Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rise and Fall of 2D Animation!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Rise and Fall of 2D Animation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmio
I think right now 3D is the "it" thing. It's new. It wows people and it makes it a little eaiser for some people to relate to. I don't think 2D is dead, it's just letting it's younger brother get a little bit of the limelight for a while. In time we'll see some more 2D films. I don't think they will ever be back as big as they were in the early 90's, but they will return. Disney is not the only company to halt 2D production, I believe Dreamworks followed suit as well.

It's not really about the medium, it's the story. Story is key. This is something that I think Pixar has that none of the other companies have right now. The know the difference between telling a story and whoring out a new medium in order to cash in as much and as quickly as possible <cough> Dreamworks <cough>. Pixar doesn't parade their voice actor's names as the reason to see the movie.

Disney used to be all about story, but they have kind of lost their way a bit. I personally think they should go back to quasi-musical films like the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast. They can comeback I think...boot Eisner first though..
I agree - story is key. Without a good story, even cgi won't make it (well...there are exceptions like shark tale, but that's another story).

Disney used to be all about a great story with memorable characters, technological innovation to assist in the storytelling (multiplane camera with Sleeping Beauty, xerographic technique with 101 Dalmatians, deep canvas with Tarzan, etc.) and a strong vision regarding the "look" of films (bambi, sleeping beauty, 101 dalmatians, hercules, beauty and the beast, lilo and stitch...etc.). But at the center of it all - a great story. A fairy tale. A human interest story. Something. And when they fell flat (fox and the hound, black caulron, for example) the animation business declined. When they returned to a concept of a great story with memorable characters and a strong musical background (Little Mermaid) there was a renaissance in the animation business. These days Pixar is the only company that really "gets it" - and they happen to be cgi. CGI is new and exciting, and people were ready for it.

But it's all cyclical, and I have no doubt that traditional animation will eventually fall back into favor with audiences. For some of us, it never left.
Old 03-02-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disney is making their own computer animation department and will be working on toy story 3 by themselves. this should answer your question.
Just like the time when Disney made their own computer animated department to create the film Dinosaur, but that film tanked, so the entire department went fucking under? Like that?
Old 03-02-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only problem is they are putting all their eggs into one basket. They started cutting back on their animation department, cleaned out the florida aspect of it

It's not a smart move, but has disney really been doing the "smart" thing lately?
Old 03-03-05, 12:05 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Jackskeleton]Only problem is they are putting all their eggs into one basket. They started cutting back on their animation department, cleaned out the florida aspect of it

It's not a smart move, but has disney really been doing the "smart" thing lately?[/QUO

NO!
Old 03-03-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
I thought I read somewhere that King of the Hill was the last hand-animated show... I think the Simpsons is done on computers these days... I know it's color filled that way at least.
KOTH was the last hold out.

Rich Hank Poor Hank aired in Jan 2004. This was the last King of the Hill episode to use traditional cel animation. From this point on, the show remains hand-drawn but all painting and coloring is done digitally. King of the Hill was the last animated show to go digital (The Simpsons, the other holdout, went digital the year before).
Old 03-03-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not really about the medium, it's the story. Story is key.
Normally, I'd agree with you. But when a film like Shark Tale makes 160 million, it says something about CG animated films being the hot thing right now. Because Shark Tale was pretty damn bad. If it's all about story, then bad CG animated films wouldn't make any coin.