Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A New Hope indeed...

Old 05-16-05, 02:17 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 619
A New Hope indeed...

I've heard Steven Speilberg I think it was watched Revenge of the Sith twice and he said you will leave the theater crying (no, not to get your money back!), but because it is sad. I was just thinking, it would kinda give more meaning to the title of the next film, "A New Hope". Just when about everyone died and you think all hope is lost, along comes Luke, who is A New Hope. I know I'm probably just stating the obvious, but I never really thought about it like this before.
marioxb is offline  
Old 05-17-05, 12:58 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,245
WTF? You're supposed to be a senior member, pal!!
Lara Means is offline  
Old 05-17-05, 08:19 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Mopower is offline  
Old 05-17-05, 08:51 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Originally Posted by marioxb
I know I'm probably just stating the obvious...
I agree completely.
chess is offline  
Old 05-17-05, 10:05 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by marioxb
I know I'm probably just stating the obvious, but I never really thought about it like this before.
Just out of curiosity, what did you think the title meant before?
bboisvert is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 07:20 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
NO WAY!!!!!!
The Monkees is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 08:08 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 619
Honestly, I never really knew rhe meaning of any of the titles.

The Phantom Menace.. I guess it's Palpatine because no one knows he is bad?
Attack of the Clones.. well duh, the clone dudes, like attack
Revenge of the Sith.. because the Sith kill all of the Jedi?
A New Hope.. well I didn't know the Jedi were killed before there were prequels, just thought that they "gave up" or something
The Empire Strikes Back.. Death Star blew up, let's try again?
Return of the Jedi.. Luke came back to Dagobah like he said we would?
marioxb is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 08:28 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by marioxb
Honestly, I never really knew rhe meaning of any of the titles.

The Phantom Menace.. I guess it's Palpatine because no one knows he is bad?

exactly and Darth Maul, the Jedi think all the sith are gone. I have always thought this title was awesome, maybe the best one.


Attack of the Clones.. well duh, the clone dudes, like attack

nothing to discuss here, excellent flick, the worst title.

Revenge of the Sith.. because the Sith kill all of the Jedi?


Yes , a revenge a thousand years in the making. Awesome title, and a nod to the original return of the jedi title.



A New Hope.. well I didn't know the Jedi were killed before there were prequels, just thought that they "gave up" or something

I always knew what a new hope was, but its more powerful now that you know how bad thing got. What do you mean gave up? Ben tells Luke that Vader helped "hunt down and destroy the Jedi"



The Empire Strikes Back.. Death Star blew up, let's try again?

Yes the Empire is done yet, awesome title.



Return of the Jedi.. Luke came back to Dagobah like he said we would?
I think its bigger than that, not Luke returning, but the Return of the Jedi Order, Luke becomes a Jedi, and will eventually recreate the order.
shaggy is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 08:28 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by marioxb
Honestly, I never really knew rhe meaning of any of the titles.

The Phantom Menace.. I guess it's Palpatine because no one knows he is bad?

exactly and Darth Maul, the Jedi think all the sith are gone. I have always thought this title was awesome, maybe the best one.


Attack of the Clones.. well duh, the clone dudes, like attack

nothing to discuss here, excellent flick, the worst title.

Revenge of the Sith.. because the Sith kill all of the Jedi?


Yes , a revenge a thousand years in the making. Awesome title, and a nod to the original return of the jedi title.



A New Hope.. well I didn't know the Jedi were killed before there were prequels, just thought that they "gave up" or something

I always knew what a new hope was, but its more powerful now that you know how bad thing got. What do you mean gave up? Ben tells Luke that Vader helped "hunt down and destroy the Jedi"



The Empire Strikes Back.. Death Star blew up, let's try again?

Yes the Empire isn't done yet, awesome title.



Return of the Jedi.. Luke came back to Dagobah like he said we would?
I think its bigger than that, not Luke returning, but the Return of the Jedi Order, Luke becomes a Jedi, and will eventually recreate the order.
shaggy is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 09:53 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,245
Originally Posted by shaggy
I think its bigger than that, not Luke returning, but the Return of the Jedi Order, Luke becomes a Jedi, and will eventually recreate the order.
The Jedi title is actually about Anakin. His return to becoming a good Jedi again.
Lara Means is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 09:59 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by Lara Means
The Jedi title is actually about Anakin. His return to becoming a good Jedi again.
It works on 3 levels:

1. Literal/marketing: "Hey, Luke's back!"
2. Saga: "Anakin is redeemed"
3. Future: "The Jedi Order can now be restored"

It's a perfect title, actually.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 10:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
The Phantom Menace is actually Anakin. Because well he's a menace and nobody knows it yet. That's how I always thought of it. Especially with that first teaser poster of little Ani with the shadow of Darth.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 02:55 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Phantom Menace is actually Anakin. Because well he's a menace and nobody knows it yet. That's how I always thought of it. Especially with that first teaser poster of little Ani with the shadow of Darth.
That's what is so cool about these flicks, I never thought of it that way before, but it also makes sense. I also agree with the 3 meanings of return of the jedi.
shaggy is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 03:02 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 6,740
And I love how everyone biiiiiiiitched for months everytime a new prequel name was released..

I think they work really well.
ravan is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 04:38 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,186
phan·tom also fan·tom n.

1. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition. Something elusive or delusive.

2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.

3. Something dreaded or despised.

Here we go again: The 'phantom' menace is the seperatists & their droid army. The real menace is Sidious & his clones.
Calculon is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 04:50 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 50
can't wait to watch "the revenge of the sith"
sexylady is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 06:26 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,861
"Luke be a Jedi tonight" would have been a better name for Return of the Jedi. Too bad the Simpsons werent around then.
Deadman31 is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 07:10 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,750
Originally Posted by Calculon
phan·tom also fan·tom n.

1. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition. Something elusive or delusive.

2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.

3. Something dreaded or despised.

Here we go again: The 'phantom' menace is the seperatists & their droid army. The real menace is Sidious & his clones.
According to Lucas, recently anyway, the Phantom Menace is Darth Sidious. You can extend it to Anakin's future, the clone army or whatever fits, but as OBi-Wan said, "I sense something elsewhere master, elusive".

Here's an nice write up about the title written before Lucas likened the title to Sidious in interviews.

"There is a great deal of speculation as to what the title, "The Phantom Menace", refers to; the titles of the other films seem to generally be self-explanatory. It is usually suggested that the title refers to Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, or the Sith in general.

The title could also refer to the origin of Darth Sidious' name, which is the adjective 'insidious'. The Oxford English Dictionary gives following definition:

Full of wiles or plots; lying in wait or seeking to entrap or ensnare; proceeding or operating secretly or subtly so as not to excite suspicion; sly, treacherous, deceitful, underhand, artful, cunning, crafty, wily. (Of persons and things.)

So the 'phantom' in the title of Episode I could be referring to the Dark Lord of the Sith and ‘menace’ to the meaning of the name 'Sidious.' Another possible meaning of the title is a subtle indication at the ultimate outcome of the Saga--Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

A further theory is based upon the understanding that the central menace of the movie, the Neimoidian dominated Trade Federation's blockade and invasion of Naboo, is itself nothing more than a phantom, a piece of political misdirection wrought by Darth Sidious as part of the machinations designed to bring about the ultimate victory of the Sith. In this sense, the key outcome of this movie is the elevation of Palpatine to the office of Chancellor - an outcome that would have resulted had the Trade Federation's gambit succeeded or failed. The keystone of the plot is the plight of the Naboo arousing a sympathy vote in the Senate. Whilst the heroes are focused on combating the threat to Naboo, they are unwitting pawns in a connivance of far greater scope.

Given Lucas' penchant for layered meanings in these movies, it is arguable that all these interpretations contain a grain of truth."

Last edited by DthRdrX; 05-19-05 at 07:16 AM.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 07:23 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,107
Can anyone explain why the Sith lords are bear the "Darth" moniker?
buckee1 is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:42 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,107
anyone? Bueller...bueller
buckee1 is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 11:02 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Originally Posted by buckee1
Can anyone explain why the Sith lords are bear the "Darth" moniker?
I don't know the cannon reason, but I do know Lucas's reason. "Darth" means "dark", and "Vader" means "Father." I would presume the cannon reason wouldn't be too far removed from that, being these are dark lords and all.
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 11:51 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by Calculon
Here we go again: The 'phantom' menace is the seperatists & their droid army. The real menace is Sidious & his clones.
don't want to argue but that depends a great deal on your point of view. i take it to mean the Sith. as far as the Jedi are concerned "Phantom" defines the sith. afterall the seperatists and their droid are a physical reality that the Jedi are aware of. they are not however aware of the sith at the start of the movie
Daytrip is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 05:35 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,107
Makes sense. Thanks, calhoun07.
buckee1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.