Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Coming

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Source: The Hollywood Reporter December 17, 2004

Revelstone Entertainment and the Mark Gordon Co. are teaming up to produce a feature film version of Stephen Donaldson's epic fantasy The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Revelstone has optioned the rights to the first six books in the series, which Band of Brothers writer John Orloff will adapt.

The books revolve around a shunned author (Covenant) who is magically transported to the Land, a mystical world where he discovers he is the incarnation of a great hero. Covenant thinks it's all a dream. But he's the bearer of a magical talisman, and is enlisted to help save the Land from Saturn and his representatives.
I'm torn about this one.

While I love the series (obviously), Unless they do a LOTR treatment there's no way it'll be watchable.
Old 12-20-04, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved this series was in high school/college.

But I don't even know how it would work even if it *got* the LOTR treatment. The conflict in LOTR was substantially external. So much so that the movies had to *add* a couple internal conflicts to Aragorn just to make him more interesting.

But the Covenant books are almost entirely about Covenant's internal battles with dispair and self-hatred. It makes for interesting reading when you get inside the guy's head, but can you really imagine watching him on screen for two hours? He never uses a sword, never rides to battle, whines and moans most of the time, and only rarely figures out how to use his ring. Even when they win a battle there is much heart-rending about the lives that were lost. And one of his first acts in the series is to rape a sweet, innocent young woman. The audience would be throwing popcorn at the screen within a half hour.

More likely is that they turn it into a LOTR clone, complete with magical ring and volcano, and it loses the qualities that made it work on the page. In which case, it is just a knock off, and won't be worth the money that would be required to even make it a decent-looking knockoff.
Old 12-21-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomMiller
I loved this series was in high school/college.

But I don't even know how it would work even if it *got* the LOTR treatment. The conflict in LOTR was substantially external. So much so that the movies had to *add* a couple internal conflicts to Aragorn just to make him more interesting.

But the Covenant books are almost entirely about Covenant's internal battles with dispair and self-hatred. It makes for interesting reading when you get inside the guy's head, but can you really imagine watching him on screen for two hours? He never uses a sword, never rides to battle, whines and moans most of the time, and only rarely figures out how to use his ring. Even when they win a battle there is much heart-rending about the lives that were lost. And one of his first acts in the series is to rape a sweet, innocent young woman. The audience would be throwing popcorn at the screen within a half hour.

More likely is that they turn it into a LOTR clone, complete with magical ring and volcano, and it loses the qualities that made it work on the page. In which case, it is just a knock off, and won't be worth the money that would be required to even make it a decent-looking knockoff.
I agree...