Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from seeing Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. My daughter said she thought it was "every bit as good as the original", but I was not that thrilled. Sandra Bullock did a good job with what she had to work with, but the plot was was very lame. Ms. Bullock did a good job with her trips and stumbles and made me laugh at loud several times with her seemingly seamless comedic timing.

Poor William Shatner is begining to make me uncomfortable he's so bloated and cartoonish. His makeup job didn't help either.

The character that stole the movie though was FBI Agent Sam Fuller playged by Regina King (the girl from 227). At first she's a tad hard to take, but she grows on you and she's a shining beacon in the sea of predictable other characters. Heather Burns who plays Cheryl Frasier, Miss America wasn't nearly as endearing as she was as Cheryl Frasier, Miss Rhode Island. She could of just phoned her role in.

It wasn't the worse #2 I've ever seen and frankly I didn't think it would be the better, but I'm a Sandra Bullock fan and again I say she did a good job with what she had to work with. Last week I watched her in Murder By Numbers and thought she was excellent playing straight drama and that plot held my attention from beginning to end.
Old 03-24-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How was the lesbian DA as the bad guy? I know many hate her.

As for this movie, I plan to watch it on DVD. What can I say, the first movie is a fun guility pleasure type of movie. I'm sure this can't be all that awful, as Bullock is really the draw. She's just rather fun to watch in whatever she's doing. Well, she couldn't save the cruise ship movie, but the rest I can generally watch.
Old 03-24-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first one wasn't exactly critically acclaimed, so I'd wager that those who enjoyed the original will like the sequel.
Old 03-25-05, 12:06 AM

I like Elisabeth Röhm

Originally Posted by jaeufraser

As for this movie, I plan to watch it on DVD. What can I say, the first movie is a fun guility pleasure type of movie. I'm sure this can't be all that awful, as Bullock is really the draw. She's just rather fun to watch in whatever she's doing. Well, she couldn't save the cruise ship movie, but the rest I can generally watch.

Elisabeth Röhm was solid as always. She's fine actress IMHO and I was sorry to see her leave L&O. (The new gal will take some getting used to, but that show has gone through a LOT of gals and always seems to survive. The one I can't abide is Diane Neal (oink, oink) on L&O SVU. If they hadn't of toned her b*tch dial down I'd of quit watching the show...as it is, I think she stinks).

I doubt the 2nd one will bring in the $300 million the first one did, but there are scads of folks like me that went because I enjoyed the first one and saw Ms. Bullock on Letterman and she was charming as ever and perked my interest. I also had some credit left on my AMC movie card that one of my kiddos gave me for Christmas and this seemed like a good way to spend some of it. Lots of us Senior Discounters will go too because we know it's not going to feature blood and gore and we won't leave the theater feeling like we need a bath or a purge.....

Oh and before I forget.....the whole "lesbian thing" was st00pid teevee. It served no useful purpose other than to make the water cooler crowd scratch whatever itched the most and chant "what lesbian? who said she was a lesbian?" I thought she'd slept with what's-his-name with the eyebrows? Don't all the DAs supposedly sleep with him?? (Oh, yeah, HoustonDon I know some gals swing in 3 or 4 different directions....you don't have to draw me a diagram)... Anyway all I could figure was the writer must of gotten hold of come bad (drug of choice) that day.....
Old 03-25-05, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have'nt seen the original yet,but was wondering something about the sequel.

How much screentime does the drag queen portion take up?

The reason I am wondering is,the hot Britney Valentine has some sort of role in the film,mostly as background/extra for the drag portion(along with some other drag queens). She reported about it on her website with some photos that peaked my interest.

www.britneyvalentine.com

I'd love too see her in action,but if it's a wasted barely noticeable scene/line. It would'nt be worth it.

Similar thing happened with Too Wong Foo,some cool queens had bit roles in the drag pagent near the begining of the film. Yet they barely got 1 second worth of screentime,which made it irritating and disappointing when you look forward to seeing them onscreen.
Old 03-25-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I have'nt seen the original yet,but was wondering something about the sequel.

How much screentime does the drag queen portion take up?

The reason I am wondering is,the hot Britney Valentine has some sort of role in the film,mostly as background/extra for the drag portion(along with some other drag queens). She reported about it on her website with some photos that peaked my interest.

www.britneyvalentine.com
Frankly I didn't notice her. The drag stuff was very, very good though. The only odd thing was that so much garnish make-up was applied to Ms. Bullock that she almost looked like a man playing a woman instead of a woman playing a man playing a woman. Phew, that's confusing.... Since you'd be on the look-out for the background players, you'd probably see them more than I did... I think my whole bottom line on the movie is that I didn't mind spending the admission dough, but I'd never buy the DVD. The first one was the best.
Old 03-25-05, 09:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
A handfull of reviews from MetaCritic:

Entertainment Weekly Lisa Schwarzbaum
Isn't exactly good - like "Legally Blonde 2," it's a more exaggerated, less buoyant sequel to what should have been a one-off comedy - but it's enjoyable.

Variety Robert Koehler
Lame and inoffensive.

Chicago Sun-Times Roger Ebert
It's unnecessary in the sense that there is no good reason to go and actually see it.

Los Angeles Times Kevin Thomas
As awful as the original was inspired.

Wall Street Journal Joe Morgenstern
Must be seen to be believed, though I'm not suggesting you actually see it.

Yikes!
Old 03-25-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geofferson

Isn't exactly good - like "Legally Blonde 2," it's a more exaggerated, less buoyant sequel to what should have been a one-off comedy - but it's enjoyable.

Variety Robert Koehler
Lame and inoffensive.

It's unnecessary in the sense that there is no good reason to go and actually see it.

Yikes!
wow....
Old 03-25-05, 10:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Lesbian DA???

Maybe I missed that one... I don't remember a lesbian character, outside of Regina King, but that's not addressed.
Old 03-25-05, 10:53 AM

JoBlo - 3/10

"yet another unambitious Hollywood fluffpiece born out of greed, sloth and safety nets. This film gets an “F” for Fuck Me!"

Review

Filmjerk - D-

"This sequel is dreadful in just about every way imaginable; its main focus is to routinely prove a nagging, egotistical point: Sandra Bullock finds herself hilarious."

Review
Old 03-25-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
Elisabeth Röhm was solid as always.

Oy. Guess the Rohmbot had the same processor in place for this.
Old 03-25-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Rohm was monotone in this just like she is monotone in everything else she has ever done.

Yes, my wife dragged me to this yesterday - all I can say is that it was better than Legally Blonde 2.
Old 03-25-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Lesbian DA???

Maybe I missed that one... I don't remember a lesbian character, outside of Regina King, but that's not addressed.
He meant that she played a lesbian DA on L&O, not this movie.

I really enjoyed the first one, but I'm not really hot to see this. As with most comedy sequels, I'm sure that whatever was funny in the first movie was beaten to death in the second.
Old 03-25-05, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
He meant that she played a lesbian DA on L&O, not this movie.
I see.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-05, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
Last week I watched her in Murder By Numbers and thought she was excellent playing straight drama and that plot held my attention from beginning to end.

Oh, so you were the ONE.
Old 03-25-05, 03:57 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson

Variety Robert Koehler
Lame and inoffensive.

Yikes!
You forgot...

DVD Talk Texasgingersnap
It wasn't the worst #2 I've ever seen!
Old 03-25-05, 04:25 PM

And I'm here to tell you I've had seen some pretty gross #2's in my time....
Old 03-25-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was a decent screwball comedy that evoked a lot of laughter from the afternoon crowd I was with at the theater today. I laughed alot, and Sandra Bulloch definitely doesn't take herself too seriously, which added to the laughs and likeability.

Not the greatest film ever, but for a couple of hours, it's fluffy entertainment.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.
Old 03-25-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I really enjoyed the first one, but I'm not really hot to see this. As with most comedy sequels, I'm sure that whatever was funny in the first movie was beaten to death in the second.
My feelings exactly.
Old 03-26-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure I can wait till the DVD release. Gotta see it for the Bullock hotness factor at some point.
Old 03-26-05, 08:28 PM

I enjoyed this movie a lot. No, it's not Oscar-worthy, but what do you expect? It was fun and well worth the price of admission, especially if you like Sandra Bullock. Extra enjoyability factor if you've ever stayed at Treasure Island in Las Vegas.
Old 03-26-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
To steal a review of another film:

"The worst 6 hours of my life:
1 hour to drive to the theater...
2 hours to see the film...
3 hours wondering why the hell I wasted the last two hours!"
Old 03-26-05, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jetflair
I enjoyed this movie a lot. No, it's not Oscar-worthy, but what do you expect?
Who said it had to be Oscar worthy?

I just wanted something funny, and for Bullock to calm the fuck down and remember how to act in a comedy.
Old 03-27-05, 12:16 AM

I hate that other leading actress... she is so damn annoying
Old 03-27-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But her punch into Regis's groin was almost worth the price of admission.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.