Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen Darkness? Or any reviews?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trailer made this movie look creepy. Haven't seen any reviews in my local paper (which means it is most likely bad). But if anyone have seen this, can you post your review or opinions (no spoilers please unless "blacked out") . Or compare it to another movie. Seems to remind me of The Others.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paquin + tub

Last edited by Third Baseman; 12-25-04 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I went to see this movie with some expectations of a creepy movie based on a pretty good trailer.....

Well, me and the entire theater walked out pretty disappointing. It had a lot of the raw material to make a pretty decent movie, but in the end it just ends up coming up lame.

And the ending...well, for some reasons I had flashbacks to the Blair Witch (not in the actual ending, but in peoples reaction to the ending).

Not so good in my book.
Old 12-25-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It started out alright. Paquin was pretty good, but she was the only good actor in the whole bunch. The father was an absolutely terrible actor, it felt like he was trying to be Jack Nicholson in The Shining, and doing a horrible job at it. Olin didn't fare much better.

The plot was unique, but by the end it ended up tripping all over itself. Its own logic was violated, and it left me with an incomplete feeling, although I think that might have been intended. My brother ended up liking it because
Spoiler:
He likes it where the bad guy wins, which I guess did happen, but still felt unfulfilling
Old 12-26-04, 12:09 AM

i saw it today, but fell asleep for over half of it.
Old 12-26-04, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Most likely I'll wait for the dvd.
The Forgotten had a pretty good trailer and liked it. The Grudge looked good but I didn't like it (maybe a second viewing may change my opinion). However I did enjoy The Ring.
Old 12-26-04, 02:02 AM

I agree with Clemente, the whole theater was disappointed in mine too.
Old 12-26-04, 09:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Isnt this a re-release of the 2002 movie?

And if so, Im pretty sure the one out right now is a watered down version, because it's PG13 versus the original's rated R version.
Old 12-26-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isnt a rerelease as it was never released in the States, only overseas. And it is edited down to a PG-13 so completists might want to hunt down a foreign copy but then they might release the "R" cut to gather interest in the DVD since this'll probably tank at the box office. The visuals and mood are top notch, the story does drag and not much is expalined but I love the ending.
Old 12-26-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from this movie. At the end of the movie the whole audience literally groaned at how it ended. One guy yelled out loud, "this movie sucks"!

Spoiler:
Ok, I have no idea what the whole 7 children was about. What was the grandfather studying, and what actually happened? They did a horrible job of explaining it!
Old 12-26-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator
I just got back from this movie. At the end of the movie the whole audience literally groaned at how it ended. One guy yelled out loud, "this movie sucks"!

Spoiler:
Ok, I have no idea what the whole 7 children was about. What was the grandfather studying, and what actually happened? They did a horrible job of explaining it!
This was my experience tonight as well.

I can't believe this POS came to my relatively large midwestern city but we didn't get Shaun of the Dead or Ghost In The Shell 2 to name a couple that some genius didn't book into our theaters.
Old 01-01-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this movie was absolutely TERRIBLE!!! One of the worst horror movies that I've ever seen in my life. Save your money and watch something else.
Old 01-01-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yikes...this sounds bad
Old 05-13-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen this flick, but what do you guys think of this review from IMDB?

O.K. I'll be the first to admit that the movie could have been better, and in the process of cutting corners to "Americanize" it, many things were left a little too much to the imagination and interpretation. However, there is one very important thing you have to realize when first going into this film that most people don't seem to get. This is a foreign horror movie with foreign sensibilities, and more than anything it tries to be an "Artsy" horror film...which is a very rare breed indeed. The entire film, and especially the ending, is meant to be a bit ambiguous. That is all part of the "Art House" nature of this horror film. Granted the blend between the horror/suspense and artistic mystique is not the most perfect of any film, but this movie actually does give you just enough insight to let you know all the key elements of the main plot points to be able to realize what is going on, despite the fact that a few small points are barely touched upon and just thrown out without any in-depth explanation. But if you really want to nit-pick about every little detail of a horror movie...then you can find little pieces like this in most every horror movie, even some of the classics. You've got to give this movie a little credit though for trying to be something more, even after being re-tailored for American audiences. I really don't even know why studios bother re-packaging foreign horror films or any foreign films anymore though, especially with the latest Japanese and Korean Horror film crazes. Now horror fans are hailing the praises of the foreign horror films' original visions. When I first finished this movie, I was getting ready to say it was mediocre and not worth my time...that was until I saw the very ending which was totally a "NON-HOLLYWOOD" ending that leaves the viewer with some sense of "INTENTIONAL" uncertainty. After I saw that, I soon realized that I had just watched more than a standard horror flick...and the differences were so subtle and underscored all throughout the film that I didn't even realize it. This makes this film, in my opinion, lie somewhere between "ingenious" and "not fully realized". Despite my final revelation by the end of the film though, the effect of the whole storyline was hurt quite a bit still by unsteady plot pacing. Also, ultimately the whole thing with the children always standing around in the shadows seemed to bare resemblance to a lot of other recent horror films, though it may not have seemed so much that way a couple of years ago when this movie was first released. Lately most horror flicks have a bunch of freaky ghost children and the like...and quite frankly it's getting old...though it was good the first half a dozen times or so.

In the end, your overall outlook of this film will be greatly determined by two things...1) How you initially approach the movie upon first watching it (either as more of an artsy movie or standard horror) & 2) How the ending strikes you and whether it makes things fall into place better for you or just leaves you with more questions (unfortunately the ambiguous nature of it that some will love will also be the very reason that just as many will hate it...which is probably why this film will never get much more than an average review on this site) In closing, I'd like to say that I did like the overall concept of trying to have the film be more about classical concepts such as Light and Dark...the pure essence of Good & Evil...in this case mostly Evil. The title "Darkness" fits perfectly. I feel that this movie tried to be some kind of metaphor in itself, but once again, due to the underscoring of many of these basic ideas...the viewer tends to lose this idea somewhere in the basic plot that the film sets up to convey this idea. The film unfortunately tries to be very general in its presentation of Good vs. Evil while also presenting a rather convoluted and intricate plot that is supposed to set up this very idea but rather loses it in the mix for the most part.

You've got to give the filmmakers credit for this Ultra Bleak and Hopeless Ending as well. Hollywood won't put out a movie that ends like this, so you've got to at least acknowledge the fact that this film has the balls to end on the lowest note possible.
Old 05-13-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds like I made the right choice in skipping this one.
Old 05-13-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Terrible movie, just plain terrible.

I've seen it twice but was so bored on both views that I still couldn't even tell you what it was about.

Avoid this piece of shit at all costs. Decent trailer though.