Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halo: The Movie

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest from AICN .

"The reality here at Bungie towers is a feeling of optimism, satisfaction and happiness for reasons we can't go into. Frankly we're interested in making the best movie, and it's possible that a partner who's more concerned with numbers, might not be the best partner for what's more vitally a creative process," said Frank O'Connor from BUNGIE out of today's Hollywood Reporter
Old 10-31-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Halo has been halted courtesy of comingsoon.net.
Old 10-31-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep. Halo production has been stopped.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/061031m.php
Old 11-01-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
can't wait.
Old 11-01-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait? You're gonna have to. Movie has been shut down for the time being.
Old 11-01-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess they realized that Uwe Bol could be brought on, so they decided to put it on hold for him to get ready to jump on board.
Old 03-27-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Halo Movie in 2008

Its official, or at least it is on IMDB. The Halo movie will be coming in 2008. Whats that mean in the big picture? Not a whole lot. No studio attached, no director, ( althought one is rumored ) and I have no idea what the script status is.

A few months back An exec from Microsoft sat down with MTV to talk about the XBOX and a bunch of other topics but the one we care most about is his discussion of the Halo movie and just frankly re-enforcing the fact the movie is nowhere near becoming a reality now.

What he would confirm about Jackson is that the "Halo" movie the filmmaker is signed on to produce won't be happening any time soon. In the last few weeks the studios financing the film backed out, and Jackson said the project would be on ice until new funding came in. "While we have no deals to announce, everyone in Hollywood is looking at it," Moore said, adding that "several studios" have gone to Wellington to check out the work that's already been done. Gamers will just have to wait. "For the magnitude of what the script is — I've read the screenplay — and what we need to do to uphold the 'Halo' universe for its legion of fans in the way they want to see a movie being made, no, it won't be next year."

So yes kids, its safe to say that after hearing it from everyone you could possibly hear it from, HALO is dead.

MOVIESONLINE.ca
Old 10-05-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halo: The Movie is officially dead, according to the movie's director.

From JoBlo.com:

Yeah, we've been hearing this for a while, but we all arbored a secret hope that it might be wrong. But alas, Neil Blomkamp has pretty much confirmed that the HALO movie is dead. The big screen adaptation of the insanely popular XBox title looked to be moving along nicely for a while, but with concerns over an escalating budget, it looks like the studios have finally and ultimately pulled the plug. "The film is entirely dead. In the configuration it was in. Whatever happens with that movie, assuming that movie gets made, will be a totally different configuration. It's not so much me as the entire vessel sank…" Blomkamp told Creativity Online. Which sucks, I thought the work he did on those shorts was fantastic and boded wonderfully for the HALO movie. Blomkamp was also asked about the much more realistic depiction of sci-fi that he was pursuing, saying that "I was going to push that as far as [I could] until the studios kind of threw a noose around me. I was going to go as far with that as I possibly could. I wanted it to feel like the most brutal, real version of science fiction in a war environment that you've seen in a while. And Universal was on board with that. I don't really remember what Fox thought about it, but Universal seemed down with it. It would have been cool, it would have been a unique take on things, science fiction in a dirty, organic way."
Old 10-05-07, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Funny that after Halo 3 sets all kind of sales records they kill the movie.
Old 10-05-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WTF, I heard they killed this movie months ago.
Old 10-06-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Funny that after Halo 3 sets all kind of sales records they kill the movie.
Every other week it seems they announce another vidoe game to movie adaptation, some of obscure titless that most have never heard of let alone played. Yet arguably the biggest game in history gets stuck in development hell. Their even making a movie out of Neverhood.
Old 10-06-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it's mainly because of Halo's budget. It was huge.
Old 09-05-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Halo: The Movie

Not trying to bump for "official" reasons or give any false hope, but there is a new live action commercial for the Halo ODST game that is just amazing. Maybe an indication of things to come?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8zdkXtb9Yw&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8zdkXtb9Yw&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-05-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Though I'm not a gamer, I'd def watch a film on Halo if it looked that cool.
Old 09-05-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I love Halo but didn't have my hopes very high on the film when the project was alive, but that ODST trailer is fucking amazing.
Old 09-05-09, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Not trying to bump for "official" reasons or give any false hope, but there is a new live action commercial for the Halo ODST game that is just amazing. Maybe an indication of things to come?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8zdkXtb9Yw&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8zdkXtb9Yw&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Holy crap...who directed that? That was better than the one Blomkamp did for Halo 3.
Old 09-05-09, 07:56 PM

Why do they always cry when they get their heads shaved?!
Old 04-19-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

No.. it's still not happening, but this is a great article in Wired on why it never happened.

Originally Posted by Excerpts from Wired
Most of the studios who read the Halo screenplay passed immediately. Microsoft’s terms were simply too demanding. By the end of Master Chief Monday there were only two horses in the race: Fox and Universal. Microsoft hoped to use each to leverage off the other but hadn’t banked on the studios’ very different approach to doing business. “What the games industry doesn’t understand is that this town is all about lunch,” explains Shapiro. “It doesn’t happen like that in the games industry. If there was a movie studio going out to the games publishers to license Avatar or something like that, they’d say ‘Ok we’re licensing Avatar, send us your best deal. But none of the games publishers would talk to each other and say ‘Hey, what are you going to offer them?’”

The studios weren’t so reticent in sounding each other out. “What happened was Universal called Fox and asked them what they were going to offer,” continues Shapiro, who watched events unfold close-up. “They decided to partner on it. ‘Let’s offer the same deal and offer to partner’. So now we lost our leverage.” Universal agreed to take U.S. domestic, Fox would take foreign. In the blink of an eye Microsoft’s bargaining position had been pole-axed.

Against this fraught background, Universal funded $12 million of preliminary development on the movie. Some of the money was spent before Blomkamp came on-board by director Guillermo Del Toro, who was initially attached before going off to make Hellboy II: The Golden Army instead. The rest was spent on Blomkamp’s watch and included paying various screenwriters — Scott Frank, D.B. Weiss, Josh Olson — to redraft the original screenplay.

Meanwhile, Weta Workshop, the New Zealand physical effects company co-founded by Jackson, was fabricating real-life versions of the weapons, power armour and the Warthog assault vehicle from the game. Blomkamp would eventually use them to shoot a series of thrilling test shorts. “The legacy of a movie never made,” is how Moore describes the collected footage, which was later cut together under the title Halo: Landfall and used to promote the Halo 3 videogame release in 2007.

With development proving slow, Fox and Universal were beginning to get impatient. The gross heavy deal and costs increased the growing sense of unease. In October 2006, right before a payment was due to be made to the filmmakers and Microsoft, Universal demanded that the producers’ deals be cut. Jackson consulted with his co-producers and Blomkamp, as well as with Microsoft and Bungie, and refused. In a stroke, the Halo movie was pronounced dead in the water.

What ultimately killed the Halo movie was money. “Microsoft’s unwillingness to reduce their deal killed the deal,” says Shapiro. “Their unwillingness to reduce their gross in the deal meant it got too top-heavy. That movie could have been Avatar.”
Old 04-19-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Not being a Halo fan, it's no wonder I never heard of this short 'til now:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aDEeLr9gUmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasn't District 9 also in part the product of the aborted Halo movie?
Old 04-19-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wasn't District 9 also in part the product of the aborted Halo movie?
It was my understanding when it came out that that was the case.

I thought District 9 was great. I'm not in to the Halo games so it did the job for me.
Old 04-20-12, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is too bad. I still think the director's short movie is phenomenal (see my last post) and I would love to see such a... realistic sci-fi movie come to the screen. If it's done in the style of Starship Troopers, we don't need it.
Woohoo!
Old 04-20-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There was a Japanese animated version with an English voice cast released on DVD called HALO LEGENDS (2010), which I thought was quite good.

Old 04-20-12, 10:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

May be for the best for this one. You'd have to go Peter Jackson $200 million plus on the budget to fully realize the Halo world. Anything less than that and it'll be the next Doom movie. I can see Microsoft being asses about this, but I doubt this would have been the next Avatar.
Old 04-20-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I can see Microsoft being asses about this, but I doubt this would have been the next Avatar.
I'm glad Microsoft were being assholes about the entire thing. At the end of the day, they have to protect their IP from being tarnished.

Halo: Reach, the last game Microsoft and Bungie released, made more than $350 million within its first two weeks of release. That's huge for a game that's released on a single console (unlike the Call of Duty franchise which sees a release on all platforms). Halo is Microsoft's cash cow that has pulled in over a billion dollars alone within the past two-to-three years. That's why we're seeing Halo 4 in November, Microsoft can't let the franchise die.

Fox didn't agree with Blomkamp's vision and Universal wanted to defund the producers. Jackson and Microsoft made the right decision in killing the film. Having another Doom or Mortal Kombat will ruin the franchise more than help it. Hell, if anything, Microsoft should just fund and make the film themselves. They have the money to do it.