Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Lions Gate keep their word on High Tension(NC-17 release) or not?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: High Tension NC-17 or R?
YES...NC-17 release. They will stay true to their word
35.29%
NO...R rated release. You can't trust the studio anymore
52.94%
Unsure,if NC-17..terrific. If R,I will lose all faith in Lions Gate
11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Will Lions Gate keep their word on High Tension(NC-17 release) or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meanwhile Sex & Lucia was released unrated theatrically,then a cut R rated version was created for dvd. But the uncut version was also released.
Sex and Lucia was a Palm release. Palm created all the materials for the DVD release, Lions Gate slapped their name on it. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-23-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
didn't Lions Gate release Irreversible uncut on DVD? was it cut theatrically or was it even released theatrically?
Old 01-23-05, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

didn't Lions Gate release Irreversible uncut on DVD? was it cut theatrically or was it even released theatrically?
The film was released uncut theatrically (Lions Gate didn't even submit it to the MPAA). The only DVD of the flick that exists in R1 is the unrated version. Lions Gate didn't even bother by making an edited version.
Old 02-05-05, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lionsgatehorror.com/site/index_flash.html
Old 02-05-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
according to that site the movie will be released June 3rd theatrically, under the NC-17 rating? is that true?
Old 02-05-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

according to that site the movie will be released June 3rd theatrically, under the NC-17 rating? is that true?
As of now. Yes.

Lions Gate wants to get the film on at least 1000 screens. Showgirls was released on 800 screens (or so) back in 1995, so I could see that happening.
Old 02-18-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This quote from the director was posted on mhvf.net,I don't know where it came from,but if true. This could mean bad news....

Alexandre Aja)
The version of 'High Tension' that you are about to see is a dubbed English translation of the original French-language film, featuring Cecile de France's own voice in the part of Marie. The new version has also been re-edited slightly, resulting in a running time that is about one minute shorter than the original. 'High Tension' was conceived as an ode to the 1970's American horror/slasher films I loved as a teenager; so it is a source of great satisfaction to me that American audiences will now be able to experience the film on the same visceral level as French audiences, without the distraction of subtitles. Every filmmaker hopes that his or her work will be seen by the largest audience possible. Now, as an English language film, 'High Tension' has the opportunity to travel to U.S. theaters. I want to thank Lions Gate Films for making this possible.

Now if the one minute of cuts are too the gore,this is very bad news(some international dvd releases were cut by a minute). If the minute of cuts is just for 'pacing' reasons and just deleting a few seconds here and there of 'static' shots with nothing happening. I guess it isn't 'that' bad,but still disappointing.

But the dubbing and cutting does lead one to suspect,they are aiming for an R rating for wider audience exposure.

This would'nt be bad news if we were guaranteed the uncut French language version on dvd immediately. But this is Lions Gate we are talking about it,and so far films cut for theatrical release are not released uncut(at least for a long long long time).
Old 02-18-05, 12:55 PM

looking through a Futureshop flyer (Futureshop is a canadian store much like BestBuy, in case you don't know) I saw that a bonus disc came with a pre-order of Saw. The graphic was really small, but I could see that it said "High Tension" on the bonus disc. I don't know if it's supposed to be a supposed "sneak peek" or what; as I really doubt they'd give up on the picture now and just release the film straight to DVD --and as a bonus disc at that.

btw, I think they'll be cutting it to R
Old 02-18-05, 02:51 PM

I asked around and found where that quote came from,here it is....

http://www.horrorchannel.com/dread/m...rticle&sid=983

I think we should bombard the LG forums,call them,email,write them,do everything in our power to show our disappointment in their decisions. + point out how untrustworthy they are nowadays.
Old 02-18-05, 03:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I think we should bombard the LG forums,call them,email,write them,do everything in our power to show our disappointment in their decisions. + point out how untrustworthy they are nowadays.

I wouldn't call them untrustworthy. It's what the market demands. Be happy they didn't mow it down to a PG-13.
Old 02-18-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to have to agree with Shelton on this one (sigh, why him?).

Either way, LGF could've done a lot worse with this flick. HOWEVER, I think dubbing the flick is worse than editing the film to an R.

Since they've already submitted the "uncut" version months ago to the MPAA, there may be a chance that LGF will release that version on DVD. Look at Dimension. Darkness was originally rated R. After The Grudge, it got trimmed to a PG-13 for theatrical release. And now it'll be on DVD, it'll be released in both theatrical and uncut versions.

I wouldn't lose all hope yet.
Old 02-18-05, 04:11 PM

While I understand they have to make a profit,thus an R rating would allow it wider exposure.

I am getting extremely sick of LG leading us on with the possiblity of uncut dvd releases,yet never delivering.

When you look at their track record in this case,they have not come through at all since the Monsters Ball rerelease.

Meanwhile all their horror releases have not gotten any uncut releases at all on dvd. They had added the uncut footage as an 'extra' on a couple releases,but that was about it.

Also I wish someone could explain the logic of releasing both the U.S R rated version and uncensored version of Saw in the U.K.,but not in the U.S.? Since it was released uncut in the U.K,why would they bother also releasing the slightly cut U.S version over there?

So there is a good chance the R rated dubbed High Tension is all that is released on dvd. The uncut version may sit on the shelf for years,before being released here.

Of course we will see what happens with the fall release of The Devils Rejects. Will we finally see the release of the much promised,hinted at uncut version of House of 1000 Corpses?

But so far,they have become pretty unreliable in my eyes regarding uncut releases.

Also if studios really want to make the NC-17 work,they have to promote it really well and make it sound intrigueing. Hype it us as 'too extreme for an R rating' and it will draw peoples attention towards it.

If the budgets are fairly low,and they don't spend 20+ million on advertising. The films could easilly make a profit,and if they are really good. Get noticed by more people,thus make more money.

But by pussying out with cut releases only(especially for more visceral films like High Tension which need to be seen uncensored),while still making a maxium profit. The stigma of the NC-17 rating will never disappear.
Old 02-18-05, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm going to have to agree with Shelton on this one (sigh, why him?).
So many people resist it at first, but they soon come around.

Since they've already submitted the "uncut" version months ago to the MPAA, there may be a chance that LGF will release that version on DVD. Look at Dimension. Darkness was originally rated R. After The Grudge, it got trimmed to a PG-13 for theatrical release. And now it'll be on DVD, it'll be released in both theatrical and uncut versions.

I wouldn't lose all hope yet.

There you go, Julie Walker. That's how you send a message to Lions Gate. Don't purchase a ticket, just wait for the DVD. That's a good way to send your message of anger.

BTW: Is Miramax going to lable the R-rated cut of DARKNESS the "Makes Sense" edition?
Old 02-18-05, 04:31 PM

Well there stands little chance of High Tension being released uncut on dvd when it first comes out. As shown with Lions Gates track record,that is never the case. They don't do dual rated versions at the same time(unfortunately).

So I am going to purchase an uncut other region release of the film,avoid paying too see the film in theaters.

Meanwhile IF it is released uncut on dvd right away. I will gladly fork over the cash too purchase a copy.
Old 02-18-05, 06:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Well there stands little chance of High Tension being released uncut on dvd when it first comes out. As shown with Lions Gates track record,that is never the case. They don't do dual rated versions at the same time(unfortunately).

So I am going to purchase an uncut other region release of the film,avoid paying too see the film in theaters.

Meanwhile IF it is released uncut on dvd right away. I will gladly fork over the cash too purchase a copy.
got the UK uncut and now i don't have to worry about theatrical, R1 releases and all the hogwash...i have the only version that matters!
Old 03-04-05, 11:43 AM

I just watched the film last night. Now my curiosity is waaaaaaay up for the R-rated cut. It will be interesting to see what they snipped.
Old 03-04-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had never heard of this movie until I started reading the thread and then did some research.
Is it rated NC-17 due to violence?
Old 03-04-05, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I had never heard of this movie until I started reading the thread and then did some research.
Is it rated NC-17 due to violence?
Yes.
Old 03-04-05, 03:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this is so typical of Lions Gate - I was planning on taking some friends on seeing this but on second thought I think I'll rent the uncut version from Nicheflix and throw a screening party instead - no money to Lions Gate from us.

[Nelson Muntz]Ha-Ha![/Nelson Muntz ]
Old 03-06-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are in LOS ANGELES and you are interested in seeing this film this TUESAY, post your email here and i'll contact you. I'm not using my passes, so whoever wants them can have them.
Old 03-07-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bump
Old 03-07-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I thought they released Saw uncut on DVD, or was that just the bonus scenes?
Old 03-07-05, 11:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I thought they released Saw uncut on DVD, or was that just the bonus scenes?
have no idea about the bonus scenes on the region 1 DVD, but the Japanese and UK DVD editions are the complete unrated cut of the film.
Old 04-10-05, 10:58 PM

This says it all.............

High Tension (2005)
Lions Gate Films
R Rated R for graphic bloody killings, terror, sexual content and language.
Previously rated (NC-17) in (04).
Old 04-11-05, 01:04 AM

So glad I saw the flick at a film festival!

Even with the gore-snips AND the English dub, I'd still call High Tension a real treat for the horror fans. But I won't buy the DVD until it's released with the original French track and the excised scenes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.