Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The coolest movie theater in your town (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The coolest movie theater in your town (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The coolest movie theater in your town

Just wondering what your thoughts are for cool theaters local to you...anyone who travels knows that hard theaters can be hard to find. A few times in my life i have been driving through a city and stopped because i saw something on the marquee. Hoping to compile a list of theaters both new and old. Websites, history, and special moments. Drive in's welcome as well.

The Belcourt Nashville TN -showing classics and indie's all the time

The Majestic Theater Wills Point TX a short article
Old 12-27-04, 02:04 PM
Retired

I like the Muvico Egyptian 24 in the Arundle Mills Mall in Hanover, Maryland (near Baltimore) and the Majestic in downtown Silver Spring, MD.
Old 12-27-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Megaplexes aside, I'd have to say the Drexel Theater on Main St. in Bexely (Columbus Suburb) is the nicest independently owned arthouse type theater. They have several locations throughout the city, most of which only have a few screens each (not including the Arean Grand location downtown and OSU campus location coming next year).

Studio 35 in Clintonville is also VERY COOL. It's an old time style theater with one screen, they serve beer and you can order pizza etc. They used to have a Rocky Horror night, a Dazed & Confused night, and now they do a Sordid Lives night I think, plus first run movies.

Old 12-27-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Little Theater, which is the only non-suburb theater in Rochester (N.Y.). I don't get there as often as I like (about a half a dozen times a year), but it has a nice ambiance about it, five screens and its practically the only place to find Indie/Foreign films. I'm surprised to hear how many people around town who have never been there.
Old 12-27-04, 02:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the New Beverly Cinema is a crappy theatre but they play the best (only?) double-features in Los Angeles. and they show a different pair every 2-3 days. tonight they have muppets take manhattan paired with the 5000 fingers of dr. t. http://64.81.81.99/beverlycinema/showtimes.cfm
Old 12-27-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
I've lived in Kansas, so I'll mention the Warren Theaters in Wichita. Three so far:

http://www.warrentheaters.com/wwmain.asp
http://www.warrentheaters.com/wemain.asp
http://www.warrentheaters.com/otmain.asp

Very nice theaters, well worth visiting if you're in the area. Bars, restaurants, ushers who wear white gloves, the works. Very reasonable ticket prices, too -- $5.50 matinees, $7.50 evenings.

I saw "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Phantom Menace" at the West location, and "Return of the King" at the East one. Haven't visited the Old Town one yet, though. Might try to see "Revenge of the Sith" there.
Old 12-27-04, 03:06 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
Just wondering what your thoughts are for cool theaters local to you...anyone who travels knows that hard theaters can be hard to find. A few times in my life i have been driving through a city and stopped because i saw something on the marquee. Hoping to compile a list of theaters both new and old. Websites, history, and special moments. Drive in's welcome as well.

The Belcourt Nashville TN -showing classics and indie's all the time[/URL]
I fucking hate the Belcourt. I saw Twenty Nine Palms there this past spring, and it was hands down the worst movie theater I've been to in the last 20 years, at least. Based on how the film looked, all I can say is the projector must have been on its last legs, and there were no running lights in the theater, so once the movie started there was no way of knowing where you were or if anyone else was in the theater.

The best theater in my town (Columbus Ohio) is the Film/Video Theater at the Wexner Center For the Arts. The Drexel locations are for poseurs.
Old 12-27-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
arclight

expensive, but worth it.
Old 12-27-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
cameron, you gotta love the belcourt. i hope it stays around, it's almost gone out of business, what, 6 times?

second on the list in nashville as far as Indy films go is the Green Hills theater.

then hollywood 27 is ok. it's just so durn big.

worst theater is Carmike Thoroughbred 20. the theater itself is crap, and it's overrun by teenagers.
Old 12-27-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I live in NYC

enough said
Old 12-27-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm within walking distance of a Landmark Theatre that has stadium style seating.

'Nuff said.
Old 12-27-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other than the Inwood Theater (which, confusingly, is not on Inwood St), there aren't any theaters that are more than about 15 minutes old in my area (Dallas, Texas). The two Angelika Theaters (one at Mockingbird Station and one in suburban Plano) are quite cool and good places to watch movies. And the Magnolia Theater is essentially the same. The Mockingbird Station location is my favorite, but mostly because I like to see the trains (and I could, theoretically, take the train to the theater, but I've not done that yet).

The Cinemark Legacy (which, not confusingly, is on Legacy) in Plano is nice as megaplexes go, but it's not all that unique. Just really big.
Old 12-27-04, 03:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
arclight

expensive, but worth it.
that's right, every damn penny!
Old 12-27-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
arclight

expensive, but worth it.
The ArcLight was still under construction when I left LA a few years ago, but when I went back last month for a visit I had to stop by.

If only all theaters could take a lesson in the art of projection and audio tweaking from this place. I had forgotten how great the theater experience could be.
Old 12-27-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm....... can't think of one that really stands out as "cool".
Old 12-27-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tinseltown Theater near Rochester NY, biggest theater, nice seats, great screens/audio.
Old 12-27-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
cameron, you gotta love the belcourt. i hope it stays around, it's almost gone out of business, what, 6 times?

second on the list in nashville as far as Indy films go is the Green Hills theater.

then hollywood 27 is ok. it's just so durn big.

worst theater is Carmike Thoroughbred 20. the theater itself is crap, and it's overrun by teenagers.
green hills is great...hollywood 27 has everything first run, but i can't go in there without someone smoking out or talking through the picture
Old 12-27-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have mainly vanilla type indoor cinemas here in Bedford, Indiana... but there are two operating drive-ins within a 20 mile radius of me (3 in a 40 mile radius), which is a rarity these days. My son and I saw Elf at the end of the season at the Holiday Drive-In in Mitchell and it was a hoot, lots of fun.....you don't go to the drive-in for the movie, it's definitely the atmosphere.

http://www.holidaydrivein.biz/

http://www.driveinmovie.com/IN.htm
Old 12-28-04, 05:31 PM

I think the Oak Street Theater here in Minneapolis is the best in town. They play great revival double bills, and also rarer first run films, like Gozu and Shaolin Soccer.
Old 12-28-04, 05:36 PM

Arclight. Assigned and very comfortable seats, real butter popcorn, nice screen and sound. Nuff said.
Old 12-28-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I wish I had a Belcourt in my town.
Old 12-28-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
I think the Oak Street Theater here in Minneapolis is the best in town. They play great revival double bills, and also rarer first run films, like Gozu and Shaolin Soccer.
The Landmark theaters in Edina and Uptown show a lot of indies as well.
Old 12-28-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Royal Stewart Theater
Old 12-28-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The Drexel locations are for poseurs.
How do you figure? Guess I'm a poseur.

Last edited by woofman; 12-28-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess i'd say the senator theater in baltimore city, is the best theater i've been too (the local amc theater is pretty good in owings mills because it also gets the art movies as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.