Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does The Fantastic Four look better than Batman Begins?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
bb has the very real possibilty of demonstrating all that is formulaic about dark action movies. if there's a dance/techno rave scene anywhere in the movie, it deserves to fail.
I've only seen a few short trailers for Begins, but I expect much more out of Christopher Nolan than a formulaic dark action movie. From what I have seen and heard about the film, I highly doubt we will see a techno rave scene.
Old 06-02-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
the Batmobile

why do the aerodynamics of the bat-shurikens disturb me so?

i suppose it might work, but, i dunno. sometimes i don't.
Old 06-02-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brooke789
I've only seen a few short trailers for Begins, but I expect much more out of Christopher Nolan than a formulaic dark action movie. From what I have seen and heard about the film, I highly doubt we will see a techno rave scene.
hehe. good. one of the many reasons i can't stand blade.

hopefully the soundtrack won't be a techno barrage either.
Old 06-02-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You're totally and completely wrong. Sorry.
Old 06-02-05, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to see both, but I want to see FF more
Old 06-02-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
He gets the suit from Morgan Freeman's character, along with the Batmobile and the rest of his gadgets.
Oh, I though I saw the suit during one of the Liam Neeson scenes. I guess it was just the gloves. Regardless, I just don't like the suit, especially the cowl. I am especially tired of the black makeup around the eyes.
Old 06-02-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
Oh, I though I saw the suit during one of the Liam Neeson scenes. I guess it was just the gloves. Regardless, I just don't like the suit, especially the cowl. I am especially tired of the black makeup around the eyes.
Liam Neeson seems to be wearing a version of Batman's gloves in the trailer. Bruce obviously uses a similar design later on for his own costume.
Old 06-02-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Liam Neeson seems to be wearing a version of Batman's gloves in the trailer. Bruce obviously uses a similar design later on for his own costume.
obviously.
Old 06-02-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Worst.Thread.Ever.

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Also what the hell is that fire-breathing horse in all the damn Batman spots all about?
Spoiler:
It's most likely a hallucination by way of the Scarecrow's fear gas
Old 06-02-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yeah, I'd also have to disagree. The Fantastic Four looks like dreck, especially after hearing that they went back to reshoot and redo a bunch of the visual effects once The Incredibles came out; apparently that gave them better ideas than what they originally had planned. I'll take moody and dark over cheeky and sassy any day. Of course, we are all basing this mostly on the internet trailers and clips we've seen, so we could all be wrong; they could both suck superhero balls.
They had to reshoot scenes because they duplicated what was in the Incredibles. For instance the scene where Mr. Incredible rips tree out of ground to rescue a cat, or something like that. F.F. had the exact same thing except with The Thing. They just removed scenes that were to similiar to scenes in The Incredibles and shot new scenes to replace them. The similiar scenes were shot before The Incredibles was released. The Incredibles is just a big rip-off of Fantastic Four anyway.

Last edited by rw2516; 06-02-05 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Batman looks like a better movie, but I enjoy cheese when people don't take themselves seriously, and FF looks to not be taking itself seriously. I will go see them both, but I am looking forward to Batman more than FF...
Old 06-02-05, 11:27 AM

It looks that way because you have poor taste.
Old 06-02-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uberjoe
It looks that way because you have poor taste.

it's equally tasteless to ridicule someone for not holding your same opinion of these movies.
Old 06-02-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
vs
Though Jessica Alba wins by such a huge landslide, Batman Begins definitely looks to be the vastly superior film. And I am speaking as someone who actually believes that Fantastic Four looks like a whole lot of fun. That said, if I had to choose, Batman Begins looks dark, gritty, and epic with just the right amount of comic book flare to make it the superhero film to see at least three times before I'd finally go see Fantastic Four.
Old 06-02-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ytrez
I hate the bat suit. As far a black rubber bat suits go, Michael Keaton's looked best. I would love to see a more comic book faithful black/grey suit, especially for a "Begins" film. Based on what I've seen from the trailers and the Smallville preview, he's been trained by some sort of ninjas and gets the suit from them. But I've never heard anything about ninjas in body armor???

Based on the preview, I thought the movie looked great until Bale put on the suit.
Look at the previews again. He gets his inspiration from The League Of Shadows but the suit and his devices he gets from Wayne Enterprises via Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman). And the suit looks great. I've never gotten the complaints against it.
Old 06-02-05, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur

it's equally tasteless to ridicule someone for not holding your same opinion of these movies.
But he's right you know. FF looks like pure shit, plain and simple. It's made by the guy who did Taxi for crying out loud.
Old 06-02-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
That is correct. Bruce bases the scallops on his gauntlets on those used by The League Of Shadows ninjas like Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson). This is really just there to explain why the heck Batman has those things. Batman basically has them as a handy tool in case of a swordfight.
Old 06-02-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Another vote for Batman Begins.

Although FWIW, I see both movies underperorming at the box-office this summer. FF will rub the comic fans the wrong way with its tongue in cheek attitude, while Batman Begins will rub the general public the wrong way with its story being mostly origin and little action. Granted, the fanboys will likely talk up Batman Begins, but in the end I doubt their opinions matter to the public.
In all honesty, I have always felt that a Batman movie done the right way, which looks to be the case with this one, would not perform too well at the box-office because the comics were never really too focused on action.
Old 06-02-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Although FWIW, I see both movies underperorming at the box-office this summer. FF will rub the comic fans the wrong way with its tongue in cheek attitude, while Batman Begins will rub the general public the wrong way with its story being mostly origin and little action. Granted, the fanboys will likely talk up Batman Begins, but in the end I doubt their opinions matter to the public.
In all honesty, I have always felt that a Batman movie done the right way, which looks to be the case with this one, would not perform too well at the box-office because the comics were never really too focused on action.
that sums it up nicely.
Old 06-02-05, 12:00 PM

It's strange but I've recently felt the same way. Truth be told, I'm not a huge comic fan and really don't know much about the Fantastic 4, but I have been looking forward to Batman.

But based on trailers Batman has a great cast, IMO, but it looks like they really took to many liberties with the story... Okay, that "Tumbler" is what has really turned me off, what the hell is that.

Fantastic 4 just looks like a fun, goofy, summer action movie with a decent cast (2 of the top TV actors working now). It doesn't look like they're taking themselves too seriously in it, which is good in a movie like that.

But Batman looks to be taking itself too seriously. I think if they spend too much time on the "origins" and training of Batman, they'll loose the broad audience. Die hard fans will probably apprieciate the story, but let's face it, in this day and age it's about mass appeal and to the general movie going crowd Batman belongs in Gothom...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Old 06-02-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how to answer that because I'm afraid I don't understand the question.
Old 06-02-05, 12:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't find that to be the case. The FF trailer doesn't much impress me. BB on the other hand, well that's my most anticipated movie of the summer.
Old 06-02-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is up with this "my-comic-book-movie-is-better-than-yours" crap going around here? Jeez, is there a rule stating that we're only supposed to like one?

I plan on seeing and enjoying both movies.
Old 06-02-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I dunno, I may be a freak of nature because I'm actually starting to look forward to BOTH movies. I think other than being superhero movies they'll be completely different in tone and approach. I've been into Batman Begins since the start, but FF is starting to look interesting to me. I didn't think much of the initial trailers, but the new one has a goofy good-time feel to it. And for those complaining about the Thing and Dr. Doom, I don't get it. They pretty much look exactly like they do in the comic. Now if you think THAT look is goofy, I'd tend to agree, but they don't look terrible to me.
Old 06-02-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Being a huge FF fan (read the comics a lot, Hanna Barbara cartoon series), FF the movie looks qutie unspectacular. For one they switched up Dooms origin, which might be okay-we'll see-but his look is all wrong. While Alba is hotter than hell she's wrongfully miscast, and there's a weird vibe fromthe trialer that this will be underwhelming. This is most unfortunately, b/c of the potential it had. Outside of Spidey 2, Marvel hasn't had a big hit. Punisher, Hulk, Blade 3, and Elektra were all suppose to be bug hits and underperformed. I won't mention Man-Thing. X-men 3 is in director turmoil, so only Spidey 3 will save Marvel films.

Batman has so many things going for it. Great director, fanboy writer, great all-star cast, and is telling a new, different angle of a beloved story.

But DC/WB don't get to happy. While Batman Begins and its possible sequels will be huge, Superman Returns will again sink you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.