Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Was "Unleashed" (a.k.a. "Danny The Dog") cut in its US release version?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 636 Likes on 490 Posts

I just came back from seeing Unleashed and I wonder if it was cut down in its US version.

Spoiler:
Before Bart has his final confrontation with Danny, he tells his goons to wait outside one of the apartments. After Sam smashes the ceramic pot on Bart's head, the film cuts to Victoria's recital. What happened to the remaining goons? I doubt they just stayed in front of that apartment door 'til all eternity. Was a final action sequence cut out to get to the ending sooner and make the film tighter?

Anyone know?

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-12-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comes out tommorrow, we will tell you then.
Old 05-12-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The director has said in interviews that the French cut is more acting oriented while the US cut leans more towards action.
Old 05-12-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, harosa. Is it known if the French cut will be available on the US DVD? If the answer is no, is this film already available on DVD in France?

And sorry, ChirsKnudsen. I forgot that although films begin on Thursdays in Puerto Rico they begin on Fridays in the continnental US.
Old 05-12-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

was it any good?
Old 05-12-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I said so in the other thread (once I remembered it existed). But seeing as that thread was more about anticipation of the film, I didn't want to put any spoilers in it.
Old 05-12-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by harosa
The director has said in interviews that the French cut is more acting oriented while the US cut leans more towards action.
Looks like I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 05-12-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a French film?
Old 05-12-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny thing is that there's more acting than action in the US cut. Loads more. This is in no way an action film. It's structured like Léon. There's lots of character developement and interaction but it happens to be bookended by really exciting action sequences. So what we got was very good.

But I am curious about the French cut to see what was left out as certain things really needed to be fleshed out a bit more.
Old 05-12-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This is a French film?
Yup. Though it happens to be filmed in English, it's a French film (similar to the situation with Blueberry).
Old 05-12-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yup. Though it happens to be filmed in English, it's a French film (similar to the situation with Blueberry).
You know the funny thing is, I'd more inclined to see it if they had advertised it as an artsy foreign film instead of a run-of-the-mill Jet Li action film.
Old 05-12-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the action-heavy trailers are very missleading. As I stated in the other thread, what action there is, though in scant quantities, is fantastic. Among the best Jet Li has done in a very long time. The best of it is, although he's presented as a supreme badass, he can get his ass kicked by stronger opponents and swarms of enemies do not attack in turns. So it's nice to see Jet Li as a mortal even though he's still the badass of the film.

But the film is actually very quirky. It has that Luc Besson style of being funny, endearing, and thrilling at the same time without feeling contradictory or disjointed (geez I wish he'd direct again!). It's not only better than all of Jet Li's American fare, it's better than all of Jet Li's american fare by leaps and bounds.

Also, Morgan Freeman is quite excellent in this as is Bob Hoskins (though his screentime is very limited). They even got Jet Li to act and he was very good as well. Sure, he's no Morgan Freeman but boy did I not expect to watch what is essentially a Jet Li acting vehicle and walk away enjoying his performance as well as his physical prowess. Even in Hero his acting wasn't really put to the test as it is in this film.
Old 05-12-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did they even bother with two cuts?
Old 05-12-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because of the missguided assumption that all Americans are knuckle-dragging idiots that can't handle plot in movies that star Jet Li?

But seriously, if the attempt was to make the US cut more action oriented, it still felt more of a character piece than an action film.
Old 05-12-05, 11:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Also, Morgan Freeman is quite excellent in this as is Bob Hoskins (though his screentime is very limited).
Say what?

Hoskins has more screentime than Freeman.

I said it before in the other, proper thread: Damn fine film. The best release this weekend.
Old 05-12-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quite the reverse. Hoskins is at the beginning and toward the end but I felt Freeman appeared more. Heck, that whole sequence about teaching Danny about food and home life were longer than any of Hoskins' scenes.
Old 05-13-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The best release this weekend.
Is there anything else coming out this weekend? Seems like a real slow week.
Old 05-13-05, 08:45 AM

Quite the reverse. Hoskins is at the beginning and toward the end but I felt Freeman appeared more. Heck, that whole sequence about teaching Danny about food and home life were longer than any of Hoskins' scenes.
Well, I disagree.

But I'll let other people who see the film this weekend decide for sure.
Old 05-13-05, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is there anything else coming out this weekend? Seems like a real slow week.

MONSTER-IN-LAW

KICKING AND SCREAMING

MINDHUNTERS
Old 05-13-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Well, I disagree.

But I'll let other people who see the film this weekend decide for sure.
I'll just have to see it again to be sure. Perhaps his character just made a bigger impression on me and that's why I remember him more.
Old 05-13-05, 10:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so how much was cut for the US Theatrical version, what is the running time of the Euro cut?
Old 05-13-05, 02:02 PM
Banned

I caught a screening of Unleashed today. I was very impressed. Li is fantastic, his performance is one of the best I've seen in a while. The action is brutal! I especially loved how the punches and kicks sounded real, they just sounded like this was really happening and it made the believeability work very well. I swear it looked like Jet was really beating the shit out of these guys. Morgan is great as always, but Hoskins really steals the show, much like Gary Oldman did in Leon. This is the best action movie I've seen in a long time. to everyone involved!

Grade: A
Old 05-13-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just came back from seeing Unleashed and I wonder if it was cut down in its US version.

Spoiler:
Before Bart has his final confrontation with Danny, he tells his goons to wait outside one of the apartments. After Sam smashes the ceramic pot on Bart's head, the film cuts to Victoria's recital. What happened to the remaining goons?

Anyone know?
Yeah, I was thinking the EXACT same thing, it was really only one of my two problems w/ the film.
Spoiler:
After Hoskins get's knocked out w/ the pot, I was like what the shit, what about the rest of the goons. I mean, there were a bunch outside that knew enough to start shooting at Danny as soon as he was at an open window, & then there was Hoskin's main guy & those goons right outside the door.
So I really felt like there was something cut out or just bad storytelling. Sometimes you just pair a weird combo of actors together & they have great chemistry & that is what happened w/ Freeman & Li in this film, they worked great together.

My other problem, was that I thought Freeman just did a pretty lousy job acting blind. He kept looking at people when he talked & you could see in some scenes his eyes through his sunglasses looking right at peope's faces, which blind people don't do. Its just a nitpick though, Freeman is so damn likeable it didn't ruin the film for me.

It's definitely lightyears ahead of anything Li has done in the States so far. It's a fantastic vehicle for him, & he really upped his acting ability. And I loved the brief close corters fight in that narrow hallway with the bald goon at the end of the film. However I thought the fights overall could have been MUCH better. This type of movie grounded in a character piece, should not have had wire-fu in it. The fights would have been much better just using Li's actual martial arts skill.

But I definitely felt that Hoskins had way more screen time than Freeman did. In fact significantly more, so I don't really know why the one guy said Freeman was on screen more.

And yes, Hoskins was good in this, but tt's almost the same character he played in The Long Good Friday, just a bit more over the top.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-13-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because of the missguided assumption that all Americans are knuckle-dragging idiots that can't handle plot in movies that star Jet Li?

But seriously, if the attempt was to make the US cut more action oriented, it still felt more of a character piece than an action film.
Yeah, exactly... so what's the point? what was changed?
Old 05-13-05, 06:55 PM

just saw it and was a bit dissapointed. action scenes were great, though extremly over the top(some parts seemed like really violent power rangers). i hated the step daughter and the whole middle of the movie with morgan freeman teaching Jet Li how to live didn't work for me. Some good stuff, but overall, just didn't get me going much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.