Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's new film: INLAND EMPIRE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Lynch's new film: INLAND EMPIRE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF - an excellent point. I'm always trying to 'convert' my non-Lynchian friends. Regardless of how he gets this film made, I definitely want to check it out.

FYI: The official website shows engagements at Laemle's Sunset 5 and Playhouse 7 starting on Friday, December 15th. I hope to catch a screening before Christmas.
Old 12-11-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jippy
SF - an excellent point. I'm always trying to 'convert' my non-Lynchian friends. Regardless of how he gets this film made, I definitely want to check it out.

FYI: The official website shows engagements at Laemle's Sunset 5 and Playhouse 7 starting on Friday, December 15th. I hope to catch a screening before Christmas.
The Playhouse 7 is close by.
Old 12-12-06, 09:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy

what are the playdates? (city/theatre)
Old 12-12-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Started December 6th
Limited Engagement at the IFC theater
W 3rd & 6th Ave. in Manhattan, NYC
Old 12-12-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
what are the playdates? (city/theatre)

On Laemmle's website, it shows a starting date of December 15th at both theaters. Showtimes aren't listed yet, but expect only a few day with a 179min. running time.
Old 12-12-06, 10:45 PM

Here's the Playhouse 7 show times in Pasadena: (it's showing on 2 screens. 4 times on one, 3 on the other) http://www.laemmle.com/new.php?date=12152006&thid=6

The Sunset 5 show times in Hollywood aren't up yet.
Old 12-13-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it this Friday at the IFC Center in New York. I am so psyched. I've been anticipating this since last fall.
Old 12-13-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will the DVD have Chapter stops?
Old 12-13-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lynch is the greatest. Even if you (rhetorical) don't "get" or like his films, you have to appreciate his commitment to his aesthetic. He really is one of the few film 'artists' who hasn't sold out his vision to fit in with mainstream Hollywood, or to otherwise commodify himself. Even his moneymaking ventures seem to exist solely for the purpose of financing the kind of work he really wants to be doing (ala Cassavetes).

I am sure that many will find Inland Empire to be self-indulgent and dull as a "movie" (which it may in fact be, for all I know). Frankly, I think all of that is beside the point when it comes to understanding and appreciating his films. Lynch obviously understands that art doesn't have to be conventionally entertaining to be meaningful (and I agree).

Given the unusual distribution scheme for Inland Empire, I seriously doubt it will make it around to my neck of the woods, but I will definitely be buying the DVD when it is available, no matter what the reviews are.
Old 12-13-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend

Given the unusual distribution scheme for Inland Empire, I seriously doubt it will make it around to my neck of the woods, but I will definitely be buying the DVD when it is available, no matter what the reviews are.
I agree, it only sounds like the top tier film markets (LA/NYC) will see it this month followed by select theatres/cities in 2007.
Old 12-13-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thakfully the film will be released on DVD this summer, so the wait for the unfortunate Lynch fans won't be that bad. Plus Twin Peaks season 2 will be out in the spring.

I have a question for anyone who has been to the IFC Center, or similar venues. What are the chances of the 5:20 or 8:45 shows on Friday selling out? I'm not sure if I should buy tickets online or not.
Old 12-13-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it this Friday at the IFC Center in New York. I am so psyched. I've been anticipating this since last fall.
I saw it there last Friday. Justin Theroux showed up, said he'd keep it short because it was a 3 hour movie, and read us a message from David Lynch that ended with "I hope you all have a good experience."

I'm still trying to process the movie.
Old 12-16-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I saw it last night, still haven't quite digested it. I will say that I liked it. It had some really great scenes, a lot of scenes I can't get out of my head.

I thought it looked really interesting. Sometimes the DV looked pretty damn good, like in well focused closeups, with delicate lighting. Sometimes it looked a bit poor, like outside on a bright sunny day. Still, I understand why he used it, and I think the look works for the film.
Old 12-21-06, 09:48 AM

just noted on AFI's Silver Theatre website that 'Inland Empire' opens on the 12th of January.
Old 01-18-07, 09:58 AM

uh... hmmmm.... okay....

you thought the ending of 'Mulholland Falls' was a headscratcher...

this is taken to the nth degree. Gotta still digest what I just saw.

What's up with the aspect ratio? imdb states it's 1.85 but some of the subtitled dialogue, notably the Czech ones were half on/off the screen, the double lined sequences were placed evenly, but the single lines weren't (what the hell? this has never been a problem at the AFI's Silver Theatre's main large screen).
Old 01-24-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is playing in Providence this weekend, and I'm debating whether or not to see it. Lynch is kind of hit and miss for me, and the positive reviews I've read all read like excuses for the film by Lynch apologists. Has anyone here who's seen it actually enjoyed it? I loved Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks, if that's any indication of how much I'd like Inland Empire. Didn't much care for Blue Velvet or Wild at Heart. I just don't want to go to the movies and have it feel like homework.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 01-24-07, 10:05 PM

I experienced it. Not sure what the fuck was going on at times, but I was never bored. Stay all the way through the credits.
Old 01-25-07, 04:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a massive Lynch fan and I hated this movie. The only movie I've hated more in the past year was X-Men 3.
Old 08-05-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
There was a special showing of this a few weeks ago, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was flatout stupid in parts, yet it mostly worked for me.

It wasn't as infuriatingly confusing as Mulhollnd Drive was when it first ended (which took a good 30 minutes to click), though... Then again, I had a better idea of what to expect.

There were a few too many obviously weird-for-weirds sake moments, but the movie flowed well and came together fairly nicely.
Old 08-06-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait until the DVD release next week. I saw this back in December and I've wanted to see it more than any other film since then. Plus there is practically a whole extra film on there with the 90 minutes of deleted scenes.
Old 08-06-07, 04:19 PM
Banned

I liked “Wild At Heart” as far as I can remember it was violent wacky and stylish, haven’t seen it since around early 1990’s on VHS PAL. Time to look for the region 2 DVD I guess.
Old 08-23-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm a massive Lynch fan and I hated this movie. The only movie I've hated more in the past year was X-Men 3.
Same here. I'm maybe not as big a Lynch fan as some of you guys, but I've seen most of his movies and enjoyed them. Mulholland Dr. was one of my favorite movies from 2001, and I was rooting for David Lynch to win the Oscar.

But Inland Empire...WTF man? This isn't even a movie, it's be more accurate to call it a "Motion Picture" since it contain pictures that move. When most people (myself included) here that this movie is weird, they probably think "Yeah, that's David Lynch for you" but this is just totally unrestrained weirdness for no reason. In the past, his movies have always contained some semblance normality, something you could hold onto when the weirdness hit. But this has nothing, it's just random images and people flittering across the screen. It's like he had three or four half-baked ideas for completely different movies, and instead of taking one and developing it into something semi-coherent, he just filmed all of them and once and smashed them together on-screen. FOR THREE F'ING HOURS!!!! I might have been able to withstand it for and hour and half, but after three hours it began to drain at my soul.

I was prepared to like this movie, I wanted to like this movie, but after seeing that...screw you, David Lynch. I'm glad it didn't meet with any critical or commercial success. Because if it did, we might have to suffer through something even worse next time. Like a four-hour long Rabbits: The Movie. *shudder* Get rid of the Sony Handycam, and come back to your partial sanity!
Old 08-25-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw it today and I have to agree, I'm a pretty big fan of his work (Twin Peaks, FWWM, Mulholland Dr, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, even the Straight Story and his short films dvd) but I really disliked this movie. Long, impossible to follow for me, and just not particularly engaging.
Maybe I'm just not bright enough to get what was going on but it just didn't grab me. Was about 10x weirder than I thought Eraserhead was which is obviously pretty weird.
Needless to say I'm glad I was able to view it in the comfort of my basement and not in the theater because for all I know I wouldn't have made it all the way through in one sitting. I can see why some may like it (cool shots, creepy stuff) but for me that wasn't enough. It was almost like someone doing a parody of a David Lynch movie just throwing in as much weird and nonsensical stuff as they could. In past Lynch films (with the possible exception of Eraserhead) the weirdness added to the plot, in this movie it was the plot. Disappointed but oh well nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 09-07-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hated it. Lynch needs to go back to film because the DV did NOT look like an old Hollywood film as Lynch wants us to believe, it just looked cheap and shitty. Really, really annoyed by the DV -- if I have to sit through three hours of movie, at least make it pretty for me. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to have to watch Mulholland Drive to clear my head of this dreck!
Old 09-07-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
I netflixed this and it's sitting next to my DVD player as we speak. I'll probably watch it in the next day or two but from the sounds of it I may need to spend the next couple of days psyching myself up, this film could be an endurance test.

I'll post back after I see it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.