Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hotel Rwanda or Million Dollar Baby?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to the movies this afternoon and I have a difficult choice to make: Hotel Rwanda or Million Dollar Baby? Which one would you see? I'm leaning towards Hotel Rwanda because its different and I like Don Cheadle more than Eastwood or Freeman. I'll probably end up seeing both movies this weekend. But if you had to chose. Which one?
Old 01-28-05, 10:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too like Don Cheadle and am faced with a similar dilemma, but will probably opt for MDB.
Old 01-28-05, 11:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOTEL RWANDA is a very good film about a subject that few know about, or even more want to talk about. A well acted, engrossing motion picture.

MILLION DOLLAR BABY is the "cat's ass." A simple story, told with authority and attention to performance and emotion. It's devestating. And it's the second best film I saw in 2004.

Both are good choices, but MDB all the way.
Old 01-28-05, 12:16 PM
Banned

Mdb
Old 01-28-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd MDB first
Old 01-28-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
MDB, then before seeing Hotel Rwanda, read this book:

Or wait for the documentary based on the same book coming out on DVD (Microfilms) on 03/01
Old 01-28-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I ended up seeing Hotel Rwanda. Great film. Maybe Million Dollar Baby will be better I greatly enjoyed Hotel Rwanda. Terrific film. Million Dollar Baby is next.
Old 01-28-05, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
MILLION DOLLAR BABY is the "cat's ass." A simple story, told with authority and attention to performance and emotion. It's devestating. And it's the second best film I saw in 2004.
Ok, I'll bite. What was your favorite film of 2004 out of curiosity?
Old 01-28-05, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by badger1997
Ok, I'll bite. What was your favorite film of 2004 out of curiosity?
Er, now don't start throwing things at me...but THE LIFE AQUATIC.

Not a popular choice, I know. It tickled me.
Old 01-28-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Throws stuff at scott shelton.

Seriously, I just saw MDB and I think it's far and away the best film of 2004.

Hotel Rwanda was excellent but not in the same league.
Old 01-29-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MILLION DOLLAR BABY is the "cat's ass."
Did you get that from EW?
Old 01-29-05, 02:56 AM

I haven't seen it yet. Was all pumped up for it and was actually at the theater to see it when it was supposed to start showing, but their copy got delayed due to snow storms, so I haven't gotten a chance to go back. Probably gonna wait until it reaches buget theater at this point, but I also liked Million Dollar Baby, so you liking both films gives me hope for The Life Aquatic when I do get a chance to see it.
Old 01-29-05, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i reallt don't get MDB. first i could careless about boxing, second i could even lesser about a female boxer. the film might be execute well and the acting great, but how can i give a shit within a context i don't like, or infact dislike?

what am i missing? everyone seems to like this movie. perhaps i am misinformed about?
maybe it'd be like saying i'd have no interest in shawshank redeption becuase i don't like jail break flicks? if that analogy is correct please let me know so i am more willing to go see MDB.

otherwise, HR, from what i know (haven't seen it) should be far better. based on real events and shows the best of humanity in a inhumane situation.
Old 01-29-05, 04:42 AM
Banned

MDB is a character piece disguised as a boxing film, just like Raging Bull.
Old 01-29-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venom
maybe it'd be like saying i'd have no interest in shawshank redeption becuase i don't like jail break flicks? if that analogy is correct please let me know so i am more willing to go see MDB.
That analogy is correct. See it; I doubt you will be sorry.
Old 01-29-05, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
MDB, then before seeing Hotel Rwanda, read this book:

Or wait for the documentary based on the same book coming out on DVD (Microfilms) on 03/01
I read the book about six months ago. I saw the Movie last night. Obviously they are two different stories. That being said, the movie didn't even come close to what I was hoping for. The movie fell flat as far as i was concerned.

I should have expected less I suppose. The viewpoint of this story is very narrow, in fact it only deals with the going-ons of "Hotel Rwanda". That's fine in and of itself. But you won't learn alot about what happened in Rwanda if this is your only source of information, so don't expect what was never meant to be.

All history aside, the story didn't do anything for me emotionally. So that leaves me with nothing. I wouldn't recommend this movie. IMO if you were looking for a similar story but better, I'd recommend Schindler's List.

I do agree with the reading the book though. One of the best I've read.

EDIT: I would recommend MDB though. Great story.
Old 01-29-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was about as interested in seeing MDB as I was in watching paint dry...We were in midtown today and I was freezing so the wife an I decided to go see a movie, and it was the only movie playing anytime soon. I said what the hell because I needed to warm the fuck up. Im so glad I did to because this movie was excellent. It isnt really anything that I thought it was and very surprised at how good it was. My wife said the same thing and she probably wanted to see it less than I did.
Old 01-29-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by smirnoff
... I wouldn't recommend this movie [Hotel Rwanda]. IMO if you were looking for a similar story but better, I'd recommend Schindler's List.
I agree that Schindler's List is much better. So is The Killing Fields. But still, I found Hotel Rwanda powerful and moving. And Don Cheadle's performance is beautifully nuanced and maybe the best of the year (haven't seen Ray yet). I recommend it.
Old 01-30-05, 04:31 AM

i reallt don't get MDB. first i could careless about boxing, second i could even lesser about a female boxer. the film might be execute well and the acting great, but how can i give a shit within a context i don't like, or infact dislike?

what am i missing? everyone seems to like this movie. perhaps i am misinformed about?

otherwise, HR, from what i know (haven't seen it) should be far better. based on real events and shows the best of humanity in a inhumane situation.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I absolutely hate female boxing. Can't stand it at all and find it excruciating to watch. But I loved Million Dollar Baby. Like others said, the boxing is merely part of the film, which is more a character piece than anything else.

Actually, I made this remark as my wife and I were leaving the film. The boxing sequences reminded me of the Rocky movies quite a bit in they were nothing like what real female boxing is like to watch. If female boxing was as entertaining as it is portrayed in this film, I might actually watch it a bit more.

Bottom line, go see it and judge for yourself, but I have heard from very few people who have actually gone and seen it that didn't at least really like it. Most of the negatives I have heard is from people like yourself, who were not jazzed about seeing it from the trailers they had seen or because of their disinterest in boxing.
Old 01-30-05, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by conscience
Did you get that from EW?
Yes. I read that at the airport. Funny stuff...
Old 01-30-05, 01:57 PM
Banned

It isn't about boxing. It's about relationships, morality, faith and life.

Incredible movie.
Old 01-31-05, 01:02 PM
Retired

Boxing is a large part of it. If you totally loathe boxing you may not like it. As others have said, it's really a character piece so I don't think hating boxing is a deal breaker for certain. However, it certainly could be for some people.