DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Alex Kintner's death in JAWS (Pic) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/404716-alex-kintners-death-jaws-pic.html)

Mountain Biker 01-11-05 10:30 PM

Alex Kintner's death in JAWS (Pic)

Click on link to see a pic of the original death scene. Damn just looking at it freaks me out! Anyone else seen this before? I know this wasn't shown in the shortened documentary on the CE DVD, but what about the full 2 hour Doc on the laserdisc? Any mention of it?

http://jawsmoviearchives.com/del2_main.html

FinkPish 01-11-05 10:43 PM

Looks cool, but a bit too unsubtle, unlike the rest of the film.
I still prefer the version they ended up using in the film:

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5869/jaws3zz.gif

wm lopez 01-12-05 12:21 AM

I had the laserdisc boxset and don't recall seeing that.
It's creepy just looking at it.
Maybe they took that scene out to get the PG rating.

jeffkjoe 01-12-05 12:40 AM

Trust me, that pic was DEFINITELY not in the laserdisc box set. I've seen those stills and the extended laserdisc documentary and it does not show that.

Good thing though --> Not showing the shark is a 100 TIMES scarier than shoving an all-too-obvious shark under our noses 1/3 into the movie.

My guess: Bruce looked too fake, so Spielberg resorted to the old 1st-person point of view.

Giantrobo 01-12-05 01:14 AM

JAWS...still scary after all these years. :up:

devilshalo 01-12-05 01:49 AM

My boy is dead. I wanted you to know that.

Rivero 01-12-05 06:41 AM

"You knew there was a shark out there. You knew."

"Um...yeah. It's called the ocean, lady. Plenty of sharks live in it. Bitch."

:walks away:

Charlie Goose 01-12-05 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rivero
"You knew there was a shark out there. You knew."

"Um...yeah. It's called the ocean, lady. Plenty of sharks live in it. Bitch."

:walks away:

rotfl

The death scene really got me as a kid, because Mrs. Kintner looked almost exactly like my mother.

dick_grayson 01-12-05 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
rotfl

The death scene really got me as a kid, because Mrs. Kintner looked almost exactly like my mother.

that's weird because a) it scared the shit out of me as a kid and b) it reminded me of my mother

that scene always made me feel horrible, for some reason. I even switch away when I'm watching it on tv.

obscurelabel 01-12-05 10:18 AM

Are there any better uses of the old "zoom in, dolly out" or "Hitchcock zoom" effect? I know this has been used a hundred times or more since Hitchcock used it in Vertigo but this scene from Jaws seems to be the one that I remember as being the most effective. Others, anyone?

Hitchcock zoom

digitalfreaknyc 01-12-05 10:19 AM

Those pictures are REALLY small. They don't look like actual photos from the film but more like production photos. Is there a larger version?

dick_grayson 01-12-05 10:21 AM

I thought Spielberg was the first to do it that way. he also was one of the first to use that edit as people walk by and it jumps closer and closer. It's clear how influenced he is by Hitchcock, as that technique was used in Rope .....among others. Spielberg really does it beautifully, though.

Michael Corvin 01-12-05 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Are there any better uses of the old "zoom in, dolly out" or "Hitchcock zoom" effect? I know this has been used a hundred times or more since Hitchcock used it in Vertigo but this scene from Jaws seems to be the one that I remember as being the most effective. Others, anyone?

Hitchcock zoom

Event Horizon has a couple of good ones. I think 12 Monkeys had a decent one too, but I can't remember the scene.

Fanboy 01-12-05 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel

Hitchcock zoom

The old show Parker Lewis Can't Lose used the effect in almost every episode. I remembered asking my camera techniques teacher how it was done (I suspected some zoom/dolly combo) but he said they were probably just moving the scenery in the background. Like WTF?

I guess that's why he was teaching the intro course.

freudguy 01-12-05 01:39 PM

I agree that less is more regarding seeing the shark but that picture is just damn creepy.

BuddyRevell 01-12-05 01:40 PM

Damn That Is Freaky!!!!!!!!

Numanoid 01-12-05 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I thought Spielberg was the first to do it that way.

:confused: I assume you mean the first after Hitchcock?

dick_grayson 01-12-05 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
:confused: I assume you mean the first after Hitchcock?

yes.

Morf 01-12-05 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Those pictures are REALLY small.

Yeah, don't you love the thumbnails that link to... thumbnails? WTF? -confused-

jeffkjoe 01-12-05 06:44 PM

Actually, you CAN see the shark coming out of the water when Bruce bites down on Alex Kitner -

Watch for the shot RIGHT AFTER the shark's first person point of view coming up towards Alex's splashing legs - On the horizon, you can see the silhouette of the Great White turning (you see its dorsal fin REALLY clearly) as it comes up from under water, with the boy and the raft already in its mouth.

It's a shadow and hard to make out, but its there.

JAWS.

devilshalo 01-12-05 07:17 PM

I never thought it was the dorsal fin turning.. I always thought it was a pectoral fin.

jeffkjoe 01-12-05 08:20 PM

If I remember correctly, the shot in particular where you see Bruce -

-- the shark is turning clockwise - Alex and the raft are already in the shark's jaws, and first you see Bruce's right side fin and then you see the dorsal fin come out of the water, along with the raft and Alex's arm waving hysterically.

QuiGonJosh 01-13-05 12:55 PM

Jaws, after 30 years, still the best damn movie ever made! :thumbsup:

jeffkjoe 01-13-05 06:05 PM

Alex Kitner's death still haunts me.

The fact that they showed someone my age (at the time in 1975) getting killed - ripped apart and mauled - is just shocking.

devilshalo 01-13-05 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Alex Kitner's death still haunts me.

The fact that they showed someone my age (at the time in 1975) getting killed - ripped apart and mauled - is just shocking.

Why not? It was only rated PG. ;)