Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RING TWO review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RING TWO review thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 11:06 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
If American audiences didn't prefer their films dumbed down, there would be no need to produce dumbed down remakes of foreign films in the first place.
Ouch.

Well, this of course is subjective because I've heard in many critical circles that THE RING was an improvement upon RINGU, so the argument that a remake is by default a lesser entity than the original upon which it is based is not an axiom. In regards to THE RING TWO vs. RINGU 2, such a comparison wouldn't be fair, since they don't derive from the same story.
Old 03-21-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this of course is subjective because I've heard in many critical circles that THE RING was an improvement upon RINGU, so the argument that a remake is by default a lesser entity than the original upon which it is based is not an axiom.
Anybody who believes Ring(u) was a lesser film than The Ring is an idiot. The only improvement that The Ring had was a bigger budget. Ring(u) is a much better film when it comes to telling a ghost story (because it does it [somewhat] right).
Old 03-21-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I disagree.
You'll have to forgive me, I don't mean to be insulting, but I can only take the critical skills of someone who says, "It's almost a remake of the first (US) film", but then turns around and comments, "All the "Seven Days" VHS tape stuff is gone for the most part. This is a possession story" and "Nakata kinda does away with the first film's ridiculous reliance on cheap scares" only so far. Which is it? And, really, you thought a RING sequel could be made without the well featuring strongly in the storyline?
Old 03-21-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Anybody who believes Ring(u) was a lesser film than The Ring is an idiot.
Well that's a lovely fascist thought...thank you for that...
Old 03-21-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad some people were able to enjoy it, I really wanted to like it.
I agree that it was nice to have it look/feel the same, the style/cast continuity had potential to deliver a good flick. Even the opening 20 mins or so was great, having the tape resurface. I also think that the short film 'Rings' that was packed w/ the re-released dvd was an awesome little piece: starting Ring Two with the conclusion of it was a cool experience.
They set up a lot of neat things w/ that short that I think could have served as elements for a better film, even if it wouold be a rehash of the first to some extent.

I still can't tell anyone what the heck it was about, other than to tell them avoid it. Hope they wont consider a 3rd.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the deer attack? Those were some massive bucks- the whole audience was laughing through that entire scene once the first impact scared everyone. They did show horns later in the basement....but I don't understand what signifigance that had. Maybe its just supposed to be a mystery....but it was still a massive WTF? moment.
Old 03-21-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assumed it was just that the deer sensed the evil Samara in the little boy, kind of obvious. It looks like they tried to mimic the wow factor of the horse scenes from the first film but those had a basis in the film and then they went and had like a hundred deer antlers in the basement and maybe that was supposed to signify something with deers in her past? Who knows, just another puzzle in this turd.
Old 03-21-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I figured they could feel the evil and wanted to take him out, but it was just so random and never amounted to anything, like the movie itself.
Old 03-21-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i am in no mood to watch this after everyone called it a pile of crap....

can someone please tell me the ending
Old 03-21-05, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
You'll have to forgive me, I don't mean to be insulting, but I can only take the critical skills of someone who says, "It's almost a remake of the first (US) film", but then turns around and comments, [i]"All the "Seven Days" VHS tape stuff is gone for the most part...blahblahblah
Of course you mean to be insulting.

In terms of set-pieces, yes, the film IS virtually a remake of the first movie. How was I wrong there?

The tape stuff IS gone, but we have another cold opening with the tape, animal attack, and well climax.

Now where did I see that before...

And, really, you thought a RING sequel could be made without the well featuring strongly in the storyline?

Without the well, maybe not - though they could've tried. But another climax of Watts IN the well? That's rehash, and not even inventive rehash.

More clarification needed?
Old 03-21-05, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706
can someone please tell me the ending
Aragorn says "The Ring bows for no one"...
Old 03-21-05, 01:22 PM
Banned

Of course you mean to be insulting.
I assure you I didn't; if I say your mama dresses you funny, I'm insulting you; if I accuse you of being inconsistent in your criticisms of this film, and actually indicate critical statements made by you that don't align, then I'm calling a spade a spade.

Without the well, maybe not - though they could've tried. But another climax of Watts IN the well? That's rehash, and not even inventive rehash.
Boy, you must have really loathed RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Old 03-21-05, 01:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I assure you I didn't; if I say your mama dresses you funny, I'm insulting you; if I accuse you of being inconsistent in your criticisms of this film, and actually indicate critical statements made by you that don't align, then I'm calling a spade a spade.
And I just clarified my points earlier, which align just fine, you just don't like them. I guess I proved my point since you have nothing to say about that. Thanks for not resisting.

And my mom DID dress me funny, but at least she would have the sense to not put another fucking animal attack into a RING sequel.

Boy, you must have really loathed RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Start a thread about that, and we'll talk.
Old 03-21-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
Ouch.

Well, this of course is subjective because I've heard in many critical circles that THE RING was an improvement upon RINGU, so the argument that a remake is by default a lesser entity than the original upon which it is based is not an axiom.
It's true 99% of the time. Regardless, believing THE RING to be inferior or superior to RINGU is immaterial to the point I'm making. It's still dumbed down in terms of the complexity of the story and not nearly as open-ended as the original.
Old 03-21-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

come on.... tell me the ending to this dreadful movie
Old 03-21-05, 02:15 PM
Banned

And I just clarified my points earlier, which align just fine, you just don't like them.
You made your points of clarification after accusing me of insulting you--let's get the timeline straight, Captain Hostile.

And my mom DID dress me funny, but at least she would have the sense to not put another fucking animal attack into a RING sequel.
You wouldn't have preferred her sensibilites to be the reverse?
Old 03-21-05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eXcentris
It's true 99% of the time. Regardless, believing THE RING to be inferior or superior to RINGU is immaterial to the point I'm making. It's still dumbed down in terms of the complexity of the story and not nearly as open-ended as the original.
Fair enough--I haven't seen RINGU so I can't comment; however, since the man responsible for bring RINGU and its sequel to fruition not only doesn't seem to have a problem with the American remake but, in fact, was willing to make its sequel while adhering to the style of the first film, why should I? In any case, even if I concede that THE RING and THE RING TWO are dumbed down vs. their Japanese counterparts, they're still Einsteinian dissertations compared with 95% of what Hollywood dumps on us.
Old 03-21-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
Fair enough--I haven't seen RINGU so I can't comment; however, since the man responsible for bring RINGU and its sequel to fruition not only doesn't seem to have a problem with the American remake but, in fact, was willing to make its sequel while adhering to the style of the first film, why should I? In any case, even if I concede that THE RING and THE RING TWO are dumbed down vs. their Japanese counterparts, they're still Einsteinian dissertations compared with 95% of what Hollywood dumps on us.
Can't comment because I don't know how Einstein felt about subtitles and not having American stars in his movies.
Old 03-21-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raven56706
come on.... tell me the ending to this dreadful movie

**SPOILERS**

The mother comes to find out that Samara was adopted and figures out the real mother is in an insane asylum because she tried to drown Samara as a baby... she goes to the asylum and discovers the mother is actually Michael Jackson (played by Sissy Spaseck). Sissy tells her that she needs to kill her child to save it. So she goes back home to discover that her child has killed her co-worker somehow (they never show us) and goes inside to try and get her kid to fall asleep. He refuses so she puts some drugs in a PB&J which the kid gobbles up in an annoying way. He falls asleep moments later and she takes him up to a bathtub already full of water and slowly puts him in. She holds him under and samara's hands come out and grab her arms... then samara turns into a water ghost and floats above the tub and says "mommy" or something and then disappears. Pan down to the bathtub which now has no water in it, just the kid... she pulls the kid out and holds him asking him to wake up - no surprise she didn't try CPR since it's clear from the rest of the film that she's a complete fucking idiot not to mention a bad mother (and bad actress for that matter). Regardless, the kid wakes up unharmed and not posessed anymore. They both go downstairs and now the TV is on showing the well again. She says something like "this isn't gonna be over until she gets what she wants... a mother." Meanwhile, samara is coming towards the tv like the end of the first... as she's coming out, the mother grabs her hands and is sucked into the tv. She finds herself at the bottom of the well and looks up... this is where she notices the lid to the well is open a crack - showing a half-moon of light. She comes to the conclusion that this is how Samara has been getting out of the well she exhumed her corpse from in the first yet she still haunts apparently. So she becomes an expert rock climber and climbs out without a rope up the sidewall. Samara rises out of the water below and starts to walk up the side in an extra creepy way which just looked silly - like they were trying too hard. As she gets to the top, samara of course grabs her ankle... a couple kicks and samara falls to the bottom again. And it takes the mother long enough to pull the bottom half of her body out of the well for Samara to make the trip back up the side again so she can get to the top just in time to almost make it... Samara calls her mommy and the mother takes the opportunity to drop the F-bomb for the sole purpose of turning this crapfest bloodless PG movie into a PG-13 to put asses in the seats - "I'm not your fucking mommy!"... then the mother shoves the 500 pound concrete/rock lid closed. She starts walking around and we're reminded she's still in tv-land... she wanders through this foggy forest or something and comes upon a cliff where she sees that same scene where Samara's step-mother throws herself off of and subsequently follows in her footsteps. In doing so, she is returned to reality into the arms of her child. The camera pans outside the house and they show a fuzzy tv effect along with that ring shape to indicate a possible sequel. Then you roll your eyes and get up and go outside cursing the filmmakers and wishing you could have your 8 bucks back.

**SPOILERS**
Old 03-21-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
**SPOILERS**

The mother comes to find out that Samara was adopted and figures out the real mother is in an insane asylum because she tried to drown Samara as a baby... she goes to the asylum and discovers the mother is actually Michael Jackson (played by Sissy Spaseck). Sissy tells her that she needs to kill her child to save it. So she goes back home to discover that her child has killed her co-worker somehow (they never show us) and goes inside to try and get her kid to fall asleep. He refuses so she puts some drugs in a PB&J which the kid gobbles up in an annoying way. He falls asleep moments later and she takes him up to a bathtub already full of water and slowly puts him in. She holds him under and samara's hands come out and grab her arms... then samara turns into a water ghost and floats above the tub and says "mommy" or something and then disappears. Pan down to the bathtub which now has no water in it, just the kid... she pulls the kid out and holds him asking him to wake up - no surprise she didn't try CPR since it's clear from the rest of the film that she's a complete fucking idiot not to mention a bad mother (and bad actress for that matter). Regardless, the kid wakes up unharmed and not posessed anymore. They both go downstairs and now the TV is on showing the well again. She says something like "this isn't gonna be over until she gets what she wants... a mother." Meanwhile, samara is coming towards the tv like the end of the first... as she's coming out, the mother grabs her hands and is sucked into the tv. She finds herself at the bottom of the well and looks up... this is where she notices the lid to the well is open a crack - showing a half-moon of light. She comes to the conclusion that this is how Samara has been getting out of the well she exhumed her corpse from in the first yet she still haunts apparently. So she becomes an expert rock climber and climbs out without a rope up the sidewall. Samara rises out of the water below and starts to walk up the side in an extra creepy way which just looked silly - like they were trying too hard. As she gets to the top, samara of course grabs her ankle... a couple kicks and samara falls to the bottom again. And it takes the mother long enough to pull the bottom half of her body out of the well for Samara to make the trip back up the side again so she can get to the top just in time to almost make it... Samara calls her mommy and the mother takes the opportunity to drop the F-bomb for the sole purpose of turning this crapfest bloodless PG movie into a PG-13 to put asses in the seats - "I'm not your fucking mommy!"... then the mother shoves the 500 pound concrete/rock lid closed. She starts walking around and we're reminded she's still in tv-land... she wanders through this foggy forest or something and comes upon a cliff where she sees that same scene where Samara's step-mother throws herself off of and subsequently follows in her footsteps. In doing so, she is returned to reality into the arms of her child. The camera pans outside the house and they show a fuzzy tv effect along with that ring shape to indicate a possible sequel. Then you roll your eyes and get up and go outside cursing the filmmakers and wishing you could have your 8 bucks back.

**SPOILERS**

........that has got to be the best movie ever told by a dvdtalker
Old 03-21-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough--I haven't seen RINGU so I can't comment; however, since the man responsible for bring RINGU and its sequel to fruition not only doesn't seem to have a problem with the American remake but, in fact, was willing to make its sequel while adhering to the style of the first film, why should I?
And you know what...

THEY SHOULD'VE BASED THE FUCKING SEQUEL OFF THE SEQUEL TO RINGU.

At least that sequel was somewhat original.
Old 03-21-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ring 2 was kinda dumb, but at least it was effective in the scare and creepy department. The Ring Two was really dumb and not cohesive and they kept showing things that they never paid off and it wasn't the least bit effective in the scare or creep department... Although I did laugh quite a bit.
Old 03-21-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so, after seeing this dreadful piece of dreck...i'm left wondering...

Was Gore Verbinski ever offered the chance to direct this film or did he just turn it down??
Old 03-21-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ring 2 was kinda dumb, but at least it was effective in the scare and creepy department. The Ring Two was really dumb and not cohesive and they kept showing things that they never paid off and it wasn't the least bit effective in the scare or creep department... Although I did laugh quite a bit.
The problem is, if they were to remake the original sequel, I don't think Miss Watts would settle for a supporting role.
Old 03-21-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone with half a brain would run away screaming from this script... unless you've never directed anything but herpes commercials or unless English isn't your first language or even one of your languages.
Old 03-21-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The problem is, if they were to remake the original sequel, I don't think Miss Watts would settle for a supporting role.
or being hit by a bus...

And actually - the original sequel was Rasen iirc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.