Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What part of Tokyo was Lost in Translation filmed in?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am talking the downtown part, where the lights, resturants, hotels, clubs, bars, arcades, karaoke spots ect. are at in the movie. Is it called a certain area, or is it simply "downtown Tokyo". The place looks kick ass.

Anybody ever been there?

Is it a cool place to check out?

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-05, 02:21 PM

Does anybody know what Bill Murray whispers at the end?
Old 01-11-05, 02:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It was actually filmed in Toronto, and at the end Bill Murray whispers:
Spoiler:
It's true...this man has no dick
Old 01-11-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
much love for groucho <3 <3 <3
Old 01-11-05, 02:37 PM

I believe the district is called shinjuku. I went there and actually had dinner right above the street where he wispered to her during a overnight layover on my way to Saigon last year and it was a very cool place. I only had one night there so I didnt get to see much but I will be doing the same layover next month when I go back to Saigon for New Years.

sometime soon I will try to go for a extended visit to Tokyo. I have been to Kyoto for a vacation but I have never spent more than one night in Tokyo. It is expensive though since I usually end up with a $300 dinner tab plus $60 in train fees to go to and from Tokyo from Narita Airport.

Last edited by bluntman72; 01-11-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluntman72
I believe the district is called shinjuku. I went there and actually had dinner right above the street where he wispered to her during a overnight layover on my way to Saigon last year and it was a very cool place. I only had one night there so I didnt get to see much but I will be doing the same layover next month when I go back to Saigon for New Years.

sometime soon I will try to go for a extended visit to Tokyo. I have been to Kyoto for a vacation but I have never spent more than one night in Tokyo. It is expensive though since I usually end up with a $300 dinner tab plus $60 in train fees to go to and from Tokyo from Narita Airport.
Thanks for the info!! Much appreciated.
Old 01-11-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kcbrett5

What do you think he said?

Exactly.

-----------

Btw, at the end of his whisper he says
Spoiler:
"Tell him the truth, okay?"
Old 01-11-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kcbrett5
My wife is a lip reader and she swears he says:
"Star Wars, Nothing But Staaar Wars."

Old 01-11-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by garolo
My wife is a lip reader and she swears he says:
"Star Wars, Nothing But Staaar Wars."

She must be a very good lip reader to see through Johansson's hair.
Old 01-11-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I frequently go to Tokyo (and some parts of Japan) due to work and to visit friends and relatives.

The part where Scarlett was walking amongst the crowd was Shibuya. Believe it or not, one of the main "landmarks" here is the Starbucks which is at the 2nd floor level of the Tsutaya building. It is the only Starbucks where people actually have to wait to be seated. But the view fm this place is quite outstanding as you can see the whole intersections of Shibuya fm there. Great to watch people and the odd weirdo who decides to dance in the middle of the streets. A lot of the younger crowd hang out here while the "older" version of Shibuya is Shinjuku where most of the clubs and karaoke places are located. The hotel featured in the film is Park Hyatt which is also located in Shinjuku.

The subway station scene was filmed in Omote-sando which is one of the more "upscale" neighborhoods in Central Tokyo.
Old 01-11-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Yep, Cardiac beat me to it, Shibuya (well some parts were filmed in various places in Japan, but Shibuya probably makes the biggest impression in the film). It's an amazing sight to leave the train station and see that big, busy intersection with several huge TVs on the buildings. I never get over the "wow factor" of going to Shibuya. It is indeed very cool to check out. If you go to Tokyo, a trip to Shibuya is a must. My wife's friend works at the Park Hyatt where the film was shot (she didn't get to meet Bill Murray or anyone though)

Last edited by cultshock; 01-11-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The had an interview with the Park Hyatt Hotel Manager and he said they filmed it here.It's all over Shinjuku.They shot most of the film inside the hotel rooms and at night time only so that the other guests would not be disturbed.The hotel is very posh, and it might cost $400 a night.The lobby is up on the 30th floor I think.These days most Hollywood starts like to use this hotel because it's very discreet and private.
Old 01-11-05, 08:03 PM

thanks for the information. I have to admit it was impressive going to Shibuya. I havent had time to really know tokyo since I have only spent a night there but I hope to make an extended trip soon. Any restaurants you can recommend in Shibuya since I will be there for one night again in mid Feb.
Old 01-11-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bluntman,

I may be wrong but unfortunately, almost all the really good restaurants that serve authentic Japanese izakaya dishes in the Shibuya (and in most major Japanese cities) are mostly catered to the locals. Tokyo, for an international city, still lacks the resources (or the enthusiasm) to label everything in English. I myself speak Japanese but am still quite surprised by the reluctance of some establishments to make visitors a little bit more comfortable by at least having an English menu.

Unless you are willing to settle for the ramen stalls, I suggest you try learning a bit of the language as it really helps a lot. You'd be surprised on the large variety of Japanese cuisine outside of the sushi/teriyaki/tempura lot.

Here's one thing you can say once you do get a menu scribbled with hiragana, katakana & kanji characters: "Ososume hin wa, nani desu ka"

It means "What would you recommend?" Be prepared to, however, pay premium prices!!!

Last edited by Cardiac161; 01-11-05 at 08:54 PM. Reason: wrong text
Old 01-12-05, 01:46 PM

I am going with a friend and he has friends in Tokyo who will be with us and they speak english and Japanese so language wont be a big issue. I just remembered last time we had a hard time deciding on where to eat.