Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Assault on Precinct 13" (05) thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw "Assault on Precinct 13" (05) thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 05:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Also it does not use the success of Rio Bravo to sell the film, like the remake of Assault does. To me the original Assault is not an "official" remake.

Rogue is hardly piggybacking off a 28 YEAR OLD MOVIE to sell this new incarnation.

The "original" ASSAULT was a remake too. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it's clear this thread isn't getting into your brain.

Let us help, Josh.

Last edited by scott shelton; 01-20-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Between this & your posts in the Elektra thread you come across as a kid trying trying to act like some big movie afiocianado & yet you make statements that make NO sense at all & show you have no clue about movies, despite claiming elsewhere that you've seen every classic domestic & foreign movie that exists. You say you hate remakes yet love the original Assault, which in itself is a remake of a movie that you don't seem to know about, & then you say you won't see this movie b/c it's "a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original". How on earth could you know this if you haven't seen it? And you love the Punisher & Elektra movies which is are as cliched & watered down tripe with absolutely no cohesive stories or dialogue "or balls".

Wow, you have such a grasp of who I am and what I've seen!

Let me say this again, the original Assault was a remake to a point, it was inspired by Rio Bravo and a bevy of other westerns, but was it a remake, not really. For one thing, it didn't use the success of Rio Bravo to sell the film, it was not an official remake. Would you say Kill Bill is a remake of Lady Snowblood? By your rational you could say it is, but it isn't, it's INSPIRED by Lady Snowblood and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Yeah, I like Punisher and Elektra, because to me they did the comics proud and entertained me very much. If you have a problem with it, well, man that's your problem, I'll be sitting here watchin ole Frank hack up some mafia bastards.

And no I won't see this remake, because I don't want to. I see no room for improvement, has the original is a atmospheric, gritty, and hardcore action film, to me it's a perfect film.
Old 01-20-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you have such a grasp of who I am and what I've seen!

By all the comments below & before I certainly have a grasp on what little you know, as others as well have pointed out.

Let me say this again, the original Assault was a remake to a point, it was inspired by Rio Bravo and a bevy of other westerns, but was it a remake, not really.
A remake to a point? You have no clue what you are talking about, Carpenter himself says that Assault is HIS remaking of Rio Bravo as an ode to his favorite director. That is the very definition of a remake.

For one thing, it didn't use the success of Rio Bravo to sell the film, it was not an official remake.
Using the success of an original movie is not all that makes a movie a remake, it's what spearheads a marketing gimmick. You honestly believe that just b/c the original Assault isn't called "Rio Bravo" that means it's not a remake?

Would you say Kill Bill is a remake of Lady Snowblood? By your rational you could say it is, but it isn't, it's INSPIRED by Lady Snowblood and Once Upon a Time in the West.
You are clueless man, those examples don't even make sense. Lady Snowblood inspired ONE character in the movie & he used some music for that scene. Same with OUATITW. Kill Bill is not a remake it's an cluster of homages in an Tarantino's own original script. Carpenter set out to make his interpritation of one of his favorite films.

Yeah, I like Punisher and Elektra, because to me they did the comics proud and entertained me very much.
I have no problem that you like them, that's cool. It's your childish grade-school logic (or lack there of) & contradictions that are annoying. You say you won't see the Assault remake b/c it's "a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original", yet one; you haven't seen it to know that & two: Punisher & Elektra are as dumb as you get, especially Elektra with a plot that makes no sense, they explain nothing in that movie yet you can enjoy them. And you had to see them to make your decision, so maybe you should see the Assault remake before you called it a a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original. And again, if you actually did read the Elektra source material , you would know it does not do the comics proud.

And no I won't see this remake, because I don't want to. I see no room for improvement, has the original is a atmospheric, gritty, and hardcore action film, to me it's a perfect film.
Yet you you see & enjoy one of the most unneccessary remakes of all-time in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A movie in which the original nearly any true film fan would consider flawless, one of the most original, atmospheric, gritty & hardcore films ever created, that many critics consider to be the greatest horror film ever made. Your reasoning makes no sense.

And let me tell you man, I HATE this out of control remake trend. But I will actually see a movie before I judge it. While most remakes are dreadful, they can also be incredible & just fun sometimes. The remake of the Thing (another Carpent movie, that somehow you don't like) is my all-time favorite horror movie. Your points just make no sense, you just sound like a kid trying to act like he is so cool b/c he's seen the original version of a movie & now he'll act like he is too good for a remake. But the director of the movie you love so much isn't too good for it. He loved the Assault remake. And I guaranty your DVD collection contains more remakes than the only two remakes ever that you claim to enjoy.

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-20-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not going to see it, because I know that it's just a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original. Why bother when I have the hardcore old school original?
I hate to see this type of classic get thrown into the Hollywood blender and be churned out has a MTV music video
Just a heads up, I've seen them both...

The new one has more balls than I expected. It was pretty good actually, and I (being completely out of the loop apparently) didn't even realize that was Ja-Rule until the end credits. I do sometimes get annoyed when a director places a rapper (or another musician) in a movie just to draw another crowd, but Ja Rule doesn't intrude on the enjoyment of the movie. Example: For some reason, Busta Rhymes in finding forrester always bothered me, he wasn't terrible, but it was just out of place.

If you don't want to go see it, fine, but don't boycott it on the grounds it sucks unless you have first hand knowledge that it sucks. If you do you will force us to lump you in with the people who boycotted Dogma for its anti-catholicism without ever having seen it.

My $.02...
Nick
Old 01-20-05, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I love Carpenter, but I think the original is overrated. The score kicked ass, and the movie did have the balls to
Spoiler:
kill off the little girl
. But the general execution of the premise was often pretty weak, IMO. The direction isn't up to Carpenter's best, and some of the acting is lacking. The nonstop hourde of people busting through the windows and getting shot one-by-one is great in a zombie movie or a video game, but here it just seemed ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie and it has some great elements, but it's hardly the untouchable masterpiece some consider it to be.

Couldn't agree with you more, probably b/c I only saw the original recently, and after hearing how great it was I was a little puzzled. I did enjoy it; I'm guessing that if I would have been a fan earlier, I may be more of a fan now.
Example: I love Carpenter's prince of darkness, i watch it every halloween, it is one of my top 5 scariest films, but I rarely share it with new people anymore, because most people think it is dumb. Even in college, I used to find the occasional person who enjoyed it, but no longer.

I really enjoyed the new one. there were plot holes, but there always are. I thought the action scenes wer good though...
Old 01-20-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least this time it actually took place at Precint 13...

I enjoyed it. Of course, the Carpenter film cant be touched, but it was still a decent film.
Old 01-20-05, 10:48 PM

I agree with most of what has been said - "Assault on Precinct 13" had its share of plot holes, but it had better-than-average characterization for an action movie, some unexpected twists, and yes, a "ballsy" willingness to kill off characters that we don't want to see killed off.

Sessa, I agree with almost everything you said - except I liked the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake. That and "Precinct 13" are two similar situations - the originals are low-budget but inspired films that manage to capture lightning in a bottle and have a rough, gritty, authentic power that has made them both classics of their respective genres. The remakes, in both cases, are well-done, slicker versions of the originals' format (same goes for the "Dawn of the Dead" remake). None of these remakes are better than the originals, but they're still valuable, because it's clear that their makers have a genuine respect for what Carpenter, Romero, and Hooper accomplished.

Now here's hoping they don't screw up "The Fog," one of my all-time favorite movies...
Old 01-20-05, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
This remake commits a criminal sin, one that every movie should desperately avoid. It bored me. I found myself looking at my watch constantly throughout it's duration. I didnt find a single character to root for or against. There was no tension to speak of, mostly because of the change in plot - instead of the faceless/mindless horde in the original, the remake's bad guys are explained to us, there's no mystery or fear of death. The remake makes us think that if you can work out a deal, you can make it out alive whereas the original gave the characters no hope at all.

Wow, i wasn't bored, and I don't think many others in the theater were either.
The crowd laughed out loud more than a few times, and I thought the action was done well. I think explaining the bad guys motives show them as cold, and willing to kill everyone. No one had a chance to make a deal.
Spoiler:
Do you think the final deal would have worked out for Jasper. I think they would have just killed him after that anyway.

I agree there is no mystery, but I thought the motives made up for it.

While Laurence Fishburne is a fine actor, his character is no Napoleon. Yeah, we're *told* he's a cold blooded killer, unfortunately we're not given a reason to genuinely *believe* it.

I thought the open scene established LF as cold blooded, and while Napoleon was a bad ass, he was also a little comical. I didn't think LF was comical at all, making him a little more badass.
Spoiler:
I would have been shocked it Napoleon would have turned on Bishop, I would not have been shocked if Bishop would have turned on Roenick

The setting is also poor, the original clearly pointed out just how desolate and empty the area around precinct 13 was. The remake? I was expecting a pizza delivery man to show up by mistake "Oops! Wrong address!" *blam blam!*

I thought the setting was less desolete, you're right, but the snowstorm made up for it being basically on the wrong side of the tracks.

I didn't see any chemistry between the cast, the supporting players seemed to exist only to annoy the audience.

some of the supporting characters got on my nerves, but Drea de Matteo and Maria Bello were good (and may I also add hot). Drea was much better than expected, but I guess the sopranos isn't you run of the mill TV show, it does require some real acting.

I was gravely disappointed with the remake. Obviously I loved the original and make no mistake, I am very open minded when it comes to remakes but this one failed miserably.
I wasn't gravely disappointed, I (as you can tell) enjoyed it. I do enjoy the original as well, but not as much as many people on this board. I know you say that you love of the original isn't coulding your judgement but i think it may have. I completely understand that; I'm not saying that with any disdain; I have been there, but not htis time...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 01-20-05 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
If I saw the remake, will that take away from seeing the original? Anyone see both and can do a comparison without giving any away? I am wondering if I should get this cheap...
it won't hurt to see the new one first, definitely see the original, but it isn't required to see the new...

Nick
Old 01-21-05, 04:05 AM
Banned

By all the comments below & before I certainly have a grasp on what little you know, as others as well have pointed out.

A remake to a point? You have no clue what you are talking about, Carpenter himself says that Assault is HIS remaking of Rio Bravo as an ode to his favorite director. That is the very definition of a remake.

Using the success of an original movie is not all that makes a movie a remake, it's what spearheads a marketing gimmick. You honestly believe that just b/c the original Assault isn't called "Rio Bravo" that means it's not a remake?

Same with OUATITW. Kill Bill is not a remake it's an cluster of homages in an Tarantino's own original script. Carpenter set out to make his interpritation of one of his favorite films.

I have no problem that you like them, that's cool. It's your childish grade-school logic (or lack there of) & contradictions that are annoying. You say you won't see the Assault remake b/c it's "a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original", yet one; you haven't seen it to know that & two: Punisher & Elektra are as dumb as you get, especially Elektra with a plot that makes no sense, they explain nothing in that movie yet you can enjoy them. And you had to see them to make your decision, so maybe you should see the Assault remake before you called it a a dumb-downed, no balls version of the original. And again, if you actually did read the Elektra source material , you would know it does not do the comics proud.

Yet you you see & enjoy one of the most unneccessary remakes of all-time in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A movie in which the original nearly any true film fan would consider flawless, one of the most original, atmospheric, gritty & hardcore films ever created, that many critics consider to be the greatest horror film ever made. Your reasoning makes no sense.

And let me tell you man, I HATE this out of control remake trend. But I will actually see a movie before I judge it. While most remakes are dreadful, they can also be incredible & just fun sometimes. The remake of the Thing (another Carpent movie, that somehow you don't like) is my all-time favorite horror movie. Your points just make no sense, you just sound like a kid trying to act like he is so cool b/c he's seen the original version of a movie & now he'll act like he is too good for a remake. But the director of the movie you love so much isn't too good for it. He loved the Assault remake. And I guaranty your DVD collection contains more remakes than the only two remakes ever that you claim to enjoy.

Here...

You are clueless man, those examples don't even make sense. Lady Snowblood inspired ONE character in the movie & he used some music for that scene.
Have you even seen Lady Snowblood? It's basically the same movie just a different setting and virtually no budget. Get a grip man.

Christ your anal retentive...you really do need to chill out man. Getting all pent up over another fella's opinions is just a foolish way to spend time. Go outside, take a walk, sniff a dog...whatever, but just get the fuck off my case.

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 01-21-05 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-21-05, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw this on Thursday and enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't a masterpiece, but what do you expect from a January release?

It was good mindless entertainment.

Plus, Maria Bello looked good in it...despite the fact that she's flatter than a board.

I give this 2.5 out of 4 stars.
Old 01-21-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
It was okay. I definitely do not feel I wasted my time, but it was nothing special. Just entertaining, which is okay. 2 Things:

1. Ethan Hawke should not be getting leading roles. He is nothing special as an actor and he was probably the worst part of the movie
2. Was the one girl (from the Sopranos I think) once a man? She if one fugly lady.
Old 01-21-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you even seen Lady Snowblood? It's basically the same movie just a different setting and virtually no budget. Get a grip man.
Yes I have them both, & no it is not a remake, just b/c they are both female revengers stories does not mean they are remakes, tons of movies are similar it doesn't mean they are remakes.

Christ your anal retentive...you really do need to chill out man. Getting all pent up over another fella's opinions is just a foolish way to spend time. Go outside, take a walk, sniff a dog...whatever, but just get the fuck off my case.
Again, with the contradictions: "Getting all pent up over another fella's opinions is just a foolish way to spend time". Isn't that EXACTlY what you are doing? You bring it on yourself with your posts, half a dozen people here all also pointed out your childish attitude & logic.

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-21-05 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-21-05, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb

Plus, Maria Bello looked good in it...despite the fact that she's flatter than a board.
dude, in the scene where she is putting on boots, I was astounded at the her mammary deficiency. It was distracting! But she is hot none-the-less…
Old 01-21-05, 12:16 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
After reading Ebert's review, I'm not quite sure why he gave it 3 stars. It read as if he did not particularily care for the movie.
Old 01-21-05, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Wow, i wasn't bored, and I don't think many others in the theater were either.
The crowd laughed out loud more than a few times, and I thought the action was done well. I think explaining the bad guys motives show them as cold, and willing to kill everyone. No one had a chance to make a deal.
Spoiler:
Do you think the final deal would have worked out for Jasper. I think they would have just killed him after that anyway.

I agree there is no mystery, but I thought the motives made up for it.
No one had a chance to make a deal?
Spoiler:
What did Brian Dennehy do? Not to mention the fact that he clearly stated at the beginning that all they had to do was turn Bishop over to them and they'd be fine.

I thought the open scene established LF as cold blooded, and while Napoleon was a bad ass, he was also a little comical. I didn't think LF was comical at all, making him a little more badass.
Spoiler:
I would have been shocked it Napoleon would have turned on Bishop, I would not have been shocked if Bishop would have turned on Roenick
I don't see how the opening scene established him as a cold blooded killer as
Spoiler:
he was clearly defending himself.

I thought the setting was less desolete, you're right, but the snowstorm made up for it being basically on the wrong side of the tracks.
The snowstorm was fine but it still doesn't add to the idea that anyone could still get to them easily. Fire department arrived just fine didn't they?

some of the supporting characters got on my nerves, but Drea de Matteo and Maria Bello were good (and may I also add hot). Drea was much better than expected, but I guess the sopranos isn't you run of the mill TV show, it does require some real acting.
They were fairly awful I thought.

I wasn't gravely disappointed, I (as you can tell) enjoyed it. I do enjoy the original as well, but not as much as many people on this board. I know you say that you love of the original isn't coulding your judgement but i think it may have. I completely understand that; I'm not saying that with any disdain; I have been there, but not htis time...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...

Trust me when I say my judgement wasn't clouded. I was looking forward to seeing this quite a bit actually. I was let down big time.
Old 01-21-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see how the opening scene established him as a cold blooded killer as
Spoiler:
he was clearly defending himself.
My how desensitized we have become.
Spoiler:
Brutally stabbing someone in the throat without even blinking an eye during prayer service in the middle of a crowded church & then casual walking away.
Somehow that is not the actions of a cold blooded killer? Plus, he didn't have to kill the guy, the character clearly is strong & smart enough to do plenty of other things to him. PLUS,
Spoiler:
wasn't the guy a cop? I though that is how they arrested him, they knew he was there b/c the guy in the church was an under cover cop

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-21-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 07:45 PM

decensortized
Huh?
Old 01-21-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Huh?
Yeah, I agree. Sometimes my brain just spazzes out. Desensitized is what it should have been.
Old 01-22-05, 02:49 AM

No one had a chance to make a deal?
Spoiler:
What did Brian Dennehy do? Not to mention the fact that he clearly stated at the beginning that all they had to do was turn Bishop over to them and they'd be fine.
Spoiler:
brian dennehy's deal was bogus, no way was there anyway he was gonna live past the execution of the other 4.
Brian Dennehy clearly stated that, but it was only wishful thinking. At that point they were all dead. no deal could get then out because how could Gabriel Byrne trust that any of them wouldn't spill their guts; He couldn't, they were all dead from the moment they found out it was crooked cops attacking them.

I think thenew circumstancs were worse than the original, because the people on the inside know the party "assualting" them was coming until they were all dead, in the original the people in the precinct keep hoping they were gonna go away after each assualt.
Old 01-22-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Especially to QuiGonJosh:
I don't consider the original Assault to be a remake either. If anyone has got to use the word remake in that case, they should attach the word "loose" before it. I prefer to call it "inspired by" Rio Bravo.
Old 01-22-05, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by shill66
I prefer to call it "inspired by" Rio Bravo.

Old 01-22-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aside from some of the worst fake snow I've seen in a movie, this flick was HARD. I mean, it was gritty as shit....but that made it pretty damn sweet. It had great action, a fairly fast pace and I thought both Hawke and Fish did a great job. For just a balls out thrill ride, this Assault sure delivered.

MATT
Old 01-22-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I will never see this friggin remake. There are two remakes I like, Fistful of Dolars and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That's it, I've said my peace, I'm done.
Just posted by QuiGonJosh in the "What is your favorite movie of the 1980s thread" as his answer:

8. The Thing
So which is it? Are you a liar & just being that guy as I suggested or do you know absolutely nothing about movies.
Old 01-22-05, 06:39 PM

My how desensitized we have become.
Spoiler:
Brutally stabbing someone in the throat without even blinking an eye during prayer service in the middle of a crowded church & then casual walking away.
Somehow that is not the actions of a cold blooded killer? Plus, he didn't have to kill the guy, the character clearly is strong & smart enough to do plenty of other things to him.
He clearly HAD to do what he did, otherwise he would've suffered the same fate. It's not cold blooded, it's survival.

PLUS,
Spoiler:
wasn't the guy a cop? I though that is how they arrested him, they knew he was there b/c the guy in the church was an under cover cop
Spoiler:
He was a crooked cop, hardly a saint.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.