Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hotel Rwanda...An amazing movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hotel Rwanda...An amazing movie

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rented Hotel Rwanda last night and thought it was an excellent and powerful movie. I first learned about the Rwanda genocide from my 3rd World Politics class I took in college in 2003 and the movie nicely portrays on what happended and why the conflict occured. Like everyone else, I totally recommend the film.

Last edited by QuikSilver; 05-11-05 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
I'm 45th in line to get this from my library. Sounds like it will be worth the wait.
Old 05-11-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Excellent movie.
Old 05-11-05, 05:03 PM

I'm looking forward (?) to seeing this and "Sometimes in April". I read the books "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda" and "A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide" in the last couple years, and highly recommend them to anyone interested in this issue.
Old 05-11-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally think Don Cheadle should've won Best Actor instead of Jamie Foxx.
Old 05-11-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don Cheadle is my favorite actor now and is by far the most underrated actor breathing today.

For anyone who is a Cheadle fan watch a movie called The Goat,not sure if it's out on DVD but if you have any chance to watch it do so,he shine's in this and is the main reason why I like him as a actor so much.
Old 05-12-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i loved this movie.

But watching it makes me extremely sad that no one... no one helped these people out.

1000000 dead... and no one helped
Old 05-12-05, 04:07 PM

I am pretty progressive/liberal, but I always bristle when I hear people talk about how great a president Clinton was - a great president would have taken the initiative to get the U.N. immediately involved, despite what happened in Somalia. He chickened out for political reasons, and Albright twiddled her thumbs trying to avoid calling it a genocide, and no one did a thing. We even bungled the refugee situation afterwards, allowing terrible things to happen inside the camps with the formation of more Interahamwe (sp? death squads) which would go marauding for more victims. And if anyone out there thinks the French have gotten a bum rap in the last 50 years or so, read the books I recommended in one of the above posts and then see what you think.
Old 05-12-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
I personally think Don Cheadle should've won Best Actor instead of Jamie Foxx.
I agree.
Old 05-12-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lucasorion
I am pretty progressive/liberal, but I always bristle when I hear people talk about how great a president Clinton was - a great president would have taken the initiative to get the U.N. immediately involved, despite what happened in Somalia. He chickened out for political reasons, and Albright twiddled her thumbs trying to avoid calling it a genocide, and no one did a thing. We even bungled the refugee situation afterwards, allowing terrible things to happen inside the camps with the formation of more Interahamwe (sp? death squads) which would go marauding for more victims.

The Pbs.org "Frontline" has some good video clips of the Ghost of Rwanda. It also says how the Clinton Administration wouldn't do anything about the genocide..

I probably will buy the Ghosts of Rwanda DVD when it is available.
Old 05-12-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

we freaking sat back and fu##$#king did nothing..... we sat back and watched innocent people(women and children) die at the hands of murders and we rush to help Tsunami victims.....everyone rushed... but no one.... no one helped these people.... we should be ashamed.
Old 07-04-05, 07:25 PM
Retired

Finally rented and watched this.

A great film. Cheadle definitely deserved best actor of Jamie Foxx.

One of the most moving and emotionally draining films I've every watched.
Old 07-05-05, 12:44 AM

Cheadle should have won it alone for the scene where he breaks down getting dressed after seeing first-hand the impact of the genocide on his country. Him having trouble with the tie and then ripping open his shirt was an amazing scene. No words, but the power and emotion of that scene came through so clearly. I hadn't seen Hotel Rwanda before the Oscars and thought Jamie Foxx was a good choice, but now I have my doubts.
Old 07-05-05, 12:59 PM
Retired

Indeeed, amazing scene and I agree as that's the point where I said "man he should have won the Oscar for this!"
Old 07-05-05, 07:30 PM

I might have said this already, but when I was at my Oscar party I was telling a friend that I wanted to mark Cheadle anyway, knowing it was Jamie's year.

She didn't understand until she saw it a few weeks ago. She was in total agreement that he should have won.

Now Jamie's next movie is Stealth? Hope he doesn't pull a Cuba Gooding on us.