pass any judgement.
Old 06-03-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
These posts may be right, they may be wrong, but don't forget that box office performance and "mass appeal" have nothing to do with whether the movies are good or bad.

You are correct. However, it seems that the studios who finance the movies have a different line of thought. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Hollywood people are more than willing to flock behind a movie they genuinely think is good and support it with an honest attitude, and then totally abandon it if the box-office isn't set one fire. It's almost like they'll forget they ever said a positive word and act as if they didn't see the movie at all.
Case in point Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow. While not great, it was very entertaining and I remember many people talking it up on the shows, but once it didn't achieve at the B.O., they seemed to take an "it sucked" attitude as opposed to standing by what they said.

In short, "mass appeal" has nothing to do with whether a movie is good or bad, but from a business standpoint of wanting to make more good movies like it , it seems to be the final word.
Old 06-03-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
My SO doesn't want to go see another superhero movie where the majority of the film is spent explaining why he became the hero he is.
That's how I feel about it too, it looks boring. I'm satisfied with the first Batman movie, but I'll check this out at some point just to see Scarecrow.
Old 06-03-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
My SO doesn't want to go see another superhero movie where the majority of the film is spent explaining why he became the hero he is.
I guess she must really hate the new Star Wars trilogy then, since you have to watch three whole movies just to find out how Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.