Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jar Jar Binks is all to blame

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jar Jar Binks is all to blame

Old 04-25-05, 08:59 PM
  #1  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jar Jar Binks is all to blame

When you really think about it, it was Jar Jar Binks dumb ass that gave Palpatine to take power in AOTC. From that it grew and he built the Empire to hunt down the Jedi etc. Wonder if Lucas was getting revenge for all the bitching from the fans about the dufas creature he created.
Old 04-25-05, 09:11 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,225
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi. Welcome to three years ago.
Old 04-25-05, 09:14 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
ViewAskewbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Posts: 16,055
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Old 04-25-05, 09:30 PM
  #4  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well, thought I'd bring it up again in this forum.
Old 04-25-05, 09:38 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meesa don't believes yousa.
Old 04-25-05, 09:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree. the real reason TPM sucked was because they started Anakin's journay off waaaay to young. If they did it so that he was luke's age it would have saved on the filler and would have made a better mirror image to the trilogy.
Old 04-25-05, 09:45 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
ViewAskewbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Posts: 16,055
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I disagree. the real reason TPM sucked was because they started Anakin's journay off waaaay to young. If they did it so that he was luke's age it would have saved on the filler and would have made a better mirror image to the trilogy.
Agree. I would have LOVED to see some of stuff with Assaj Ventress (sp?) from the Clone Wars cartoon which could have been used, say, as a second movie before SITH. But, still would have had to have the pod race scene.
Old 04-25-05, 09:55 PM
  #8  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,607
Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I disagree. the real reason TPM sucked was because they started Anakin's journay off waaaay to young. If they did it so that he was luke's age it would have saved on the filler and would have made a better mirror image to the trilogy.
He's not talking about why TPM sucked. It's about Jar Jar causing the fall of the Jedi.
Old 04-25-05, 10:13 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,912
Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I have to say though that Jar Jar is not the most annoying character.





Little Ani is. At least Jar Jar fit in with a fictional character. The little boy who played ani was such a horrible performance that it just makes the whole movie look ridiculous. Definately not the boy Vader should be.
Old 04-25-05, 10:24 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obey The D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 8,626
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tanman
I have to say though that Jar Jar is not the most annoying character.

Little Ani is. At least Jar Jar fit in with a fictional character. The little boy who played ani was such a horrible performance that it just makes the whole movie look ridiculous. Definately not the boy Vader should be.
Watched TPM again last night. There's only two parts were I cringe with regards to Jake Loyd's performance. The, "I'm a person and my name is Anakin" line, and "Yippee". Other than that, I didn't think he was that bad. After all, he's just supposed to be a little kid. It seems like people went in expecting to see Lil Ani force choke the shit out of people that got in his way.
Old 04-25-05, 11:11 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
He's not talking about why TPM sucked. It's about Jar Jar causing the fall of the Jedi.

That was done to bring some sort of justification to the fans hate towards jar jar.
Old 04-26-05, 10:01 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,333
Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
It seems like people went in expecting to see Lil Ani force choke the shit out of people that got in his way.
Actually, that would have been awesome. Loads better than that lame Greedo deleted scene.
Old 04-26-05, 01:28 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Universe.
Posts: 2,923
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAMN JAR JAR!! He's to blame for everything!! DAMN JAR JAR!!!
Old 04-26-05, 02:53 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tanman
I have to say though that Jar Jar is not the most annoying character.





Little Ani is. At least Jar Jar fit in with a fictional character. The little boy who played ani was such a horrible performance that it just makes the whole movie look ridiculous. Definately not the boy Vader should be.
I have to agree with you 100% on this one. I mean, when Qui-Gon picks up Ani and puts him in the pod and he goes "Whoaaa..."? Just plain bad.
Old 04-26-05, 03:12 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,225
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Obey The D
It seems like people went in expecting to see Lil Ani force choke the shit out of people that got in his way.
Old 04-26-05, 04:46 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,612
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason TPM sucked can be summed up in two words: Jake Lloyd. That kid's acting made Hayden Christiansen look like Anthony Hopkins.
Old 04-27-05, 12:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,015
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
Watched TPM again last night. There's only two parts were I cringe with regards to Jake Loyd's performance. The, "I'm a person and my name is Anakin" line, and "Yippee". Other than that, I didn't think he was that bad. After all, he's just supposed to be a little kid. It seems like people went in expecting to see Lil Ani force choke the shit out of people that got in his way.
Besides that, the "Are you an angel?" line is pretty bad, too. But at least two of those bad lines are because of the dialogue, and I don't think any delivery would have improved them.

It would have been hilarious if Li'l Ani Force-choked people.
Old 04-27-05, 01:21 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 10,300
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I disagree. the real reason TPM sucked was because they started Anakin's journay off waaaay to young. If they did it so that he was luke's age it would have saved on the filler and would have made a better mirror image to the trilogy.
I have to agree. I don't know what the canon is on when Jedi go into training, but since Ani was too old anyway they could have made him a little older. The pessimist in me says it was a further attempt by Lucas to make the series kid friendly. The role seemed to be written with a 12-15 year old in mind. I know Ani was suppose to be a prodigy, but building robots and pod racing at 8 is a bit much. Having him so young made his part of the final battle seem entirely goofy, like a Home Alone movie. Also, it made it extra weird to know Padame was going to be knocking boots with the little tyke.
Old 04-27-05, 03:45 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 641
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else feel bad for Ahmad Best? It wasn't his fault Jar Jar was so bad - he was just an actor getting paid - to be in a Star Wars movie no less. Hell, he didn't even make up the accent - it was in the script that way. I'm sure Lucas convinced him how great Jar Jar was going to be.

Now the poor guy is associated with one of the most hated screen characters EVER. And before you complain, YES, I know there are a few people out there who love Jar Jar. However, these are the same people who probably drive a Pontiac Aztek.
Old 04-27-05, 04:22 PM
  #20  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
The reason TPM sucked can be summed up in two words: Jake Lloyd. That kid's acting made Hayden Christiansen look like Anthony Hopkins.
Jar Jar is 100 times more the reason why TPM is not easy to watch.
Old 04-27-05, 05:11 PM
  #21  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
I have to agree. I don't know what the canon is on when Jedi go into training, but since Ani was too old anyway they could have made him a little older. The pessimist in me says it was a further attempt by Lucas to make the series kid friendly. The role seemed to be written with a 12-15 year old in mind. I know Ani was suppose to be a prodigy, but building robots and pod racing at 8 is a bit much. Having him so young made his part of the final battle seem entirely goofy, like a Home Alone movie. Also, it made it extra weird to know Padame was going to be knocking boots with the little tyke.
I agree.

It's also disapointing how Jar Jar caused a lot of this, you would of thought Lucas would of thought of a better way. But nothing we can do about it now. The only consulation is that ROTS is looking to be an awesome film.
Old 04-27-05, 07:24 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel Ani was the problem. I could've lived with Jar Jar if the movie had a main character I gave a shit about. But little Ani was grating, obnoxious, and disinteresting. Though, even though the kid was directed horribly, I think in concept the idea of 8 year old Ani was a bad one to begin with. I'm just not that interested in that story.
Old 04-27-05, 08:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,864
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I've been thinking about this...if Lucas had gone with an adult anakin from the start...problem is if Ob-Wan only met and knew him for 5-6 yrs it wouldn't be as dramatic when he loses him, by knowing him for 12-13 yrs it adds a little more to it. That being said I would've bumped his age up 4 or 5 yrs...make him him at least 12 or 13 in TPM, than ten yrs later for 2nd chapter, another 2 or 3 yrs later for this one. (how much time has passed between AOTC and ROTS anyways?)

The other way is just having Obi-Won and Anakin already knowing each other when the series starts...don't know if it would've been better or not.

Going the younger route I would've probably made Padme the same age as Anakin, and recast her for the 2nd and 3rd films as well.

Last edited by Artman; 04-27-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 10:20 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with the acting and age in regards to little Ani, but Jar Jar really was the problem with TPM. I'm convinced that you could edit 15 minutes or so of superfluous Jar Jar crap out of TPM and it would be a much tighter, much more engaging movie.

However...

That wasn't the intent of the thread. My feeling in that regard is that Palpatine would have found someone to manipulate even if Jar Jar hadn't been around. Jar Jar was just handy and was an easy target. To say it's "his fault" is a fallacy IMO.
Old 04-28-05, 11:02 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,225
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
That wasn't the intent of the thread. My feeling in that regard is that Palpatine would have found someone to manipulate even if Jar Jar hadn't been around. Jar Jar was just handy and was an easy target. To say it's "his fault" is a fallacy IMO.
Truth.

I guess it makes some people feel better about themselves to lay the blame directly on Jar-Jar.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.