Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Universal making a mistake moving up Land Of The Dead by four months?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Universal making a mistake moving up Land Of The Dead by four months?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spamcola
Yeah, they're pretty much unknowns. Asia is only recognized by genre fans. I had to search Baker's name in the IMDB to figure out who he was.

I think if the movie were released in October it would probably have a better chance of staying in the box office top 10 longer. Now it'll probably sink in a week.
also, isn't Baker just in a cameo roll and not as the star or apart of the big main cast?
Old 04-13-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, Baker is the lead male character, I believe.
Old 04-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,563 Posts
As long as Romero isn't rushed to finish it, it's probably a good idea. A genre film like this will do better on DVD than theatrical. Universal knows this, and would rather have the DVD release timed for Halloween. Wow, time goes fast. Last August, I remember hearing George talk about getting ready to make the film (saw him at a horror convention) and now its coming out in two months.
Old 04-13-05, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "stars" were always the zombies anyway... Doesn't matter who gets eaten.
Old 04-13-05, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

It might not make as much money as it could have in October, but I still doubt it will flop. The production and advertising budgets put together won't top $30 million. And even Shaun of the Dead managed to eek out $13.5 million in it's US theatrical run. Plus, I imagine the overseas markets will really take to it. In fact, that seemed to be one of the things the people from the production company funding the movie really seemed to focus on. Then there's the "uncensored" DVD that, for once, will actually mean something. I have no worries about the movie putting up good numbers, I just hope it turns into more real jobs for Romero.
Old 04-13-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If this flops and turns out terrible, will you all shut the eff up about Romero being so damn brilliant? Or will you guys just blame it all on him being rushed and the stupid studio screwing up the release date and not marketing it enough?

Old 04-13-05, 02:16 PM
Suspended

I think they want to release 4 months early ,so then they can release the dvd in Oct. for Halloween.
^Real talk right there, thread over.

IMO I don't see this moving doing that well, with the barrage of huge movies coming out this summer, this movie is definitely going to get lost in the shuffle all the talk this summer is going to be about Batman, Willy Wonka and War of the Worlds not some zombie movie, sorry guys. I am a fan of Romero as the next zombie/horror guy is but with that much heat this summer, its not going to do well and the studio knows that. Thats why they can release it, make all the $$$ they can, and then get a DVD ready for Halloween, where the real profits will come in. Its allll about money, the studio doesn't give an eff about Romero ,zombies or anything, all they care about is how much money they are going to take in on this.
Old 04-13-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
Since I doubt that I'll see this in the theater, I'm pretty happy that it's being released earlier than expected. This means that I'll very likely have the DVD in my grubby little manos right around Halloween, which is when I'd prefer to see this movie.

Hooray for me!
Same here. Hooray for me too!
Old 04-13-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts
I see this making $60-$80mil in it's theatrical run.
Old 04-13-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I'd take that bet. There's no way it will make that much money. Not even close.

If they released it in October or February or sometime with no competition, it might (MIGHT) make 50% of that.

In June? Divide by 10.
Old 04-13-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well if we are doing the money game, I bet it'll make 30 million theatrically. If it is marketed well enough, it should make that no problem.
Old 04-13-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by bboisvert

If they released it in October or February or sometime with no competition, it might (MIGHT) make 50% of that.

In June? Divide by 10.

I'd also be willing to take that bet. It may do 19-27 million opening weekend, but summer films have the lifespan of a house fly. The following week it will be knocked down to third place if it's lucky. Not because it's a bad movie or anything, but that's the dynamics of films during summer.
Old 04-13-05, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert

In June? Divide by 10.

I disagree.

Everybody seems to think this film would have it so easy in October.

This October, DEAD would have to compete with SAW 2 and THE FOG to find an audience. In June, it's the only horror film around, save for HIGH TENSION on the 3rd, and nobody knows what Lions Gate has up their sleeve for that movie just yet.

And in October, it would have a much shorter time to capitalize on the "Halloween" angle. Summer has weeks of playability if the public is interested, and there's much more instant money to be had.

Universal is doing the right thing.
Old 04-13-05, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
but summer films have the lifespan of a house fly.
A house fly can live for a month. It's usually a good thing when films can rack up numbers for that long.

Last edited by scott shelton; 04-13-05 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hee, then my bad. a regular fly than. fuck those house flys. they're bastards anyways.

the point is this will be a one weekend block buster. the following week will see it drop off the typical 50-60% and the amount it makes will be no where near the 60 to 80 million.

at most in the 50 range for theater run. This will shine in DVD sales.
Old 04-14-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm, most of what is being said could also apply to the dawn remake, i think. as i forget when that came out. ignoreing that, we could project that who would go see a "obscure" remake of a zombie movie. there are zombie diehards, which i am, that will go see it, but perhaps anti remake people would wait for dvd. anyway, i think the push came good reviews and word of mouth. now in this situation, we have the grandfather of the zombie genre as we know it, with an original movie, "hot on the heels" of a successful remake.

it should do very well it's opening week which will get romero/zombie fans in, but after that it's gonna need the intrinsic value of the money itself. romero might be unkown to the mainstream crowd, but no way these people have never heard of night of the living dead, dawn of the dead and day of the dead. as long as the trailers pay lip service, it'll do romero's legacy just fine.

basiclly, genre fans will (should) see it no matter what, anything beyond that relies on how good the movie is and how that is communicated.
Old 04-14-05, 10:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, 2005 looks like a bumper crop of horror films - some good, some bad (hopefully more of the former).
Old 04-14-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"House of Wax" also opens in the Summer. I'm sure we'll see it on dvd around Halloween as well.
Old 04-14-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,563 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
I would be extremely surprised if that happened. It will be more like a Kevin Smith movie (business-wise, that is): maybe make $20-30 million theatrically, but do brisk sales on DVD. I'm sure that Universal is thinking the same thing, that's why the Halloween release (these days for some films, studios see the DVD release as their main bread and butter and almost treat the theatrical release as a promotional tool for the DVD)
Old 04-14-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like the trailer will be in front of XXX: State of the Union. And should premiere online sometime that week.

http://zombiearmy.deadmovies.com/zombiearmy/
Old 04-14-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
My guess is it will make $22 million theatrically.
Old 04-14-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Asia Argento? My Scarlet Diva DVD is getting a little worn out.
Old 04-14-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trigger
If this flops and turns out terrible, will you all shut the eff up about Romero being so damn brilliant? Or will you guys just blame it all on him being rushed and the stupid studio screwing up the release date and not marketing it enough?

Its never his fault.
Old 04-15-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Being rushed how? Didn't principal photography end in October?
Old 04-15-05, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, I don't know - I'm just thinking of possible excuses Romero fans would try to make to excuse the suckyness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.