Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Labyrinth of Evil

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Labyrinth of Evil

I figured this would be more suited for here rather than the Book Forum. Has anyone read this yet? I'm about half way done. Good story so far. Gives a ton of back story on Grevious and the Trade Federation.
Old 04-28-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it but didn't love it. It was the first Star Wars book that I read (other than TPM) so I don't know what I was expecting. It does offer some backstory and fills in the gaps between II and III, but really not that much going on in this book IMHO.
Old 04-28-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree 100% with Ketamine. I stopped reading SW novels long ago, but I picked this one up because of the (mostly) great reviews and the fact that it was a direct tie-in to Episode III.

I thought it was 'meh'. It had some good parts, especially the
Spoiler:
search for Sideous
, but there wasn't a ton of plot. Not a bad read, but I wouldn't really recommend.
Old 04-28-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the fact that we learned about Gen. Grevious and his story
Spoiler:
though in the book he is either not as powerful as I would have thought or Dooku is a major bad ass.

Also nice to hear more of Anakin's exploits and how he has improved his skill since the last time we saw him.

The main thing the book did for me was make we want to watch the first 2 prequels again and improved my understanding of what was going on in the TPM and AOTC.
Old 04-28-05, 12:21 PM

I thought it was great personally, though I am a little bias.

I'm more interested in Dark Lord coming out next year. It will be interesting to see what they write going through the mind of Vader as he's finishing off the last few Jedi.
Old 04-28-05, 12:30 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are the other clone wars books?

I generally like star wars novels (not a fan of the new jedi order series though as it's just too long and drawn out) but I haven't checked out any of the prequel trilogy timeline books yet.
Old 04-28-05, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
How are the other clone wars books?
very good overall.....i've read all that are available in paperback(i hate hard covers) besides Dark Rendezvous which is on it's way here.

the Medstar Series is a little lacking as far as action goes(think M*A*S*H except Star Wars) but they are very well written overall....i would at least read "Shatterpoint" it gives a lot of insight into Mace and how war effects Jedi. the effects of war on jedi, clones, and the common people of other worlds is a pretty clear theme with all of the books.

for the most part i've enjoyed the Clone Wars books better than the post ROTJ stuff i've read(Zahn trilogy aside)
Old 04-28-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I am reading and enjoying LOE. It does make you enjoy the other two prequels more and also illustrates how Anakin and Obi-Wan really were good friends as opposed to being at odds like AOTC portrayed them.

So I take it Dark Lord is about the early days of Vader in the suit?
Old 04-29-05, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So I take it Dark Lord is about the early days of Vader in the suit?
Yep. This is taken from a James Luceno interview after he wrote LoE.

Are you working on any more Star Wars novels? What about projects outside the Star Wars universe?

At the moment I'm working on a book that will form a loose trilogy with Labyrinth of Evil and Matt Stover's adaptation of Revenge of the Sith. Focusing on Darths Vader and Sidious, along with a band of Jedi that survives the events depicted in the film, Star Wars: Dark Lord begins before Revenge ends, and takes place over the course of the subsequent month or two.
Old 04-29-05, 05:40 PM

Where there any EU books written before the prequels that deal with the clone wars? Those would be interesting to read if there are any.
Old 04-29-05, 06:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, no Clone Wars novels were written before the prequels.

Lucas wouldn't let anyone write about that time period.
Old 05-01-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Just finished LOE. A great read and lots of fun, especially towards the end with
Spoiler:
the invasion of Coruscant by Grievous.
It basically serves as a lead in to ROTS and a chance for fans of General Grievous to get their fill of him being a bad ass.
That said, I am not sure whether to accept this or the Clone Wars cartoon as the official prequel to ROTS. While it seems that GL favors the cartoon, which is also what I would call a worthy lead in, LOE seems to make more sense. What I find interesting is that while LOE and the cartoon don't exactly go hand in hand, a lot of situations and the participants in them wind up being identical. I guess since they are both techincally EU when it all boils down, I can pick whichever one I want. The only thing that doesn't really click is how
Spoiler:
Grievous sustains his injury that causes him to cough in ROTS. In the cartoon it's Mace force pushing him and destroying a lung, whereas in the book Mace causes him to collapse and apparently lose a plate when he falls off a train, even though it's not written but inferred. Interesting that both this and the cartoon also had train fights.