Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a question about "Se7en," (spoilers).

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched "Seven" again night before last, and I was left with a few questions about the motivation of some characters, one in particular.

I mentioned it in the title, but just in case, I'll go ahead with this...

Spoiler:
Kevin Spacey's character despised what mankind had become. This was made clear in the entire final car-ride. He prided himself on the fact that everybody he killed got what they deserved. By his own words, we're told that he loathed killers and rapists. The fact that he was a killer was negated by the fact that each of his victims were wretched human beings. "Only in a world this shitty could you even try to say these were innocent people and keep a straight face."

Does it not fly in the face of his entire persona, then, for him to have killed Detective Mills' wife? She was, for all intents and purposes, an innocent victim. John Doe became everything he despised with that one act. The only way his "masterwork" could be completed would be for him to kill an innocent person (somebody close to Mills). It just seems highly unlikely that somebody as adamant as he was about making a statement about the fucked up world we live in would then turn and kill an innocent person. It negates everything he worked for, and everything he stood for...and insane as he may have been, I just don't see him viewing the murder of an innocent person as an option.

Beyond that, his "masterwork" was never completed. Sure, there were seven victims, but one of them was innocent. He tried to paint a complete picture, in which one person was killed to represent each of the seven deadly sins. Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Pride, Lust, and finally...John Doe becomes a victim for his envy. For this to happen, Mills' character had to "become wrath," in Spacey's own words. As such, he was never brought to death. Spacey's character's masterwork was left incomplete: 6 for 7.

Any thoughts? It was only the second time I'd seen the film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (even more than the first time I watched it). Fincher's a solid director, the story is a good one, and the acting is great all around.

-JP
Old 05-31-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
He may not have killed Mills, but he certainly destroyed him.

I'll have to think about the first part...
Old 05-31-05, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
He may not have killed Mills, but he certainly destroyed him.
Yeah, I considered that. I guess I was just viewing his "work" on a more literal level than was intended.

-JP
Old 05-31-05, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doe and Somerset are perfect foils. You'll remember from the bar scene that Somerset is also disgusted with mankind for its apathy. Mills calls him out on this, and Somerset admits he is guilty of being the very thing he despises. The same is true for Doe. He is no different from anyone else, as Mills points out, for he is human, and is guilty of all of humanity's offenses. That is why Doe kills himself, albeit indirectly.

This is all according to the film, though. I find the ideas in this movie sick to be quite honest.
Old 05-31-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's in the boooox?
Old 05-31-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think part of John Doe's point is that he is no better than those that he killed; that he himself is a sinner. And in the end, he recieves the same fate as his victims. So he's not really a hypocrite: he himself is the ultimate justification for his beliefs. I always thought David will be executed for his actions.
Old 05-31-05, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SFranke
Doe and Somerset are perfect foils. You'll remember from the bar scene that Somerset is also disgusted with mankind for its apathy. Mills calls him out on this, and Somerset admits he is guilty of being the very thing he despises. The same is true for Doe. He is no different from anyone else, as Mills points out, for he is human, and is guilty of all of humanity's offenses. That is why Doe kills himself, albeit indirectly.

This is all according to the film, though. I find the ideas in this movie sick to be quite honest.
Originally Posted by Superboy
I think part of John Doe's point is that he is no better than those that he killed; that he himself is a sinner. And in the end, he recieves the same fate as his victims. So he's not really a hypocrite: he himself is the ultimate justification for his beliefs. I always thought David will be executed for his actions.
It's hard for me to articulate what I'm thinking, but in short, I see the murder of an innocent person to be less consistant with his persona than his envy. He became what he despised in the sense that he fell prey to envy, but I don't think he'd ever kill an innocent person (by his twisted definition of the word "innocent"). While both fly in the face of his ideals, the former falls in line with his plan. The latter doesn't.

I think the main difference is, he knew from the outset that he was envious. He factored that into his plan. He knew that, if all went as planned, he would be punished for this very sin. That was part of the master plan. His envy played a vital role in the fruition of his plan, his killing an innocent person didn't. The act of killing an innocent person negates the idea that everything he did had some sort of higher, "martyristic" purpose.

-JP
Old 05-31-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the exception of the last sentence, that's how I see it. Nobody's innocent.
Old 05-31-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd also agree with the exception of the last sentence. There's no way David would be executed in any court of law.
Old 05-31-05, 10:43 PM

See, I'll agree with the first part as well. He did think of himself as a sinner, and he did receive the same fate. However, his sin was envy...and that fell in with his plan. For his "masterwork" to be of the significance he viewed it with, all of his acts would have to be righteous...all the way down to becoming a martyr due to his envy. I just don't see how killing an innocent victim fits in with his plan.

-JP
Old 05-31-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's important to remember that 7 people end up dead (I think they all die) because of his action. Whereas the first 5 WERE examples of the sin, John Doe was Envy, and used this as his reasoning for killing Mills' wife, just as Mills ended up being wrath and killing Doe. Neither of these two died as a result of the sin, (well I suppose you could argue Doe wouldn't have died unless he was envious...) as opposed to the first 5, which were clearly examples of their sin.
Old 06-01-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
I'd also agree with the exception of the last sentence. There's no way David would be executed in any court of law.
But it's entirely possible that he would kill himself.
Old 06-01-05, 01:18 AM

He wouldn't be killed by the state, because he didn't commit capital murder. As for him killing himself...I'd have liked the film much, MUCH more if he'd gone ahead and saved a bullet for himself in the field, completing the 7 deaths for the 7 deadly sins (and leaving that pesky 8th victim and unborn child that keeps irking me).

Instead, we get some bullshit scene where the cop promises to take good care of Mills, and Somerset gives a hokey line to the effect of, "I'll be around...I'll be around."

-JP
Old 06-01-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It is indeed true. I have a quoute from Six below.
"I can't believe it, Seven just ate Nine. AAAAAAH." "His a monster a freaking monster."
Old 06-02-05, 08:43 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
and insane as he may have been, I just don't see him viewing the murder of an innocent person as an option
Don't gewt me wrong--you've used some very compelling logic to support your case, and I respect that, but I think it all fails on this one line of yours. It equates with, "I realize he's completely irrational, but I would expect him to be more rational about this". There are untold examples throughout modern history of serial killers and other societal failures wherein their actions didn't always align seamlessly with the "logic" of their reasoning.
Old 06-02-05, 08:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
She wasn't all that innocent. She showed her boobies in that Shakespeare movie!
Old 06-03-05, 11:50 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

And in that hideous Oscar gown!
Old 06-07-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I always thought David will be executed for his actions.
I just rewatched the film and I have to partially agree with you. Somerset specially tells Mills that killing a suspect would send him to death row and I'm guessing Doe knew this. Whether or not a jury would actually convict him is another matter.
Old 06-07-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all, I'll argue all day about Somerset telling Mills that he's going to deathrow. That is not what he said there, its been discussed in the last 100 Se7en threads.

Second of all...

He is envy, Mills is Wrath.

The point of his little project was to punish for the Seven Deadly Sins. If you don't think Mills is destroyed by this, therefore punished, I think your'e a bit crazy. Also, I'd be surprised if he doesn't wind up killing himself for losing his career and his wife on one horrible day..
Old 06-07-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aren't we forgetting something?

Spoiler:
Detective Mills' wife was pregnant and contemplated abortion but selfishly kept this from Mills so she could make a decision that suited herself. So not quite so innocent.

Last edited by Squirrel God; 06-07-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderball
First of all, I'll argue all day about Somerset telling Mills that he's going to deathrow. That is not what he said there, its been discussed in the last 100 Se7en threads.
I hate to beat a dead horse but I'd be interested in knowing what other people hear Somerset saying. IMHO I heard "it's death row all the way" though admittedly the subtitles don't show anything so I could be wrong. With that, I interpreted the Captain's comment about "taking care" of Mills to mean they would do everything to keep Mills from getting a needle in the arm.
Old 06-07-05, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I just rewatched the film and I have to partially agree with you. Somerset specially tells Mills that killing a suspect would send him to death row and I'm guessing Doe knew this. Whether or not a jury would actually convict him is another matter.
No, it's not another matter...because they wouldn't have the opportunity to sentence him to death. Mills didn't commit capital murder.

Capital offenses:
-Killing a peace officer
-Murder in the course of committing another first degree felony
-Murder for hire
-Killing a child under the age of six
-Murdering more than one person in one spree
-Killing a corrections officer while incarcerated.

The end.

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Second of all...

He is envy, Mills is Wrath.

The point of his little project was to punish for the Seven Deadly Sins. If you don't think Mills is destroyed by this, therefore punished, I think your'e a bit crazy. Also, I'd be surprised if he doesn't wind up killing himself for losing his career and his wife on one horrible day..
I figured the point was to punish with death, not just to punish. He did give the "pride victim" the opportunity to save herself...but if she did so then she wouldn't be as guilty of the sin. So, in effect, the only way for her to be guilty of the sin is if she died. None of the other victims were spared their lives...so I figured the objective was punishment through death, not just punishment. That's just my interpretation, though...and you very well could be right. But if it is punishment through death, then in Mills' case, the job was left unfinished.

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Aren't we forgetting something?

Spoiler:
Detective Mills' wife was pregnant and contemplated abortion but selfishly kept this from Mills so she could make a decision that suited herself. So not quite so innocent.
...but still not guilty of one of the seven deadly sins. She was an 8th victim, and I don't think killing an 8th person is consistent with Doe's persona or (admittedly twisted) moral structure. Not to mention her unborn child, which is practically innocence personified.

-JP
Old 06-08-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
...but still not guilty of one of the seven deadly sins. She was an 8th victim, and I don't think killing an 8th person is consistent with Doe's persona or (admittedly twisted) moral structure. Not to mention her unborn child, which is practically innocence personified.

-JP
I agree about the child, but it can be argued that her selfish behaviour can be categorised under three of the 7 Deadly Sins:

1. Pride - via comparing herself 'competitively' to others rather than accepting her life and state

2. Greed (aka Avarice) - due to wanting to get her "fair share" of her life, particularly at the expense of another.

3. Envy - due to her focusing on her own good rather than the good of others (specifically the good of her husband)
Old 06-08-05, 05:38 PM

Well there's no denying that everybody, on some level, is guilty of one of the seven deadly sins. I think you're missing my point, though: she doesn't fit into his plan. His plan was to kill/punish seven people for their seven deadly sins. He picked extreme examples of each, and punished them for it. He then killed her, aside from the seven...simply to get to Mills. I don't see how anybody can say that killing her (especially when she wasn't blatantly guilty of anything) is consistant with Doe's plan or persona. You can twist her actions around to fit any deadly sin ("omg she didn't work, guilty of sloth") but that would be wholly inconsequential. In the big scheme of things, and in contrast to those Doe was out to punish, she was innocent...and so was her unborn child. Yet he killed both without hesitation, and I don't think that's consistant with his moral structure.

-JP
Old 06-08-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No I understand your point, but their advancement in the case caused him to switch to a Plan B of sorts - if it were absolute perfection, I think he would've gone about things a different way and we would've seen Plan A.

There was also that conversation that Somerset had with Mills:

SOMERSET: For now, let's just consider the books as the murderer's inspiration. The books and sermons are about atonement for sin. And, these murders have been like forced attrition.

MILLS: Forced what?

SOMERSET: Attrition. When you regret your sins, but not because you love God.

MILLS: Like, because someone's holding a gun on you.
That has always suggested to me that the final scene, where in fact Mills does hold a gun to Doe, could have been engineered by Doe to achieve attrition. In 'Plan A', attrition may not have been a consideration. Maybe Doe therefore has some regret which also impinges on his original plans ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.