Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HP to restore "King Kong" (1933) and "re-invent" Cinerama

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HP to restore "King Kong" (1933) and "re-invent" Cinerama

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigStinky
well thats what i said too so I now I even make my own screen savers. [garble snipped]
WTF?
Old 08-02-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enjoyed your comments

Originally Posted by marknyc

So has anyone heard any more on a release date for the new DVD?

Mark
nothing new. looking like december though. keep checking.

What's the holdup on 1933 King Kong?
Old 09-23-05, 02:05 PM
Suspended

New developments from Hewlett-Packard:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/sp...05nab2005.html

SHANE ROBISON
Keynote address at NAB2005
National Association of Broadcasters show
Las Vegas
April 18, 2005

First, we're helping Warner Bros. to restore their Cinerama films. In the 1950s and '60s, Cinerama was kind of the IMAX of its day, and it captivated American audiences with its wide panorama views. The only problem was they were shot with three cameras and then blended together on a curved screen. Now this became a problem. The original elements began to deteriorate. And when you try to stitch them together for DVD release, you could actually see the seams between the cameras. Well, that is until today.

As you saw in the clip from How the West Was Won, HP used its own image-processing technology, which is found today in our digital cameras, to help them remove the seams and restore this classic movie. In addition, we're helping Warner Bros. with their ultra resolution restoration by harnessing the power of parallel processing to manage huge amounts of data.

We announced today that Warner Bros. tapped HP to help restore its 1933 classic motion picture, King Kong. The original negative of this film no longer even exists, and the remaining prints have long since deteriorated. So, using HP's technology, these prints have been scanned at 4K resolution. And again, we're using technology originally invented for our digital still cameras to clean dirt and scratches from the film image. So King Kong will be restored and seen with greater clarity and more detail than ever before - even better, actually, than the original theatrical release in 1933. And this new, restored version will be screened theatrically. It will also be broadcast on television in advance of the new remake of King Kong, which is scheduled for release, I think, in December. So that's a bit about restoration.
The presentation comes with a video. I you look really fast, you will see a 5-second clip of the "seamless" new How the West Was Won. I reserve judgement but it looks OK.
Old 09-23-05, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand - this is the same link you posted last April. What are the "new developments"?
Old 09-24-05, 07:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marknyc
I don't understand - this is the same link you posted last April. What are the "new developments"?
This updated link contains the press conference highlighting in more detail the April 18, 2005 announcement. It is also on video and this video shows - almost four minutes in - a clip from the restored, seamless "How the West Was Won".
Old 10-04-05, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Still no word on the promised theatrical release?

My emails to HP, Universal and Film Forum have all gone unanswered.