Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2005 Amityville Horror remake...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I am a believer in that a thread is useless without pics...

Seriously, check her out. Barely in Mulholland Drive and Dark City, but steals whatever scene she's in. Unforgettable.
Old 02-26-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I can't wait to see this. Who would have thought Mikey Bay would be the one delivering on the "nasty" horror flicks?
Old 02-26-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
When is this hitting theaters?
Old 02-27-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Based on a true story.'
Old 02-27-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
'Based on a true story.'
DeFeo murders? Yeah, they happened! Lutz family moving in? Yeah, THAT HAPPENED!

We now have the BASIS of a true story! Anything else is just gravy.
Old 03-22-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMITYVILLE MURDERER displeased with new movie

http://www.newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=355459082

The most recent of 10 motion pictures concerning Ronald DeFeo, 'The Amityville Horror', starring Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George, as George and Kathleen Lutz, who claimed a murder house they purchased was possessed by demons, is set to break box-office records, 'The New Criminologist', reveals today.

The true-life killer, Ronald DeFeo Jr, 54, whom slaughtered his family of six in 1974, is said to be furious: "This film is wrecking my chances of parole later this year," he bitterly complains.

A NYDOC correctional officer close to DeFeo reports: "This inmate is very, very angry indeed. He has been trying to make a fast buck out of his crimes for decades and failed. This new movie is a double whammy for Mr. DeFeo. It is being released just prior to his second parole application, and once again he is not getting a dime."

In the only filmed interview ever given by DeFeo, he told investigative criminologist and author, Christopher Berry-Dee:

"They made a monster outa me an' the public is terrified of me and they don’t want me back on the streets…I guess the Amityville Horror is really me because I am the one who got convicted of killing my family. I am the one who did it. I am the one supposed to be possessed."

Currently incarcerated behind the grim walls of the Green Haven CF, Stormville, NY, DeFeo, has recently married a third time and his wife, Tracey, calls him: "a Saint".

In a homicidal event that caused revulsion across the US, Ronald 'Butch' DeFeo Jr, blasted to death his parents, Ronald Sr (44) and Louise DeFeo (43), during the early morning hours of 13 November 1974, at their home, 112 Ocean Avenue, Amityville, LI.

Moments later, he fired his .35-cal Marlin hunting rifle into siblings: John (9), Marc (12), Allison (13) and Dawn (18), in an atrocity equalling any famlicide murder in history.

Former Amityville Chief of Police Ken Greguski, who was a patrolman at the time, and the first to attend the scene, told 'The New Criminologist':

"Personally, I had never seen anything this gruesome, and I have been on the Force for just over 29 years at that particular time. I had two daughters the same age as the murdered girls. I could not sleep for months. DeFeo was like an animal. I don’t see how anyone can kill their family like that."

DeFeo pled guilty to all charges. On 21 November 1975 he was sentenced to 25 years to life on all six counts of second-degree murder, and became eligible for parole in 1999.

Over the decades, much controversy has revolved around a possible miscarriage of justice for the killer. However, DeFeo, who has never shown the slightest remorse, is a pathological, sociopathic liar, and a man who has tried to make capital from his heinous deeds since day one.

"I'm one of the most infamous criminals in the US," he recently boasted. "I'm all about money."

Yet, in a bigoted twist, Mrs Tracey DeFeo, and former British police officer, Ian Heffron, who is supporting DeFeo's bid for a new trial, are co-writing a book, called: 'The Gravy Train' which is intended to expose anyone who has ever earned a dime from reporting on the Amityville homicides.

So journos and filmmakers, we had better watch out!

Mr DeFeo has changed his story so many times; it has become obvious that he would still be considered a serious risk to society, if he were ever released.

New York Department of Corrections Deputy Commissioner and Counsel, Anthony J. Annucci, explains why DeFeo must remain in close custody:

"Mr. DeFeo's Control Monitoring Case (CMS) designation is based upon his conviction for murder after shooting six members of his family. He requires close supervision because of the notoriety of his crimes as well as the movies and books which were based upon the event."

More recently, DeFeo has once again changed his version of what happened that fateful night in 1974. Today, he postures on his web site, that his sister, Dawn, shot the siblings, that he merely shot his parents and lastly Dawn.

Although there is no legal precedent, Ronald DeFeo's wife has recently petitioned for a new trial. She claims she will sue the Department of Corrections, over visitation access, arguing that she is being denied “a meaningful marriage."

'The New Criminologist' has just launched a comprehensive DVD-Rom, which exposes previously unpublished material and countless DeFeo letters and film footage. It is set to further infuriate Ronald DeFeo and his supporters, who want back on the streets.

The DeFeo case became immortalised, in criminal history, by the shock-horror movie: The Amityville Horror (1979), starring James Brolin, Margot Kidder and Rod Steiger.

This blockbuster was followed by: Amityville II: The Possession (1982) - loosely based on the DeFeo 'possession' and murders.
Old 03-22-05, 09:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
ahhhh...poor guy, i feel so bad for the possessed homicidal convicted slaughterer of his entire family!
guy, just can't catch a break.Club Me

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-22-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And ungrateful! Your average family-killing murderer gets maybe 10 days of notoriety before he is completely forgotten about, but this guy gets immortalized and he's still quipping.
Old 03-22-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're ruining his chance for parole?
Um, no, the fact that he shot up his family is ruining his chance for parole.

It's like bringing back a pair of pants, saying they make your ass look fat. "No, your ASS makes your ass look fat..."
Old 03-22-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If he ever did get paroled, I can read the newspaper headlines now: The Night HE Came Home - article relates how Ronald DeFeo, Jr. returns to his former Amityville home and slaughters the Wilsons.
Old 03-22-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It's like bringing back a pair of pants, saying they make your ass look fat. "No, your ASS makes your ass look fat..."
Old 03-22-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are about a dozen things about this article that make me almost lose it but THIS pisses me off the most:

She claims she will sue the Department of Corrections, over visitation access, arguing that she is being denied “a meaningful marriage."
Old 03-22-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
He'll be really pissed if he sees Amityville II: The Possession!
Old 03-22-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the whole thing turned out to be a hoax?
Old 03-22-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The murders were real - and that was the real Amityville horror. Ronnie DeFeo was Amityville's horror.
Old 03-22-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That guy needs to get over himself. No one cares about him, this is just a remake of a 70's horror movie. Maybe he does't get much Hollywood news in the pokey, but it's hardly a shocking development.

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I thought the whole thing turned out to be a hoax?
The original murders were real. It was the demonic possession of the house that was the hoax.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 03-22-05 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ohhh.Thanks for the clarification.
He murdered his whole family and he wants to get out of prison?
Old 03-22-05, 05:27 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
There are about a dozen things about this article that make me almost lose it but THIS pisses me off the most:

She claims she will sue the Department of Corrections, over visitation access, arguing that she is being denied “a meaningful marriage."
Especially considering she married him in 2004... she knew what she was getting into.
Old 03-23-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Convicted of the 2nd murder of six people, and he only got 25-to-life??????!!!!?!?!!?!

Parole him. I'm sure there are a few people in the great state of New York that'll be happy to see him in the parking lot...
Old 04-15-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw an advanced screening of this last night, and I have to say, it didn't suck as badly as I thought it would. It won't go down in history as a great horror film, and the film kind of deteriorated into your typical Hollywood mess near the end, but it definitely didn't suck as badly as the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, for example. If you're a horror fan, it might be worth a look. Don't expect it to be very good, and you may walk away content on some level.

Oh, and for the record, Ryan Reynolds is a funny motherfucker. He gave probably the best Q&A I've heard since the "An Evening with Kevin Smith" DVD was released.

-JP
Old 04-15-05, 11:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Some reviews from MetaCritic:

Los Angeles Times Kevin Thomas
The film is a terrific scare show, fast and furious, made with a lot of style and energy, packing plenty of jolts yet never lingering morbidly over horrific images. It is anchored in strong characterizations, and its plot develops with chilling psychological suspense. It's such a skillfully made entertainment that its plunge into the supernatural is persuasive even for the skeptical.

Washington Post Michael O'Sullivan
I got exactly what I expected: Scared and tickled, within an inch of my life.

Variety Scott Foundas
Begins slavishly faithful to its low-key 1970s predecessor then sledgehammers auds with a numbing succession of shock edits and over-the-top horror effects.

TV Guide Maitland McDonagh
First-time feature director A]ndrew Douglas, whose advertising background is evident in every frame, brings lashings of style but no sense of real horror to the recycled script.

USA Today Claudia Puig
In this Amityville, the performances are bad, the special effects ho-hum, and it's not even particularly scary.

Last edited by Geofferson; 04-15-05 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-15-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Man, sounds like the LA Times Kevin Thomas went to a screening of THE EXORICST instead of THE AMITYVILLE HORROR. I hope the check he got for shilling for the movie was worth his credibility. Anyone know if ALL his reviews are like this?
Old 04-15-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll see it at the bargain matinee. My expectations are so low I should be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-15-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I found the TCM re-make to be quite entertaining. Not great, but entertaining. Is there a chance I might like this one? I'm so sick of PG-13 horror I might check this out just to see an R horror movie in the theater for once.
Old 04-15-05, 01:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

FIlmjerk - D

REVIEW

"When faced with an iffy script and Douglas’s obvious pride in his thunderstorm lightning simulator, the fact that Reynolds and George can register at all is something of a miracle. "

JoBlo - 6/10

REVIEW

"All in all, see it for the lovely leads, see it for a surprising amount of effective 'boo scares', see if it you’re looking for quickie 'horror fix' and see it so that you can remind yourself of what an R-rated horror movie looks like."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.