Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mace Windu - anyone disapointed by him?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mace Windu - anyone disapointed by him?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It says in the visual dictionary that Mace Windu treads the line between Light and Dark, and that's why his lightsabre is neither blue nor red.

Anyway, I don't know what movie you're watching, but whenever we saw Sideous in Eps. I and II he was old and craggy like the good ol' Emperor from Ep. VI, and then in the next scene where he was Palpatine he was back to looking younger again. I guess he learned how to make himself younger from Darth Plagious.
Old 05-25-05, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jough
It says in the visual dictionary that Mace Windu treads the line between Light and Dark, and that's why his lightsabre is neither blue nor red.

Anyway, I don't know what movie you're watching, but whenever we saw Sideous in Eps. I and II he was old and craggy like the good ol' Emperor from Ep. VI, and then in the next scene where he was Palpatine he was back to looking younger again. I guess he learned how to make himself younger from Darth Plagious.
You might want to watch those again. He's definately not old and craggy in I & II. Maybe someone's playing a Jedi mind trick on you.
Old 05-25-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Sam Jackson was excellent as Master Windu. I also in no way beleive that he was going to be able to take Palaptine/Sideous out. Sideous was biding his time with Windu just long enough to get Anakin to see the "treasonous Jedi" fulfill their role in overtaking the Republic by "murdering" the Supreme Chancellor".

He absolutely layed everything out for Anankin to come in and "saave the day". All the while playing the weak and benevolent Chancellor. Mace was apparently second in "force" strength only to Yoda and Yoda while puttinng up a great fight, got his butt handed to him in a one on one with Sideous. If Yoda could'nt take him, there's no way, Windu would have taken him. I felt that Sideous definately toyed with Windu and could have eliminated him very early on had it better suited his plan.

And I also agree with the posts saying that the "disfigured" Palpatine is the real lok for the Emperor. He's the embodiment of pure evil and to me, that's gotta take a toll on your appearance. He kept his normal looks I think to throw everyone off. It's possible he may not be able to flip flop back and forth between his appearances so maybe that's why he never appeared as his true self when communicating with the seperatists.

Last edited by buckee1; 05-25-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-25-05, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by thephantom
I don't know, I'd have to say he just plain lost. Lightsaber was gone, lightening wasn't working for him. You noticed that later on Yoda wasn't able to absorb his electricity like he did Dooku's. That's why, with lightsaber gone, Yoda bugged out. He knew he couldn't beat him without the saber. Mace had him dead to rights, and while Palpy had it all planned out and it happend to go according to plan, I think had Anakin been 5 seconds late Mace would have put him down.

I'm in the other camp. My impression from watching this scene was that Palpatine was *intentionally* letting it appear that Mace was winning. This was all part of his plan to get Anakin to complete his journey to the dark side. If he had truly wanted to, I believe that Palpatine could have disposed of Windu much earlier during their confrontation. Instead, he let Windu survive long enough -- and appear to have the upper hand -- so that Anakin would turn against the jedi.
Old 05-25-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyway, I don't know what movie you're watching, but whenever we saw Sideous in Eps. I and II he was old and craggy like the good ol' Emperor from Ep. VI, and then in the next scene where he was Palpatine he was back to looking younger again.
Erm... no.

Watch Episode I + II again. He's hooded, his face is mostly covered, but his skin isn't all old and floppy ala Episode III/VI.

Old 05-25-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thephantom
It's funny that you point that out. People who aren't interested in EU should probably stop reading here. :P

I was poking around on Wikipedia and it's got a wealth of compiled Star Wars info from just about every source out there. The entry on Mace is particularly interesting because it's lines up so well with what you saw in the movie. His Vaapad style of lightsaber combat walks a thin line.

Here's his entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_Windu
I've never read any of the EU stuff, but after some of those links I might pickup a few books. One link that I found really interesting was the Great Jedi Purge. And that it says a significant amount actually survived post-Episode III.
Old 05-25-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I've never read any of the EU stuff, but after some of those links I might pickup a few books. One link that I found really interesting was the Great Jedi Purge. And that it says a significant amount actually survived post-Episode III.
I've only read post ROTJ novels but I would start with Zahn's trilogy.

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

To an extent these three novels are(loosely) why we have the prequel trilogy.
Old 05-25-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've only read post ROTJ novels but I would start with Zahn's trilogy.

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
To an extent these three novels are(loosely) why we have the prequel trilogy.
Thanks for the tip

Zahn is the name I've consistently heard when EU is mentioned.
Old 05-25-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
but a jedi is never really unarmed since they, especially the sith, can use the force itself as a weapon
If that were the case, Dooku should have force pushed Anakin despite the loss of his hands. I think using the Force in a big way (like Yoda levitating the X-Wing or Sidious throwing the senate "seats" around) take a big toll on the wielder. I think Sidious was pretty winded from his fight with Mace and only did his "Anakin, save me" routine to catch his breath, if you will, and get a second wind.

As for Yoda vs. Sidious, Yoda did not get his ass handed to him. It looked like a stalemate to me. Just look at how Yoda tossed Sidious around early in the fight and Sidious tried to run away right from the start. He knew he and Yoda were pretty much equals when it came to Force wielding. Whereas Mace was simply the best fighter.

The way I view the Sidious duels is that Mace technically won the first (If you ignore Anakin's intervention) and Yoda's duel with Sidious was a draw.
Old 05-31-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Hmm...haven't watched TPM in a while but I just saw AOTC last week and I don't remember him being old and craggy. Just hooded.
Old 05-31-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I remeber him as being hooded "only " as well.
Old 06-02-05, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Thanks for the tip

Zahn is the name I've consistently heard when EU is mentioned.

The Zahn books are the highest form of non-canon canon, if that makes any sense. In Holocron terms, the three Zahn books are just C-Canon, but generally among fans the only canon that beats a Zahn book is G-Canon. Think of it as "first among equals"

The levels of canon are explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon
Old 06-02-05, 11:23 PM

Another thing to consider: just because someone is a stronger in the Force doesn't always mean they'll win a fight. How many times do you see a smaller guy beat a bigger guy in a fight? Not always, but it's not uncommon.

Anakin is stronger in raw Force than Dooku, but he was soundly beat in Ep.2. After he gained more experience, knowledge, etc., then he won the fight the next time they met.