Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks good!
Old 05-10-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
It looks good but I'm not getting my hopes up. There is just way too much ground to cover. The last movie didn't really help my confidence at all. I hope they take time for the character development this time around.

Any pics of Mad Eye?
Old 05-10-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
It looks good but I'm not getting my hopes up. There is just way too much ground to cover. The last movie didn't really help my confidence at all. I hope they take time for the character development this time around.

Any pics of Mad Eye?
the actor is Brendan Gleeson

I haven't seen pics of him on set, however.

birrman54
Old 05-10-05, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Now I am confused by the teaser poster and maybe somebody can straighten this out for me.

In Azkaban HP wears # 7 in the tournament, it can clearly be seen when he is on the broom. Now in the teaser poster he is wearing #4, also in the teaser trailer, is that because its the 4th movie, or did he change his # and does that relate to the story in any way? Call me wacko, its just one of those details I can let go
Old 05-11-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because he's the 4th champion competing in the Tri-Wizard tournament. I don't recall them wearing "uniforms" in the book though.
Old 05-11-05, 07:44 AM
Banned

I gave up on the Potter thing after the second picture. I thought the first was okay, but the second was a real snooze fest, I don't think I've ever been has bored at a film as I was at that one. I didn't even bother with the third, but I heard it was a more adult in tone and darker, which is what these flicks needed, not to mention a real director and not the Soap Commercial hack of a director Columbus was. The trailer for this one looks pretty good, might have to check it out.
Old 05-11-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was glad there were actually new scenes in the trailer --- I thought it was just going to be a really really bad teaser.
Old 05-11-05, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
I gave up on the Potter thing after the second picture. I thought the first was okay, but the second was a real snooze fest, I don't think I've ever been has bored at a film as I was at that one. I didn't even bother with the third, but I heard it was a more adult in tone and darker, which is what these flicks needed, not to mention a real director and not the Soap Commercial hack of a director Columbus was. The trailer for this one looks pretty good, might have to check it out.
Check out the third film. Much, MUCH better than the first two, IMO. I share your opinion on the first and second films.
Old 05-11-05, 07:55 AM
Banned

Yeah, thanks I'll check out the third one, I've seen it used for a decent price, or I'll get it PVed.
Old 05-11-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taa455
Check out the third film. Much, MUCH better than the first two, IMO. I share your opinion on the first and second films.
Seconded. Although I liked the second one more than you did.
Old 05-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the fact that Peeves was left on the cutting room floor. Rik Mayall was supposed to play the poltergeist. Talk about perfect casting!
That is one thing about the books that has always confused me. It was my understanding that poltergeists are invisible, a definition I just looked up says:

A poltergeist (German for rumbling ghost) is widely believed to be an invisible ghost that interacts with others by moving and influencing inanimate objects.

I read the first few books thinking Peeves was invisible, I don't remember much description of him, but the last two books (or maybe just the last one) definitely descriped him physically.
Old 05-11-05, 01:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
got an email from IMAX today:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is Coming to IMAX: November 18th

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The IMAX Experience will be released to select IMAX theatres beginning November 18th! This highly anticipated film will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (digital re-mastering) technology.

tre cool
Old 05-12-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sherm42
The one thing I really hope they keep in is Dumbledore's speech to the school at the end of the book where he talks about good and evil and the need to stand united as one. That was some of JK Rowling's best writing to date.
At the end of the trailer, it sounds like Dumbledore is giving a modified version of this speech to Harry, ie, choosing between what is right and what is easy.

I too was hoping for Dumbledore's speech to the school to remain intact. I don't really think it makes much sense to address Harry personally with the good/easy speech, seeing as Harry is not what I would call a complex character when it comes to good/evil. He may break some rules, but he has shown absolutely no indication that he would ever "go bad."
Old 05-12-05, 02:15 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. GoF is my favorite of the books so far.
Old 05-12-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
When they make cuts I don't think they think about if the scene will be needed to set something up for the next movie. This is probably why I didn't like the last one as much as the first.
Old 05-12-05, 05:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
That's not true. JK Rowling consults on the scripts to make sure that nothing is cut from the films that will cause problems for future films. She has said that nothing crucial was cut from the third film that will affect future fims.

This is especially important since she is the only one that knows if a particular scene is crucial for what will happen in Books 6 and 7.
Old 05-14-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if they'll leave in the bit of knowledge that
Spoiler:
Voldermort had tortured Neville Longbottom's parents into insanity using one of the Unforgiveable curses.
Although he's a supporting character, it provides a huge part of his backstory and displays the depth of Voldemort's cruelty.
Old 05-16-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tofu
Looks good although I'm curious to see who they picked to play Cho the Ho.

FYI, she doesn't really turn into a ho 'til book 5 though.
Old 05-16-05, 08:50 PM

I've been reading this one and it really is the best to date. Can anyone tell me if they continue to improve with every book?
Old 05-17-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'd probably be better served looking for the Order of the Phoenix thread in that Book Forum I've heard about. Suffice it to say, the two could not be more different. I wouldn't say it's worse (or better), but it can be a very frustrating read.
Old 05-17-05, 04:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. GoF is my favorite of the books so far.
Ditto! Though I liked the first two quite a bit, even if they are a bit pedestrian.
Old 05-17-05, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Hmmm... I wonder if they'll leave in the bit of knowledge that
Spoiler:
Voldermort had tortured Neville Longbottom's parents into insanity using one of the Unforgiveable curses.
Although he's a supporting character, it provides a huge part of his backstory and displays the depth of Voldemort's cruelty.

That may be something that can be held until the next movie without much consequence.

I'm wondering if this movie will include
Spoiler:
Hermione's S.P.E.W. campaign. Quite honestly, this is a plot thread I would not miss.
Old 05-17-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
I've been reading this one and it really is the best to date. Can anyone tell me if they continue to improve with every book?
I would guess that opinions will vary, but I was disappointed with book 5. I found Harry a fairly unsympathetic character in Order of the Phoenix and the plot and events were not as compelling as those in book 4, which remains my favorite. IMO, of course.

Originally Posted by silentbob007
...I'm wondering if this movie will include
Spoiler:
Hermione's S.P.E.W. campaign. Quite honestly, this is a plot thread I would not miss.
This seems like an obvious plot element to cut, given the amount of condensation needed to trim the long book into a 2 hour movie. I'd be surprised if it is mentioned much, if at all.

Last edited by lizard; 05-17-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by silentbob007

I'm wondering if this movie will include
Spoiler:
I would say yes unless it becomes a major plot element in future books, although I cant see why it would. I think the problem with OotP is that it came after GOF which is a tough act to follow. I liked that the book made Harry a little unlikeable in it, but it definitely fell a little flat coming after GOF.
Old 05-18-05, 09:08 AM

While I liked OotP, it definately needed trimmed. Too much time was spent on Harry's bubbling emotions without any real progress in explaining them without having another character simply state why he's acting they was he was.

As for GoF,
Spoiler:
I'm interested in seeing how much character development will be lost in translation. This movie is going to be moving at a brisk pace to hit the high points, so Harry's frustration in finding a partner for the Yule Ball or trying to solve the clues might just become a sidenote. I'm also curious how Harry's infatuation with Cho will be set up ... it is not really something that can be skipped completely simply because of the Cedric/Cho/Harry plot ramifications in OotP and probably beyond. I guess the only thing that I am truly hopeful for is that they don't wuss out on the graveyard scene ... let the ending be dark with only a hint of light.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.