Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DOOM is doomed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOOM is doomed!

From Badmovies.net:

The big screen version of the ultraviolent first person shooter video game appears all but guaranteed to be a big screen stinkbomb. The story of the video game - actually more of a concept than a story since the game itself is mostly nothing more than running around shooting demonic monsters - has the player running around a Martian lunar base where an experiment gone horribly wrong has opened a portal to Hell allowing monstrous hellbeasts to enter our dimension. The plot to the movie will now deal with Marines going to a deep space facility where the staff has become exposed to some sort of virus that causes them to mutate into hideous monsters that will resemble the creatures from the video game. The only thing that really distinguishes DOOM from every other ALIEN knock-off is the whole satanic monsters from Hell aspect of the game and now they've gone and done away with that. Word is the movie won't have quite as much shooting either as the reported emphasis will be more on horror than action. Why do I get the feeling the producers are insisting on a PG-13 movie? After all, what we really need are more PG-13 movies based on R-rated video games. Heck, even HOUSE OF THE DEAD got that much right. DOOM is currently shooting Prague under the direction of Andrzej "CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE" Bartowiak, thus guaranteeing a lot of MTV style editing and annoying tecno/hip hop music on the soundtrack, and stars The Rock, thus proving that The Rock really sucks when it comes to picking projects to star in.
Now while I wasnt expecting Citizen Fuckin' Kane here, I was expecting three things: Mars, tons and tons and tons of blood, and unholy armies of Hell Demons. Come on, people - it's not that god damned hard!

*sigh*

The Uwe Boll curse keeps on rolling. . . .
Old 12-13-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I was under the impression that The Rock was NOT starring in the project. I'm not so sure he's even still in it, despite his name being attached early on. Last i heard it was the fellow that played Eomer in LOTR that was the lead.
Old 12-13-04, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Hmmm, youre right - according to IMDB, Karl Urban is the space marine and not The Rock. Hey - looks like Dwayne has a bit of common sense after all!
Old 12-13-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, what exactly is the point in turning a video game into a movie, but then throwing out everything that made the game popular? I mean, if I see a Doom movie I better see lots of blood, guns, and action in a dark, satanically inspired spave environment. If not that, then it's not Doom! That would be as stupid as say, making a House of the Dead movie and setting it on an island where a bunch of teens go to a rave.
Old 12-13-04, 08:54 PM

If it's got space marines, dark sci-fi/horror atmosphere and monsters that look like they do in the game, then it could still feel like the game even without a specific satan angle. But PG-13 and lack of shooting action? That's B.S. The gonzo action nature and violence would set it apart from other space horror flicks. Without the action, what's the point? The ground's been covered and I sincerely doubt the script/direction/acting is Oscar-calibre. In the words of Al Pacino, "don't waste my... MUTHAF**KIN' TIME!"
Old 12-14-04, 08:53 AM

The Rock is still listed as being in the movie (according to IMDB.com which we all know isn't the gospel), but his character is Sarge. You have to look at the full cast/crew list. It also still mentions the project on his own page in IMDB.com. I'd say that unless he's the main character, this movie isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-14-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
So, what exactly is the point in turning a video game into a movie?
Fixed.

Have any of them been any good? I haven't seen any.
Old 12-14-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can understand turning it into a horror/suspense instead of an action/shooter based on the last game, where they seemed much more interested in keeping you stumbling around in the dark and jumping the shit out of you with monsters than letting you shoot anything.

However, I see ZERO point in moving it from Mars to a space station. Granted, I can't think of a single good movie set on mars, but it's a major component of Doom. My guess is someone has a crappy zero-G scene in mind.

But really, these changes don't bother me because the whole project is a stupid idea.
Old 12-14-04, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wmansir
Granted, I can't think of a single good movie set on mars
What about Total Recall? Not a fantastic film, but solid Ah-nold entertainment.
Old 12-14-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do they keep making these kind of movies PG-13? First AVP now this? It's bullshit. How can you make a movie out of a game where all you do is blow shit up PG-13??
Old 12-14-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand corrected. I knew there had to be one, but I just couldn't think of any.
Old 12-14-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Gonna have to skip this one.
Old 03-08-05, 12:48 AM

Just read this article on the movie. Doesn't really explain about what changes are exactly made to this movie, but The Rock does mention this:

"From Doom you can expect an unapologetic, Rated-R movie, that pulls no punches,' he told FilmFocus, 'and just like what the videogame was able to do in terms of its violence, but not violence for the sake of violence."

Here's the article. http://www.filmfocus.co.uk/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=306

So, sounds like we will be getting a space marine blowing the living hell out of things. With Stan Winston monsters, not CG ones, for the CG haters out there. i'm pretty sure it takes place on some random planet, not mars or a space station.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 03-08-05 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I saw The Rock on the Daily Show last week, and he seemed very excited about this movie. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but he pretty much confirmed what he said in that interview.
Old 03-08-05, 12:59 AM

The Rock really sucks when it comes to picking projects to star in.
The Rock sucks period. Enough of these damn wrestlers starring in awful movies.
Old 03-08-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually hate wrestler/actors, but I find the Rock extremely entertaining.
Old 03-08-05, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I usually hate wrestler/actors, but I find the Rock extremely entertaining.
I agree with this statement completely. While he doesn't pick the best films to act in, he does his best to entertain the audience.
Old 03-08-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yeah, The Rock has been really entertaining in the films he has done so far.
Old 03-08-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Rock has an incredible amount of screen presence. If he isn't the lead in this movie then he shouldn't be in it at all, unless the lead ends up doing a really good job of it.
Old 03-08-05, 07:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I hope the Rock reprises his role from Be Cool for this movie.
Old 03-08-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I hope the Rock reprises his role from Be Cool for this movie.
Wastes and alien. Slaps his ass and says "Smoked ya!"
Old 03-08-05, 08:21 AM

Next thing you know ...no Baron of Hell or BFG.
Old 03-08-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Rock called in to the Opie & Anthony show last week and along with promoting Be Cool, he mentioned the filming of DOOM.

He made it very clear it's going to be a "ass-kicking R-rated flick."

Rock Calls O & A (zip file)
Old 03-08-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by maxpower
Next thing you know ...no Baron of Hell or BFG.
I think The Rock mentioned in an interview specifically that there's a BFG.
Old 03-08-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think The Rock mentioned in an interview specifically that there's a BFG.
He said it was the "Bio-Force Gun".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.