Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Downfall

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Overall, I'm most impressed that they were able to do something that I thought impossible, they told a story about World War II that hasn't been told before.
There are tons of stories about World War II that haven't been told before. Albeit, on a more smaller level than a Hitler biopic.
Old 08-24-05, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Nah, I just never really knew what he was like and figured most of the stuff I had heard was being exaggerated.
I understand. Its very easy to overlook the fact that he had 7 million people executed in about 5 years time. And all of that stuff about being the superior race too. I mean really, there are over 6 billion people in the world. He didn't even get 1 % of them. He did get 2/3 of all jews in Europe but who is counting.
Old 08-24-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was disappointed. I felt like the majority of the supporting cast was there for no reason and like a previous poster said the last hour or so dragged. I'd say it changed my image of Eva Braun but I never really had any image of her.

I have a problem with movies where Nazis are the main characters. When I saw All Quiet on the Western Front in class back in the day, I would giggle and cheer when these kids were getting mowed down, while I was surrounded by the soft sobs of the goyim. The characters in Downfall, willing participants in the Third Reich, I felt even less pity for.
Old 05-17-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Downfall

I finally got around to watching this - excellent film.

The lead actress, Alexandra Maria Lara, is stunning.
Old 05-17-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have this right now from Netflix. Probably try and watch it today.
Old 05-17-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
... I have a problem with movies where Nazis are the main characters. When I saw All Quiet on the Western Front in class back in the day, I would giggle and cheer when these kids were getting mowed down, while I was surrounded by the soft sobs of the goyim. The characters in Downfall, willing participants in the Third Reich, I felt even less pity for.
All Quiet on the Western Front (an anti-war film, btw) was about WW I, and while the Germans were the historical "bad guys," it was a completely different conflict and a number of German Jews served their country in it.

I understand your reaction, but it sounds like you may have an issue with the German people rather than the Nazis.
Old 05-24-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I finally watched this. It usually takes a lot for me to get into a subtitled movie, but this was excellent.

Highly recommended for anyone with even a passing interest in world war 2 or history in general. Great sunday afternoon movie.
Old 07-12-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bruno Ganz dead at 77

Amazon is streaming Downfall.
This is the 2:35 version, not the Extended version.

It looks like a new scan.
IMO, it's too bright and I had to make an adj. before satisfied.
Also noticed a little bit of EE, but I reduced Sharpness a bit and it was fine too.

The original BD showed a heavy amount of grain.
This is not the case with this version...it's remarkable clean.
Detail level is about the same, in spite of some probable DNR.
Anyway, the presentation is pretty good and should satisfy anyone.

Some great performances throughout.
Ganz's Hitler may never be topped.
He captures the dual nature of Hitler perfectly.

Downfall was originally made for German TV audiences, who are already familiar with the cast of characters who surrounded Hitler.
It does help to know the history of the Nazi party.
To get a good understanding of the historical characters involved (which may be unclear to those watching the film), NF has a 10 part docudrama called "Hitler's Circle of Evil" I watched and can Recommend.
It shows the entire history of the Nazi Party and is very helpful when watching Downfall.