Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sam Jackson takes a stand!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 11:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard him talk about his feelings on this subject before, but this is the first ive read of him turning down work. I have a new found respect for his integrity and dedication to his craft.
from Dark Horizons:

Jackson Not Happy With 50 Cent

Samuel L. Jackson has turned down the chance to work with one of his movie icons - because it's in a film starring rapper 50 Cent reports Contact Music. Irish movie-maker Jim Sheridan ("In America") was targeting Jackson for a role in his new film which the actor was pleased about, until he realised the role was opposite rapper 50 Cent in his movie debut. Jackson has been extremely vocal about sharing the stage with unproven actors: "Hollywood people tend to think that because one is successful in one aspect of entertainment they can bring them into this particular world and make a success out of them. They ask people like me to be in a film with those people that they are kind of headlining and your name ends up behind them. If you do that, it sanctions the fact that these people come into this world and you think they are worthy of you sharing your time on screen with them. I don't particularly think that". Jackson went on about the specific incidents which happened: "A month or so ago, someone called me about the 50 Cent movie and I'm like, 'What are you calling me for?' I don't even need to read that because that's not something I want to do. I like listening to 50 Cent and I can groove to his music but I don't want to groove to him on screen, just yet. Maybe if he does five movies and he shows some talent. I mean how does he get to work with Jim Sheridan and I don't. What is it about 50 Cent that makes Jim Sheridan say, 'I'd really like to make a movie with him'".
Old 01-08-05, 12:09 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Okay... and he's starring in Coach Carter with Ashanti, in her film debut.

But there is no way that she is going to get top billing in that, he has nothing to be worried about.
Old 01-08-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I guess Ice Cube, LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes & Xzibit have enough under their belt to warrant some screen time.

Edit: Added more people he starred with.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-08-05 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like he's holding this director to a higher standard than many others. I doubt he expected much of anything but fluff from movies like XXX. And Ice Cube does have a pretty lengthy resume of acting, whether you think he's good or not.
Old 01-08-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
First I was like RIGHT ON Sam!. Then I was like "Hey, yeah, Goldberg's got a point. Ashanti does suck [and not in a good way], however, he's also right about her billing." Then I was like "devilshalo improved on Goldberg's point". After reading jaeufraser's post, I think he's right with the "director" comment. If you're making a movie with Martin Scorsese or another high caliber DIRECTOR, it's safe to assume you won't see the flavor of the month rapper in it.

Much less a movie about his "life" story..
Old 01-08-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Possibly Sam Jackson feels that way AFTER working with all those people.

Anyway, I heard that 50 Cent isn't a nice guy. My friend worked security at a hotel 50 Cent was staying in Hawaii.
Old 01-08-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Jackson has been bitching about Rapper "actors" for a couple years now. But the funny thing is Hollywood has been doing this for years with no complaints. A few names come to mind....

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis Jr.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-08-05 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have you looked at the cast list for "Be Cool"? I think there are actually more musicians and non-actors in it than there are established actors:

Cedric the Entertainer
André 3000
Steven Tyler
Christina Milian
The Rock

Can this movie be anything BUT a flaming pile?
Old 01-08-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Apparently, no one's bothered to visit the IMDB.

The movie is called "Locked and Loaded" and it's based on 50 Cent's own life story. So, it's not too much of a stretch of imagination to see Fiddy starring in it.

Yes, it could suck, but look how 8 Mile turned out, and that was directed by an Oscar nominated director, Curtis Hanson.
Last time I checked, Sam Jackson didn't have an Oscar, but it was good enough for Kim Basinger (who does have an Oscar) to play a supporting role to Eminem.

And what the hell does Sam Jackson have to be so high and mighty about?
Does anybody here remember a movie called "The 51st State"?

Hey, Sam. If you don't want to be in the movie, turn it down.
Where was your outrage when they made "Crossroads" and "From Justin to Kelly"?
Old 01-08-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Apparently, no one's bothered to visit the IMDB.
Hey, Sam. If you don't want to be in the movie, turn it down.
Where was your outrage when they made "Crossroads" and "From Justin to Kelly"?
Oh, I didn't know Sam was up for roles in those films. Great analogy.

I think it is probably a combo of what jarsofclay and jaeufraser said. Certain directors are held to a higher standard than going with the flavor of the month, which 50 cent is. Secondly having starred with a handful of other music artists who get top billing it probably frustrating. Think about it, you spend 20 years honing your skills and getting to a place where you get top billing on a film and in walks some day old TRL pop star who gets billing right along with you. I don't think so. I think Sam has a right to be pissed. Go Sam!
Old 01-08-05, 11:52 AM

Sam Jackson lost all credibility years ago when he admitted on the DEEP BLUE SEA commentary that he picks his roles based on their vicinity to a golf course.

I don't care if that's the truth, but he should've kept that nugget to himself.
Old 01-08-05, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Have you looked at the cast list for "Be Cool"? I think there are actually more musicians and non-actors in it than there are established actors:

Er, it's ABOUT the music industry.
Old 01-08-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I guess Ice Cube, LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes & Xzibit have enough under their belt to warrant some screen time.

Edit: Added more people he starred with.
Old 01-08-05, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Sam Jackson lost all credibility years ago when he admitted on the DEEP BLUE SEA commentary that he picks his roles based on their vicinity to a golf course.

I don't care if that's the truth, but he should've kept that nugget to himself.
Did someone mention "Samuel L . Jackson" and "nugget"?

Old 01-08-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Old 01-08-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess I'll be the lone Sam Jackson supporter here. Good for him for saying what most have probably been thinking.
Old 01-08-05, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"release the panthers!"
Old 01-08-05, 03:22 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
So he refuses to play second fiddle to a non-actor, but he's willing to play second fiddle to someone who can't act (Ben Affleck)?
Old 01-08-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I once took a stand...
They wouldn't let me back in the camera shop after that
Old 01-08-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I once took a stand...
They wouldn't let me back in the camera shop after that
Old 01-08-05, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
So he refuses to play second fiddle to a non-actor, but he's willing to play second fiddle to someone who can't act (Ben Affleck)?
In all fairness, Changing Lanes was a solid film, and Ben Affleck performed just fine in that movie.
Old 01-08-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Which one owns an Oscar? Granted it is for writing, but still.
Old 01-08-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't Morgan Freeman also say something about this?

Even though it's a bit hypocritical on his part I can see where Sam is coming from. If you've seen any 50 cent video I don't see how any director could get a solid performance out of Mr. Curtis Jackson. That is one stiff guy.

And back up people, Be Cool is gonna own!
Old 01-08-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

now everyone here knows that jackson should hold an oscar (fior pulp fiction) but doesnt'
Old 01-08-05, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
If you've seen any 50 cent video I don't see how any director could get a solid performance out of Mr. Curtis Jackson. That is one stiff guy.
Speaking of stiff actors... maybe they should cast Elisabeth Rohm as his love interest. She's got nothing to do anymore. (4 more days! )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.