DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Comic-Con '05: Hollywood's "Reach the Geeks" campaign (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/424923-comic-con-05-hollywoods-reach-geeks-campaign.html)

TomOpus 07-03-05 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Hmmm... after years of living in San Diego I might just make it to one of these, if only to finaly get Bruce Campbell to admit I am his love child.

Yes, you should make it to at least one day.

...and I'm sure Bruce would admit to anything (with purchase :D)

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'll be up for some podcasting.

Yay!

TomOpus 07-07-05 10:01 PM

1 week-to-go bump (unless you're going to Preview Night)

They've added some stuff that I listed as "TBD" on the previous posts:

For the King Kong presentation, they added: "We don't know anything more than you do, but we do trust Peter Jackson enough to know whatever he is preparing to show us is not to be missed. Peter won't be here himself, but please come on in and see what he's sent us from Skull Island."

The New Line Domino presentation apparently has been canceled. In it's place is "Trailer Park 1" that will have the trailer for Domino plus other films.

For The Fountain presentation, Director Darren Aronofsky (pi, Requiem for a Dream) and Rachel Weisz (The Mummy, Constantine) will be appearing.

There's also been additions to the autograph schedule. Things are always changing so it's good to check the schedules often if you're trying to plan your fun.

G. Noel Gross 07-08-05 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
1 week-to-go

Joy! Here's my podcast preview! We've mentioned the <I>DVD Talk Roundtable</I> that TomOpus, Jackskeleton, myself and other like-minded folk hope to share with y'all via DVD Talk Radio. Very, very informal. Just gabbing about what we've seen!

<B>Attending Comic-Con too?</B> Wanna participate? <I>Of course you do!</I> Then drop me an e-mail! We'll meet at <B>6:45 p.m. Friday</B> outside Room 21 on the Upper Level (adjacent to Ballroom 20).

I think there's some tables there. If not the pressroom is nearby.

LorenzoL 07-08-05 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You forgot the friday program for VERONICA MARS!!! yay!

Jack, if you are attending Veronica Mars presentation, I'll appreciate if you can give us a summary of what was said, who attended and any tidbits for the upcoming season (in spoiler tags of course).

Thanks in advance.

devilshalo 07-08-05 05:13 PM

What the heck is podcasting? :o

TomOpus 07-08-05 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
What the heck is podcasting? :o

If you're not kidding, follow the link that Noel provided. It's like listening to talk radio. :)

Okay for those attending, the weather forecast for Wednesday is for "hot and muggy". Since we'll be next to the ocean it'll probably be high 70's/low 80's. It should cool off quickly after sunset. I'm hoping it'll be less muggy for Saturday.

Hey, let's get a few more people to help with the Podcast! Room 21 is next to Ballroom 20 (at the south end of the upper floor) so it's very easy to find. If Noel's jacket is even MORE colorful than last year's, he'll be easy to spot. You'll help out the board and have some fun to boot. :banana:

Smidget 07-09-05 07:14 PM

I hope there's extensive reports about The Fountain :)

Bronkster 07-09-05 09:37 PM

I'll be there, but only during the day on Thursday. I'm counting up all my change now to see if I can afford to buy anything this year. :)

Gizmo 07-10-05 02:24 AM

So far I am only going to be attending Saturday...Hotel rooms are just way to friggin expensive! Kinda sad I won't be able to attend the Veronica Mars panel :-(

G. Noel Gross 07-10-05 08:01 AM

Hey, let's get a few more people to help with the Podcast! Room 21 is next to Ballroom 20 (at the south end of the upper floor) so it's very easy to find. If Noel's jacket is even MORE colorful than last year's, he'll be easy to spot. You'll help out the board and have some fun to boot. :banana:

We'll meet outside Room 21. Hopefully be able to set up nearby. Come one, come all!

G. Noel Gross 07-10-05 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Hotel rooms are just way to friggin expensive!

Here's a thought. Look at the free shuttle routes and see if you can find someplace affordable within walking distance of one of the furthermost stops.

TomOpus 07-10-05 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
Here's a thought. Look at the free shuttle routes and see if you can find someplace affordable within walking distance of one of the furthermost stops.

San Diego Trolley Map Another thought is the San Diego Trolley. It has 2 stops at the Convention Center and goes all the way out to outlying cities. It's a convienent alternative if you want to find more affordable housing.

shaqIQ1 07-10-05 10:54 PM

Going to Comic-con for the first time this year and was wondering if any of the movie stars who aren't on the autograph schedule ever do autographs or whatever after their presentations? If so, how does it work? Do they give out tickets or anything like that?

Jackskeleton 07-10-05 11:36 PM

here's the first thing to learn about Comic con schedules. Don't follow them. Look at booth schedules on the day of and see about event autographs. Most every panel does have some sort of autograph season after. It's mainly line system.

TomOpus 07-10-05 11:54 PM

What Jack said.

Sometimes they'll stick around and sign stuff. It's always good to come prepared just in case. Have something they can sign and something to sign with.

G. Noel Gross 07-11-05 12:49 PM

I've got my feet up on the balcony. Laptop in my lap (oddly enough). San Diego is quite the escape from dern-near-100-degrees Dallas right now!

Josh Hinkle promised to pay the DVD Talk Roundtable a visit. Says he's been on the Comic-Con scene since 1990!

G. Noel Gross 07-11-05 01:42 PM

Just so fellow Portman fans won't be shocked Friday ... here's Natalie's Vendetta-do:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Se...n_vm.widec.jpg

TomOpus 07-11-05 05:36 PM

I've got my feet up on the balcony. Laptop in my lap (oddly enough). San Diego is quite the escape from dern-near-100-degrees Dallas right now!

Josh Hinkle promised to pay the DVD Talk Roundtable a visit. Says he's been on the Comic-Con scene since 1990!

Glad to hear you made it to our fair city. Downtown weather should be mid 70's by Wednesday but low 70's by the weekend. If you want it hot, head out to east county where it'll hit the mid 90's.

Glad to hear Josh will be joining! The more the merrier :banana:

mraor 07-11-05 05:56 PM

It will be a great time had by all. I've been to every one of these since '82 and it's best time of the year! Maybe I'll stop by the podcast and throw in my 2 cents, particularly on the comic panels I'll have attended...

G. Noel Gross 07-11-05 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by mraor
It will be a great time had by all. I've been to every one of these since '82 and it's best time of the year! Maybe I'll stop by the podcast and throw in my 2 cents, particularly on the comic panels I'll have attended...

Please do! That'd be great.

Am I the last to learn THE DEVIL'S REJECTS will premiere Saturday night at the Pacific Gaslamp 15? I'll be on the rope line. Shouting questions at homicidal maniacs. :)

TomOpus 07-11-05 09:05 PM

Please do! That'd be great.

Am I the last to learn THE DEVIL'S REJECTS will premiere Saturday night at the Pacific Gaslamp 15? I'll be on the rope line. Shouting questions at homicidal maniacs. :)

No, I guess that would me :(

Where'd you hear this and what time is the showing?

BJacks 07-11-05 09:12 PM

Devil's Rejects is indeed premiering. I believe it's at 7 but I may be wrong (I don't have the sheet in front of me). We may be doing a film shoot there with Rob and the cast.

G. Noel Gross 07-11-05 09:14 PM

Where'd you hear this and what time is the showing?

The leering press has its ways. (Like Lions Gate PR folks clueing me in.) Show's at 7. The first 100 people to get a Cap'n Spaulding Makeover at the Lions Gate booth and promise to stay that way all day Saturday ... get tickets. (Their sked shows that starting at 9 a.m. -- didn't think CC started til 10?)

Booth signings:

Friday:

11:00 – 12:30 pm: Mike Mignola (Hellboy, Amazing Screw-On Head).

12:30 – 2:00 pm: Kane (WWE wrestler, See No Evil)

2:00- 3:30 pm: Thomas Jane (The Punisher), Steve Niles (30 Days of Night), and Tim Bradstreet (The Punisher, Hellblazer)

Saturday:

11:00 am – 12:30 pm: Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Ken Foree, Matthew McGrory

4:00 – 5:30 pm: Rob Zombie and Sheri Moon Zombie

TomOpus 07-11-05 09:38 PM

Damn... other than getting the makeover, any other way of getting a ticket?

G. Noel Gross 07-12-05 11:35 AM

Damn... other than getting the makeover, any other way of getting a ticket?

Wish I could tell ya. Ask the folks at the Lions Gate booth straight away. Mandy's especially helpful.

As I noted in my preview podcast ... Sideshow Collectibles #2329 will be hosting Lance Henriksen Friday and Saturday.