Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ALONE IN THE DARK going Direct to Video

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ALONE IN THE DARK going Direct to Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tara Reid
Old 01-05-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I the only one looking forward to this? I mean, I laughed harder at House Of The Dead than most comedies... I'm seeing this film with half a dozen friends in an empty theater!

On the other hand, who has seen Boll's film The Heart Of America? From the box, it looks like an exploitation film, about school shootings... but a lot of the IMDb boardheads like it.

Not to defend IMDb boardheads, but they're not all bad...
Originally Posted by Seantn
It must be wonderful. They're releasing it in JANUARY, the most well known month for gigantic horror hits *cough* Phantoms * cough *
HEY, AFFLECK WAS DA BOMB IN PHA... sorry... I just can't finish that anymore.
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
The funny thing is, his films are nothing like the games he based them on. House of the Dead...teenagers at a rave...that has nothing to do with the game. Bloodrayne is a game about a vampire killing nazis...yeah, let's change that around. And Alone in the Dark was never an action game.
While not a loyal way of thinking, it's smart money. Boll realizes the name alone will sell the flick. Why bother being faithful to the source material when it's the "based on the video game" that will get the punters in (The punters that care about "based on a video game", of course...)?

Actually, I'm kinda/sorta looking forward to Bloodrayne. Guin Turner wrote the script. A bad, amateurish flick can still have a beautiful script, so let's see...
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Tara Reid
She's really getting into the role, I think. I've seen pictures on the net where she's still wearing the movie makeup of hideous bodily scars. That's dedication.
Originally Posted by jonpeters
Wood made so-bad-there-good B-films and Boll makes so-bad-there-just-bad films.
Jon, I mean this in the most friendly way possible;
THERE - THEIR - THEY'RE

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 01-05-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 12:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
While not a loyal way of thinking, it's smart money. Boll realizes the name alone will sell the flick. Why bother being faithful to the source material when it's the "based on the video game" that will get the punters in (The punters that care about "based on a video game", of course...)?
Except that it completely contradicts what he says in the interview... that fanboys should be HAPPY he's doing these movies because the studios "don't get" the material and won't do it correctly, whereas he will.

As for getting people in with the name alone, none of the games he's adapting have a huge following. At least Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil were blockbuster gaming franchises with a large built-in audience. Alone in the Dark had a decent following when it was released, and was the pioneer for the survival horror style. But that was 12 years ago... and it never was a huge mainstream phenomenon.
Old 01-05-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Except that it completely contradicts what he says in the interview... that fanboys should be HAPPY he's doing these movies because the studios "don't get" the material and won't do it correctly, whereas he will.

As for getting people in with the name alone, none of the games he's adapting have a huge following. At least Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil were blockbuster gaming franchises with a large built-in audience. Alone in the Dark had a decent following when it was released, and was the pioneer for the survival horror style. But that was 12 years ago... and it never was a huge mainstream phenomenon.
Exactly. if he didn't go around in interviews bashing everyone else who makes movies while proclaiming himself the savior of video game movies, making them correctly and the way they should be. And, as you said, the name of these games aren't going to draw that many people in. How many people have even heard of Bloodrayne? I suspect not enough to justify its 45 million budget.

Though, Donnacha, I am looking forward to his films. If he can make them as bad as HOD, they'll be a laugh riot. But just cause his films are enjoyable on a so bad its good level, won't stop me from calling Boll a giant hack. I'm scared of Bloodrayne, assuming it might have a decent script. I'd prefer it just be awful through and through, but I'm sure he'll fuck with the script enough so the shooting script won't be any good.