Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Filmmakers remembering movies incorrectly...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Filmmakers remembering movies incorrectly...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 12:14 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 916 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
I get really bothered when George Lucas mispronounces names of Star Wars characters. He calls Qui-Gon "Kwee-Gohn." He calls Boba Fett "Bahba Fett." Jabba is "Jah-buh." If he wants them pronounced that way, why aren't they pronounced like that in the films?
just wait for the re-releases...they'll sound the way George always wanted them to.
Old 06-03-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom got so pissed when Coppola messed up the famous "Leave the gun, take the ...." line on the commentary for GF1.
Old 06-03-06, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's embarrassing when old stars who have been out of the business for years or are simply too senile to remember much about their work are asked to do commentaries for TV shows and movies. Mickey Rooney on "The Twilight Zone," Buddy Hackett on "The Love Bug" and poor Jimmy Stewart on "Winchester '73" come to mind.

Doesn't anyone even bother to see if they have any idea what they'd be talking about before just signing the consent form? I mean, I understand this isn't voir dire of a jury, and that many commentary participants aren't paid for their time.

But when Mickey Rooney's entire commentary for an episode of "The Twilight Zone" consists of him screaming "I DON'T REMEMBER! IT WAS TOO LONG AGO!" some extra consideration needs to be given--either for preparing the participant beforehand or scrapping the commentary track altogether if it's that useless. But hey, I guess I'm asking too much for anyone in the entertainment industry to gauge insight.
Old 06-03-06, 08:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
It's embarrassing when old stars who have been out of the business for years or are simply too senile to remember much about their work are asked to do commentaries for TV shows and movies.
there's a flipside to that... In January, I produced and edited the bonus features and commentaries for the new The Longest Day SE DVD. at age 91, Ken Annakin is the only surviving director of the film. his interview and commentary proved that even at his age he's retained a sharp mind for details and shared a lot of great anecdotes. the only stuff he couldn't comment on or got confused over were the scenes he didn't direct.
Old 06-04-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
George Lucas could suffer from verbal dyslexia.
Old 06-04-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,525 Likes on 2,246 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I've seen and read several interviews with different actors and actresses who claim they've never seen some of the movies they've starred in. And we're not talking about rare indie cameos, we're talking big mainstream movies they were the leads in. Maybe they're just bluffing so they don't have to give an honest opinion on how bad the movie was, but who knows...
I remember hearing James Garner say that about all his films. I think he said it embarrassed him to see himself onscreen. I guess I can understand that.

Of course, if I were a movie star, half the ticket sales would be from me alone.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-04-06 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-30-09, 02:54 AM

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Re: Filmmakers remembering movies incorrectly...

I think I found a new one. On the Simpsons season eleven commentary of the episode when Marge breaks her leg at the ski lodge, there's a background character who looks a LOT like writer/producer Matt Selman. However, someone on the commentary goes, "Wait a second, is that me?" and everyone agrees. Then Selman walks in the room a few minutes late into the episode. So either the character isn't Selman and the unknown voice and those who agreed are correct or it is Selman and he wasn't there to point it out.