Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker

Wow thanks for putting up the poster for Summer Job. I remember watching this movie on HBO when I was around 13 all the time and was just recently trying to find out the name of it. Found a VHS copy on half.com for $25 and $99! Can't even find it "elsewhere".
Old 04-09-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Remember Private School with Matthew Modine and Phoebe Cates? Wow she looked great in that... of course she looked great in everything... spooge demon...
Forget Phoebe Cates, I thought Modine's character in that movie was crazy for not jumping all over the bad-girl played by Betsy Russell.

Old 04-09-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Anyone remember Breaking All The Rules?

The scene that I remember the most is the guy trying to put the pasty on the dancer's tit, but his aim is a little off!
Old 04-09-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I can't even count the number of times we were stuck watching H.O.T.S. throughout the years...
Old 04-09-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Master of Menace used to play on Showtime all of the time. It was the dirtiest movie I was allowed to watch at the time. Watched it 20+ times.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i0VJTpxPMCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Old 04-09-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Get out on the highway and go full speed for ten miles, see how it feels"
"Like shit!"
Old 04-10-11, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

LOVE Moving Violations!
Old 04-11-11, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-13-11, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone remember the movie "Old Enough" from about 83 or 84 it was shown frequently on HBO. about a rich girl who moves to the neighborhood and meets a street smart girl who teaches her to shoplift etc. I loved this movie.. it had a great plot and some good actors. I believe a young Alyssa Milano was in it if I remember correctly..
Old 04-14-11, 05:19 AM

so cool...is there a cable channel that cater to these kind of movies? from 80s b movies to the rhonda shear "USA up all night" type of movies.. i miss those.
Old 04-14-11, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be awesome but we all know after a year or two all it would show would be reailty shows.
Old 04-15-11, 06:36 PM

wow...thanks Luther!

skysblue- 'old enough' is a movie I remember watching too.
It's not on netfli, but I read that it's available on amaz0n, and BB.

a movie w/ alan arkin called 'improper channels' was played alot.
he plays a dad who gets in a fender bender w/ his daughter.
he's accused of child abuse. mariette hartley is in it.

Last edited by sidra; 04-15-11 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember watching "Midnight Madness" with David Naughton and Michael J. Fox about 100 times in the early 80's. Saw it a few months ago and can't figure out how I watched it once.
I also remember the Steve Banks show where the whole show revolved around him doing everything except the work project he had to get done that day. I was so psyched when they did a second show with the guy but the changed his last name and it wasn't nearly as good.
I was watcing Pee-Wee on broadway last night and I remember watching a similar stage play which I'm guessing eventually turned into PeeWees Playhouse, but it was a little on the racey side. I loved when Pee-Wee and another guy put mirrors on their shoes to see the underpants of a girl friend of theirs and she said "Guys, i'm not wearing underpants" and they got mad and took the mirrors off. Didn't see that on Saturday mornings.
Old 09-16-11, 04:03 PM

LOVE this thread. Seen most of the movies mentioned here hundreds of times.

I stumbled on this while I was searching for the title of a movie I used to watch over and over on HBO or Cinemax in the early 80's. I have faith that someone here will recognize it and at least be able to give me a clue about the title or who was in it.

I remember seeing this movie on Cinemax in the 80's. I can't come up with enough to search for the title. It had the production value feel of something like Harold and Maude, the way it was edited and the film stock used.

Ok, here is what I remember from it. A boy and his mom and some servants living in a house, like a big estate. The mom forbids the boy to eat toast, I think she is afraid he will choke and die. The boy smokes a houkah out back with who I thought was the big black 7-UP spokesman from the 80's, the UN-COLA guy (HA HA HA!) but it's not in his filmography, so maybe just someone that reminded me of him... The mom accidentally slams the dining room door on the boy's dog, I think she kills it. At the end of the movie the boy has a gun and is being attacked by a monkey so he shoots it, but the monkey turns out to be his mom and she is dead, so he finally is able to make some toast while the closing credits roll.

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-16-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Forget Phoebe Cates, I thought Modine's character in that movie was crazy for not jumping all over the bad-girl played by Betsy Russell.

Saw this in HD last night and I STRONGLY agree.
Old 09-16-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteveP_Rules
LOVE this thread. Seen most of the movies mentioned here hundreds of times.

I stumbled on this while I was searching for the title of a movie I used to watch over and over on HBO or Cinemax in the early 80's. I have faith that someone here will recognize it and at least be able to give me a clue about the title or who was in it.

I remember seeing this movie on Cinemax in the 80's. I can't come up with enough to search for the title. It had the production value feel of something like Harold and Maude, the way it was edited and the film stock used.

Ok, here is what I remember from it. A boy and his mom and some servants living in a house, like a big estate. The mom forbids the boy to eat toast, I think she is afraid he will choke and die. The boy smokes a houkah out back with who I thought was the big black 7-UP spokesman from the 80's, the UN-COLA guy (HA HA HA!) but it's not in his filmography, so maybe just someone that reminded me of him... The mom accidentally slams the dining room door on the boy's dog, I think she kills it. At the end of the movie the boy has a gun and is being attacked by a monkey so he shoots it, but the monkey turns out to be his mom and she is dead, so he finally is able to make some toast while the closing credits roll.

Anyone? Bueller?
Andrew Birkin's short Sredni Vashtar?

Or maybe another adaptation of the same story. This had a ferret instead of a monkey, and no hookah, but the toast part is similar.

EDIT: Ah, it's got to be The Orphan b/k/a Friday The 13th: The Orphan

mildly NSFW

I'd heard the title but never knew it was based on the Saki story. The whole movie's on YT.

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 09-16-11 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarity, always clarity
Old 09-16-11, 07:37 PM

OH. MY. GOD.

It is Friday the 13th: The Orphan. This has been digging at me for years, thank you!

I used to watch this all the time on HBO. One of those nonsensical movies that is almost a guilty pleasure. I just watched him shoot the imaginary monkey, which turned out to be stuffed, killing his aunt I guess, and then proceeded to make himself some toast. Good times.

Oh and also, another movie on my list is "Race for the Yankee Zephyr" - pretty good flick from what I remember, never heard of anyone else seeing it other than me, on HBO in the 80's.
Old 09-23-11, 03:57 PM

Not sure if these were already mentioned:

Surf 2

Swamp Thing

On the Right Track with Gary Coleman

There are two other movies I have been trying to remember the names of, I think they were on HBO but may have been Showtime in the early - mid eighties.

1. About a group of steel workers building a skyscraper and having to get it "topped out" by a certain date for some reason. I keep wanting to say it was called "Steel" or something simple like that. One of the main characters was someone that reminded me of a Kris Kristopherson / Convoy type of character. There was a scene where an indian ironworker fell and got killed. Any ideas???

2. This one i remember even less. It was set in the everglades and one or two boys were being chased by some bad guys, there were airboats involved. I remember a duffle bag full of machine guns and someone walking waist deep in the everglades / swamp. I know it's a long shot.
Old 09-23-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Fucking Ratboy
Old 09-23-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-23-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by mike6966
Not sure if these were already mentioned:

Surf 2

Swamp Thing

On the Right Track with Gary Coleman

There are two other movies I have been trying to remember the names of, I think they were on HBO but may have been Showtime in the early - mid eighties.

1. About a group of steel workers building a skyscraper and having to get it "topped out" by a certain date for some reason. I keep wanting to say it was called "Steel" or something simple like that. One of the main characters was someone that reminded me of a Kris Kristopherson / Convoy type of character. There was a scene where an indian ironworker fell and got killed. Any ideas???

2. This one i remember even less. It was set in the everglades and one or two boys were being chased by some bad guys, there were airboats involved. I remember a duffle bag full of machine guns and someone walking waist deep in the everglades / swamp. I know it's a long shot.
Swamp Thing isn't a lost movie?
Old 09-23-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door

Amen x 1000 !!!
Old 09-24-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mike6966
I guess the obvious candidate would be:
Steel (1979)
Old 09-27-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some movies from hbo back then, that look better than the dvd transfers. For example, I have old hbo tapes of Karate Kid and Creepshow 2, and the colors are brighter, crisper than their dvd transfers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.