Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Usual Suspects question(s) (SPOILER ALERT!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Let me just say that I love this movie! That said, everytime I watch it something weird happens. The movie gets better, but at the same time I also get more questions about what was happening.

My main question is: just what parts of the story Verbal Kint tells to Chazz Palimenteri are true and which are false? Once the end hits, the only thing we really know for sure happened was the line-up and the explosion at the dock. Everything else could be a variation or or flat out B.S. Heck, since it's a know fact that Verbal and Keyser Soze are the same guy, there's even a question as to whether or not the stories about Soze that Kint tells about are true. Is Soze really as bad ass as he says, or is he just glorifying himself? Did they every really have the encounters with Kobyashi? Just curious as to other opinions, as I am sure there are no real definite answers.
Old 01-21-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was always of the mindset that we're not supposed to know. Which is the beauty of the movie for me.
Old 01-21-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Once the end hits, the only thing we really know for sure happened was the line-up and the explosion at the dock.
It has been a while since I've seen the film so bare with me if I don't remember everything exactly.

If you accept the line-up to be an actual occurence why wouldn't you accept everything that happened in the jail cell after? The reason for the line-up was because a truck carrying gun parts was hijacked, which we learn later Hockney is responsible for, so the cops brought in the usual suspects; at least that is what we are lead to believe at the time. Now, the scene in the jail cell is important because McManus brings a "job" to the table that is arranged by Soze. We learn later the reasoning for this is that Saul Berg is a competitor with Soze in drug distribution. Soze sets up the "job" so he can personally dispose of Berg & in a way to get the ball rolling with getting this team ready for the ultimate job at the harbor.

Kobayashi is a real person, since we see him at the end of the film with Soze, but only with a different name given by Soze to protect his identity during questioning. Remember, Soze arranged the job with "redfoot" through his lawyer (Kobayashi) since he himself was actually involved in the job.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 01-21-05 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
My take is that Verbal's story is mostly accurate, with only the names and minor details changed. It's pretty much what actually happened to each of the guys on the "job." We're seeing the story told from their perspective (and Verbal is one of the guys as far as they're concerned).
Old 01-21-05, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My take on the events is the same, that they are accurate. As for the stories about Soze (killing his fam, etc.) I took it that these are acurate in the sense that this was the view that people in the know held about him. Meaning everyone believed he was that badass and convinced the stories actually happened. Whether or not they actually did, I would guess that Verbal did any means necessisary to make this fabricated legend. So, the stories can't be true because someone would have had to actually seen and know who Soze is. But, you cannot create somehting like Soze without actually doing very brutal acts, so I would not doubt the heartless brutallity of Verbal (ordering horrible stuff done).