Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

25 films added to National Film Registry

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts

From cnn.com:

National Film Registry adds 25 films to list

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 Posted: 10:42 AM EST (1542 GMT)

FACT BOX
The 25 films selected this year to join the Library of Congress' National Film Registry, and the year in which they premiered:

"Ben Hur" (1959)
"The Blue Bird" (1918)
"A Bronx Morning" (1931)
"Clash of the Wolves" (1925)
"The Court Jester" (1956)
"D.O.A" (1950)
"Daughters of the Dead" (1991)
"Duck and Cover" (1951)
"Empire" (1964)
"Enter the Dragon" (1973)
"Eraserhead" (1978)
"Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers" (1980)
"Going My Way" (1944)
"Jailhouse Rock" (1957)
"Kannapolis, NC" (1941)
"Lady Helen's Escapade" (1909)
"The Nutty Professor" (1963)
"OffOn" (1968)
"Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor" (1936)
"Pups is Pups (Our Gang)" (1930)
"Schindler's List" (1993)
"Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (1954)
"Swing Time" (1936)
"There It Is" (1928)
"Unforgiven" (1992)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Films teaching Cold War children to "duck and cover" and describing how Oskar Schindler saved thousands of Jews from the Holocaust are being added to the National Film Registry. Also being preserved: Elvis Presley and Rin Tin Tin.

They are among 25 films selected by the Library of Congress to the registry, which now holds 400 pictures.

Also on this year's list: movies starring Popeye the Sailor Man, Our Gang, Ginger Rodgers and Fred Astaire.

Librarian of Congress James H. Billington made the selections after evaluating nearly 1,000 titles nominated by the public and consulting staff and advisers, the library said.

"The films we choose are not necessarily the 'best' American films ever made or the most famous," Billington said in a statement. Rather, they are chosen because they have "cultural, historical or aesthetic significance."

A film's selection recognizes its place in American film and cultural history, he said.

"The registry stands among the finest summations of American cinema's wondrous first century."

This year's selections span a wide cinematic range and include both obscure and well-known movies. Among the better-known films:

# "Ben Hur," the 1959 epic starring Charlton Heston, which tells the story of a Jewish prince who is betrayed and sent into slavery by a Roman friend, only to regain his freedom and come back for revenge. Its centerpiece: an action-packed chariot race.

# "Duck and Cover," the 1951 landmark civil defense film seen by millions of schoolchildren in the 1950s. In the case of an atomic attack, children were advised to duck beneath a table or desk and cover their heads.

# "Jailhouse Rock," which showcased Elvis Presley in ultimate rebel mode. The edginess in this 1957 film was toned down in later Presley pictures.

# "The Nutty Professor," the 1963 film which some rank as comic Jerry Lewis' greatest.

# "Schindler's List," the 1993 film based on the true story of Oskar Schindler, a factory owner in Nazi-occupied Poland who employed thousands of Jewish workers and saved them from the Holocaust.

Lesser known films on this year's list include "Daughters of the Dust," the first feature-length film by an black woman to receive a wide theatrical release, and "Empire," Andy Warhol's eight-hour, one-shot stationary camera look at the Empire State Building.

The registry was established by Congress in the 1988 National Film Preservation Act, and each year, 25 movies are added. The Library of Congress works to ensure that each film in the registry is preserved for all time.

Some interesting choices. It's cool that Lynch's ERASERHEAD was picked, but the one I'm really surprised about is ENTER THE DRAGON. I guess the "cultural, historical or aesthetic significance" is just Bruce Lee himself (I'm a fan of the film though, so that's cool). I suppose that Warhol should be represented in some way, so they chose the 8 hour snooze-fest that is EMPIRE. Any other comments about the picks?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Old 12-28-04, 11:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
@ Duck and Cover
Old 12-28-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eraserhead...wow.............link to all 400 films?
Old 12-28-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
It's cool that Lynch's ERASERHEAD was picked, but the one I'm really surprised about is ENTER THE DRAGON. I guess the "cultural, historical or aesthetic significance" is just Bruce Lee himself (I'm a fan of the film though, so that's cool).
I think that's part of it, but also I think Enter the Dragon introduced America to Kung-Fu. It may not have been the first Kung-Fu movie, but it was the first American produced Kung-Fu movie (according to IMDb, it's first movie that a Chinese film company and an American film company worked together on), and it was one of the earliest to make a big impact over here. Enter the Dragon may not be an obvious choice, but I think it's culturally significant enough to merit entry.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 12-28-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 04:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Daughters of the Dead
Old 12-28-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
....link to all 400 films?
Previous 375 entries:

http://www.loc.gov/film/titles.html

Google is your friend.

It's a nice, comprehensive list. Not just the "classics" and I can see why many of the films were chosen.
Old 12-28-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I think that's part of it, but also I think Enter the Dragon introduced America to Kung-Fu. It may not have been the first Kung-Fu movie, but it was the first American produced Kung-Fu movie (according to IMDb, it's first movie that a Chinese film company and an American film company worked together on), and it was one of the earliest to make a big impact over here. Enter the Dragon may not be an obvious choice, but I think it's culturally significant enough to merit entry.

Good points. And after seeing the list of previous entries, the addition of ENTER THE DRAGON seems less surprising to me now.
Old 12-28-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the link.......wish they had a better statement on why they pick what they do.....don't get me wrong I think they are picking good titles...And thank God at least one copy of the original star wars will survive. Who all is on the committee...and what do film makers have to say about this...aka what does Spielberg or Lynch think of his movie winner in the film registry. Loved to see some quotes.
Old 12-28-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Daughters of the Dead
did they mean daughters of the dust? ive never heard of this
Old 12-28-04, 10:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, it's actually Daughters of the Dust.
Old 12-28-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The Court Jester - Is this the Danny Kaye movie? Wow, what a truly odd choice.
Old 12-28-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
The Court Jester - Is this the Danny Kaye movie? Wow, what a truly odd choice.
thats the one.