Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Should one ebay the SW 2004 SE DVDs?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about it and thought to myself that they will be worthless in a couple of years time. Perhaps now is the best time to sell them cause people are thinking of SW on ebay and they're the only official OT DVDs available.

On another note, I have an extra copy of ANH available for $9 shipped within the US if anyone wants it.
Old 05-26-05, 01:49 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think a lot of us have a spare copy of ANH
Old 05-26-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have so many questions I can't even think where to start.

Why will they be worthless in a couple of years? And -- probably most important -- why do you want to sell them anyway?
Old 05-26-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Why will they be worthless in a couple of years? And -- probably most important -- why do you want to sell them anyway?
Cause of the new bad ass 6 disc set.
Old 05-26-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait until it's at least announced. That's usually when I begin to sell my out-dated versions.
Old 05-26-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, there are a few issues here:

1. The set isn't even announced yet. I wouldn't expect it until at least 2007.
2. You don't know what will be included... will the films themselves be altered (yet again?). Will the extras be included? Will there be new extras? The new 'mega set' may turn out to be not as good as what you currently have.
3. You also don't know if the current set will go OOP (say in early 2006) in anticipation of the new set. If that happens, you can bet that it'll be selling for a ton more on eBay than it is today.

Just hang onto it. I assume you like the movies, so just keep it and enjoy. It's not like it is particularly valuable today, so why worry about it losing value?
Old 05-26-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it will matter if it goes OOP. They made more of this trilogy than just about any other movie set (I'd imagine). Eps 1 and 2 went OOP and they were still everywhere.
Old 05-26-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
if the new box set will have even more changes tha tmight make the current dvds worth more.
granted it might become a niche market, but there will likely be people wanting it and willing to spend large amounts of money
Old 05-26-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
3. You also don't know if the current set will go OOP (say in early 2006) in anticipation of the new set. If that happens, you can bet that it'll be selling for a ton more on eBay than it is today.
That's a good point.

Just hang onto it. I assume you like the movies, so just keep it and enjoy. It's not like it is particularly valuable today, so why worry about it losing value?
Cause I can probably get some cash today but if there's a new box set it won't go for $5.

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I don't think it will matter if it goes OOP. They made more of this trilogy than just about any other movie set (I'd imagine). Eps 1 and 2 went OOP and they were still everywhere.
During that time, Ep 1-2 did got for major $$$ for a little while.

Originally Posted by mikehunt
if the new box set will have even more changes tha tmight make the current dvds worth more.
granted it might become a niche market, but there will likely be people wanting it and willing to spend large amounts of money
I doubt that. If there's the 2007 SE the 2004 SE won't go for very much. For instance, bootleg 97 SE DVDs don't go for much since they released 2004 SE.
Old 05-26-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I would keep them, I stil have 2 versions (the 1997 Special Edition Release) and the "Ultimate Edition" (forgot exactly what it was called) which has commentaries on Laser Disc and I still pop one of those in occasionally even with the DVD release. I wouls suspect that the next DVD release will have different commentaries and extras that reflect what happened in ROTS (and possibly Clone Wars and the Forthcoming TV series).

For most movies, I would get ticked with the possibility of owning 4 versions of the same movie for the OT and 2 from the PT, but with Star Wars, I enjoy being able to compare versions, what was said in commentaries, and extra and do not mind buying them again. At least the DVDs are significantly cheaper than the LaserDiscs were.
Old 05-26-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I say keep them. I've heard the set will be a 6-7 disc set. Episodes 1-3 are two discs. I don't see them carrying over the special features or adding any extra ones (only for the OT, because who doesn't wanna see more).
Old 05-26-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I say keep them. I've heard the set will be a 6-7 disc set. Episodes 1-3 are two discs. I don't see them carrying over the special features or adding any extra ones (only for the OT, because who doesn't wanna see more).
Would be difficult to believe that they won't carry over the Special Features in the 2007 Ultimate Star Wars movie box set.
Old 05-26-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
expect something this christmas time. simple as that. Should you sell? I don't think you'll get much. I would wait till it's OOP and the other one isn't announced. Once it is announced, you will see a flood of them go on ebay. So you have to strike right on a fine line.
Old 05-26-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I say keep them. You're only going to get $30, maybe $25 after eBay fees. Is $30 really worth not having them for the next five months? Might as well wait, and sell them for $20 if you upgrade later.
Old 05-26-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Troystiffler makes an excellent point. At the price point that DVDs are selling new and used on amazon, How much can you really expect to get from this?
Old 05-26-05, 05:12 PM
Retired

There not worth shit now, and they won't be worth shit in the future.

Just hold on to them, and if a later release is better give it to a friend of family member (or sell it for whatever chump change it's worth).

I generally give away any movie when I upgrade, not worth the hassle to make a few bucks when I could just make a friend or family member happy.