Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey, Hey, Hey! Fat Albert looks really good!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I saw the trailer for FAT ALBERT. Funniest thing I've seen in years. Only the hilarious SPANGLISH trailer was close to being as good.

I didn't have high hopes for this movie when I first heard about it, but they've managed to bring Fat Albert to life in a near perfect way. The guy is a dead ringer for the cartoon character. I'm also happy to see Bill Cosby involved in the film. Anybody looking as forward to this as I am?
Old 12-13-04, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* crickets *
Old 12-13-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no.
Old 12-13-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no times 10
Old 12-13-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I defend fox titles more than anyone here and I will jump on the side that says...

NO!
Old 12-13-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just ran "Perkinsun Dzees" through Babelfish. Turns out it really means "completely delusional and without the power of discretion". Who knew?
Old 12-13-04, 10:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was really looking forward to this movie, until I realized it said 'Fat' and not 'Marv'.
Old 12-13-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Aw, c'mon guys, you know better than to judge a film before you've seen it. I bet ya FAT ALBERT ends up being more entertaining than either THE AVIATOR or MILLION DOLLAR BABY. In fact, if you go see FAT ALBERT and don't like it, I'll personally send you a free Jello Pudding pop.
Old 12-13-04, 10:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wait a second....your that fat kid from Kenan and Kel, Good Burger, and SNL, right? Yes! It must be you! Trying to promote your movie here? Don't even think about it. Were still pissed you refuse to do an audio commentary for the Criterion release of Good Burger!
Old 12-13-04, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Aw, c'mon guys, you know better than to judge a film before you've seen it.
New to the forums, huh?

I bet ya FAT ALBERT ends up being more entertaining than either THE AVIATOR or MILLION DOLLAR BABY. In fact, if you go see FAT ALBERT and don't like it, I'll personally send you a free Jello Pudding pop.
Tell you what - if I go and see it, and hate the movie as much as the piece of shit I genuinly think it to be - buy my ticket. If there's even a remote shred of enjoyment - if I get a laugh from a TRAILER, then we'll call it good - but if not, send me 6 bucks.
Old 12-13-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the trailer for FAT ALBERT. Funniest thing I've seen in years. Only the hilarious SPANGLISH trailer was close to being as good.

I didn't have high hopes for this movie when I first heard about it, but they've managed to bring Fat Albert to life in a near perfect way. The guy is a dead ringer for the cartoon character. I'm also happy to see Bill Cosby involved in the film. Anybody looking as forward to this as I am?
[Gene Siskel]You're Satan, aren't you?[/Gene Siskel]
Old 12-14-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aw, c'mon guys, you know better than to judge a film before you've seen it.
I saw the trailer for FAT ALBERT. Funniest thing I've seen in years...Anybody looking as forward to this as I am?
Old 12-14-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
it's going to both suck and blow.
Old 12-14-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[Dr Evil] riiiiiiiiiight [/Dr Evil]
Old 12-14-04, 02:55 AM
Suspended

they've managed to bring Fat Albert to life in a near perfect way. The guy is a dead ringer for the cartoon character.
Live-action conversions of cartoons (and video games) do not work. They never have and never will. The resulting movie is always ghoulish and unwatchable. I submit the following as direct evidence:

The Cat in the Hat
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle
Looney Tunes: Back in Action
Mr. Magoo
The Flintstones
The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas
George of the Jungle
Dudley Do-right
Inspector Gadget
Inspector Gadget 2
Scooby-Doo
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
101 Dalmatians
102 Dalmatians
Josie and the Pussycats
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Street Fighter
Super Mario Brothers
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2: Cradle of Life
Old 12-14-04, 02:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Old 12-14-04, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
aww, c'mon, everyone knows that they'll love this. It's got the guy from Good Burger!!!!!
Old 12-14-04, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think the OP is being sarcastic.

That said, I won't be seeing Fat Albert because it doesn't look like something I would enjoy... that doesn't mean it'll be a bad movie though. I'm sure someone will like it.
Old 12-14-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trigger actually brings up a very good point. Is there one movie out there that absolutely no one likes? I mean there have been some really awful movies out there that have pretty much been universally slammed, but is there one movie that you can find that not one single person had anything good to say about? Of course judging by the Fat Albert trailer, this could be the one, but I doubt it.
Old 12-14-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing I found funny or interesting about it was when Fat Albert went to meet Bill Cosby in the commercial.
Old 12-14-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry but Mortal Kombat, George of the Jungle, Scooby Doo were successes.

the rest are flushed in my toilet.
Old 12-14-04, 10:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

If they had went further with the Brady Bunch Movie angle that the actual characters have been dropped in modern reality, this might have been at least okay. There ARE hints of that in the trailer. But they also flood it with goofy gags aimed at little kids and half-assed attempts to reach teenagers (Fat Albert raps... puh-leeze). When 95% of today's kids and teens have never even heard of Fat Albert.
Old 12-14-04, 10:30 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much screen time does Crosby have?
Old 12-14-04, 10:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Live-action conversions of cartoons (and video games) do not work. They never have and never will. The resulting movie is always ghoulish and unwatchable. I submit the following as direct evidence:

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2: Cradle of Life
In this case, at least, I would argue that this could have made a fantastic film series. They had the perfect lead, and both movies had respectable supporting casts. Unfortanately, they hired a hack (Simon West) and a director who'd lost his touch (Jan DeBont). And the scripts were even worse than the directors. It could've been a rollicking adventure along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean, but alas...
Old 12-14-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
When 95% of today's kids and teens have never even heard of Fat Albert.
I think you're wrong, DRG. At work, the lenticular Fat Albert poster gets the most attention, far more than any other poster; I hear kids begging to see it, and teens discussing the changes they've made, referring to the characters by name. The trailer also gets good reception; we have big screen TVs in the lobby to show trailers, and the kids will crowd around to see it.

Not to mention that Fat Albert's been quite popular on youngsters' clothes this last few years. You've never seen teens walking by with a leather Fubu Fat Albert jacket?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.