Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Honeymooners - A remake to end all remakes

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-03-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search, but didn't find anything about this remake.

If you're a fan of "The Honeymooners" prepare to have your memories raped.

IMDB

Starring
Spoiler:
Cedric the Entertainer as Ralph motherfucking Kramden.
Old 01-03-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Straight to the motherfucking moon yo! Know what I'm sayin?
Old 01-03-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this on one of those "entertainment" shows over the holidays. I was hoping it was an 'nog related hallucination.

Thanks, Chuck, for bringing back that bad memory..
Old 01-03-05, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Um. . . who?
Old 01-03-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does Hollywood now feel the need to "urbanize" so much now? Not only this one, but we also have the Wayans brothers doing a remake of The Munsters!

I'm all for an urbanized version of these films, but for the sake of staying true to the source material, do not call it by the same title...please. For example, when we had the remakes of Can't Buy Me Love and Heaven Can Wait, they at least changed the titles to give both films at least the feel of something new. I'm against any remake not staying as close to the original as possible. I'd be just as pissed if we had a remake of Shaft with a white guy in the lead role.

From filmforce.ign.com:

Stax here with a look at the screenplay for The Honeymooners!

While there have been many obvious changes made for this contemporized version, "The Honeymooners" largely suceeded in capturing the thematic essence of the TV show. Working class New York bus driver Ralph Kramden (Cedric) has only been married for a few years to waitress Alice. He's always on the lookout for a way to get rich quick and his wacky sewer worker best friend, Ed Norton (Epps), is always there to help him get in (and out of) trouble. Alice and Trixie work together as waitresses at a diner.

Minor spoilers follow:

Like Ralph, Alice is a dreamer but she yearns for simpler and more realistic things. She is determined to buy the corner unit of an old, brick Victorian brownstone duplex that belongs to one of the elderly regulars at her diner. In order to accomplish this, Alice must come up with the twenty grand down payment necessary by the seller's deadline. But Alice isn't the only interested buyer. A slickster named Davis is out to snatch the property so that a Starbucks can be built there (this was reminiscent of the franchise beauty parlor moving in on the old neighborhood in Barbershop).

Ralph schemes to win the money not so much to help Alice -- he hasn't even bothered to see the duplex -- but rather to accomplish his dreams of reaching Easy Street. With "help" from Norton, Ralph tries two get rich qick schemes. The first revolves around what they believe is a solid gold railroad car that Norton found under the streets of New York; the second one involves a mangy dog named Iggy who becomes incredibly fast when given the proper motivation.

Ralph and Ed hope to win big at the track thanks to Iggy but, as anyone who has ever seen any sitcom or cartoon derived from The Honeymooners can tell you, things never quite go according to plan. Ultimately, Ralph must learn to put Alice's dreams ahead of his own. That's the barebones plot in a nutshell.

While the final film will likely adhere to the basic narrative provided by this amiable but routine draft, I assume the dialogue for Ralph and Norton will be changed to suit the styles and personalities of Cedric and Epps. Although this script wisely didn't employ much of Jackie Gleason's trademark schtick, the essence of lovable oaf Ralph Kramden remains much the same. He's still a working stiff who, despite all his shortcomings and bravado, is an underdog you root for. Alice remains the pillar of strength and spirit of the piece that she was in the original show.

Ed Norton is the hardest character to get a handle on. It's almost impossible to tell on paper how it will play. Art Carney will ALWAYS be Norton to me so it's tough to imagine Mike Epps in the role. This Norton is still none too bright but it was a little disconcerting seeing such a 1950s icon saying "ass" (granted, he could've said far worse). As long as Epps can capture the brilliant oddness of Norton while establishing his own identity apart from Carney then this character could work. As for Trixie, she was -- just as she sometimes was on TV -- a bit forgettable, more of a sidekick for Alice than anyone too important to the story.

The world of "The Honeymooners" is opened up more than we ever saw on TV. We see Ralph at work, get to know his multi-cultural ensemble of regular passengers, and even travel underground with Norton. By establishing their environment, the storytellers let us better understand the trappings that Ralph and Alice are constantly trying to escape from and yet we also understand why they're never too unhappy about staying there when they do fail.

The formula of the original Honeymooners has been aped now by countless subsequent TV shows, from the obvious Flintstones to The Simpsons. This script employed that same basic paradigm but how could it not? The question is whether audiences will accept these well-worn conventions because it's the grand-daddy of them all or if they'll reject the project as being cliche.

I've had more than one person ask rhetorically who the audience for The Honeymooners is since it's heyday was fifty years ago. I'm told the big-screen version has been urbanized in the hopes of reaching out to a new and broader, younger demographic. The gamble could work but the trick is to not disrespect one of television's most revered classics. This script went a long way in allaying my own fears about the project, that the filmmakers wouldn't "get" what the original show was about. Overall, I'm left feeling guardedly optimistic about this reinvention of "The Honeymooners". -- STAX

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 01-03-05 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 01:15 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Remake?

Edit: they should have gotten Ed Norton to play Ed Norton.

Last edited by Groucho; 01-03-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A remake to end all remakes
If only that were true. I'd gladly sit through this if it would somehow put an end to any future tv show remakes.

Sadly, if The Avengers didn't get them to see they need to stop making tv show remakes nothing will.
Old 01-03-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
I would not pay money to see it in the theatre.

Edit - corrected spelling mistake.

Last edited by LorenzoL; 01-03-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 01:53 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I would not pay money to see it on the theatre.
Neither would I, especially if it came out during the winter months. But if they screened it IN the theater I might give it a shot.
Old 01-03-05, 01:59 PM

as a HUGE Honeymooners and Jackie Gleason fan, I only have one comment:

Old 01-03-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Neither would I, especially if it came out during the winter months. But if they screened it IN the theater I might give it a shot.
The movie is schedule to come out on March 11th.
Old 01-03-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts
¢edric the Entertainer RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!
Old 01-03-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
I have no problem with the movie being done with a black Ralph, the fact that it will be modern day bothers me terribly, though. I wanted to see a 50's period Honeymooners.

I also expect all the wife beating jokes to be toned down.
Old 01-04-05, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate Hollywood.
Old 01-04-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 221 Posts
This isn't a remake. A remake refers to re-doing a film that has been done before, not adapting an old TV show to film.
Old 01-04-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This isn't a remake. A remake refers to re-doing a film that has been done before, not adapting an old TV show to film.
Same characters, same premise, sounds like a remake to me. What difference does it make that it's from a TV show to a film?
Old 01-04-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Same characters, same premise, sounds like a remake to me. What difference does it make that it's from a TV show to a film?
Different medias. It'd be like calling a book adaptation a remake, or a novelization a remake.

Now, if a new TV show of The Honeymooners came out, that would be a remake.
Old 01-05-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This Non-remake Is Not Nice!
Old 01-05-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw this movie....who do we e mail about this one....
Old 01-05-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When i heard about this i got happy for about 1 second, then heard the full details and was instantly upset with the person who told me.
Old 01-05-05, 12:49 PM

This could become the quickest theater to DVD release ever.

I hope this flops, but that awful Fat Albert movie has made over 30 million, so it shows that some people will watch just about anything.

Changing the race of a TV character just seems wrong to me. Maybe because the race of the character does define the character.

They changed the race of the Wild Wild West character "Jim West" from a white guy (Robert Conrad) to a black guy (Will Smith), and we know how some people think of that film.

It's kind of like when they brought Star Trek to the screen, can you imagine the uproar if Kirk was changed to another race.

Hollywood, please stop this trend now.
Old 01-05-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Different medias.
There is no such word as "medias".
Old 01-05-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Changing the race of a TV character just seems wrong to me. Maybe because the race of the character does define the character.

They changed the race of the Wild Wild West character "Jim West" from a white guy (Robert Conrad) to a black guy (Will Smith), and we know how some people think of that film.
I think this remake sounds bad, but Ralph Kramden was a working class, blue collar guy, I don't think race defined his character. If this was Archie Bunker, sure, but not Ralph Kramden.

And I don't think changing the race of Jim West affected that movie at all. If anything, I would guess the film broke the $100 million mark based on the fact that it starred Will Smith. Most people went to Wild Wild West because it was a Will Smith movie opening over the fourth of July, I would bet most of the audience didn't even know it had even been a TV show.
Old 02-07-05, 12:35 PM
Suspended

I have seen the face of Hell, and it is the Honeymooners!

ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks like crap

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.