Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any theories on why...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Any theories on why...

Old 05-28-05, 10:36 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any theories on why...

...all three original episodes showed ships go into hyperdrive from a perspective inside the vessels (i.e. the star streak effect), but in the prequel trilogy, we're only allowed to see ships jump into hyperspace from outside, thereby preventing us from enjoying that wicked visual effect all over again? It's obviously not even remotely an important question, but it still intrigues me. During each viewing of the films in the prequel trilogy, there I'd sit, going "oh, here we go! Star streaking time!", only to be left outside the ship as it goes blasting off the screen. I really missed the visual effect, and found its absense in the prequel trilogy to be an interesting choice for self-restraint on behalf of Lucas...
Old 05-28-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... [you] didn't just write out the entire thread topic?

Yeah to suck us into the thread and find another lame question that really has no bearing on the mive whatsoever.

Seriously though, I've got no explanation for it other than he wanted to show us the rings they use to jump to hyperspeed... since they were really the only vessels to do it.
Old 05-28-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
... you used vauge thread titles?

I think it's because you hate us. God damn I hate vauge thread titles. Just write out the question in the thread so people know what the discussion will be. Using vauge titles is a trick only used by those who feel their question wouldn't get any views if they just asked it straight out.

Here's the quick answer though. It's because the scene in ANH was going to be old news if they showed the jump into light speed. This way, if you watch it from 1-6, you'll still get an OOOOOOOOOOOHHH and AAAAAAAAAAAAH reaction when you see the jump in a first person perspective. It keeps that magic alive.
Old 05-28-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
because lucas wanted to have the star trek "stretch the ship and have a white flash" effect
Old 05-28-05, 01:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
FYI, I scrolled past whatever this thread is about to protest your use of a ridiculous ambiguous thread title.
Old 05-28-05, 03:38 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Here's the quick answer though. It's because the scene in ANH was going to be old news if they showed the jump into light speed. This way, if you watch it from 1-6, you'll still get an OOOOOOOOOOOHHH and AAAAAAAAAAAAH reaction when you see the jump in a first person perspective. It keeps that magic alive.
I don't buy that or we wouldn't have had Jabba dropped into A NEW HOPE...

Oh, and as far as vague thread title, c'mon, it's the weekend; I know none of you posers are busy...
Old 05-28-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I belive this was brought up around TPM, and Lucas pretty much said, when you watch them in order, he wanted it to be a surprise in Ep IV.
Old 05-29-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exactly. It WAS an exercise in self-restraint. Jabba was used in the SE because the shot was intended to be there in the first place but cut out because it couldn't be done right. Whether it should have been there is another question.
Old 05-29-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
... you used vauge thread titles?

I think it's because you hate us. God damn I hate vauge thread titles. Just write out the question in the thread so people know what the discussion will be. Using vauge titles is a trick only used by those who feel their question wouldn't get any views if they just asked it straight out.

You spelled vague wrong three times.
Old 05-29-05, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
and you are surprised by that? I mean, come on. This is me you are talking about. I'm pretty sure there's atleast three words in this sentence alone that are spelled wrong.

That's like me pointing out that you dislike Lucas. It's a given.
Old 05-29-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I belive this was brought up around TPM, and Lucas pretty much said, when you watch them in order, he wanted it to be a surprise in Ep IV.
I guess he also wanted an explanation for what the hell "The Force" is to the a surprise as well.

Last edited by Superboy; 05-29-05 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-30-05, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Exactly. It WAS an exercise in self-restraint.
Huh, fair enough...strange that for such a man as Lucas (and I say this as a fan), this was the point for which he elected to practice some self-restraint...
Old 05-31-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
I guess he also wanted an explanation for what the hell "The Force" is to the a surprise as well.
And the term "lightsaber" -- which is referred to only as a "laser sword" in Episode I.
Old 06-02-05, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Oh, and as far as vague thread title, c'mon, it's the weekend; I know none of you posers are busy...
How are they posers? Or did you mean posters?
Old 06-02-05, 09:51 AM
Banned

I meant posers...as in they're posing like they're irritated that my vague thread title was wasting their collective time, when we all know they were just hanging around at home on a three-day weekend in their underwear...
Old 06-02-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It just makes things neater. imagine if all the threads here had a vauge title. it would take a while to sort through to see what you want to read or not.