Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Monster's Ball" Signature Series or R-rated theatrical?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 05:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Anyone have the longer, uncut version and know if it changes the movie at all and makes it that much better than the theatrical cut? I know it is just the sex scene that is added to, but I always have this affinity for getting the longer versions of movies i really liked. Thanks in advance for comments.
Old 12-13-04, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Anyone have the longer, uncut version and know if it changes the movie at all and makes it that much better than the theatrical cut? I know it is just the sex scene that is added to, but I always have this affinity for getting the longer versions of movies i really liked. Thanks in advance for comments.
While the sex scene is even rawer in the uncut version, it's not going to radically alter your opinion of the film for the better or worse, I don't think. Reviewed both cuts/discs in some detail here - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/monstersball.htm

The two DVDs, for what it's worth, contain entirely different supplementary material, so there's that to consider as well.

Bill C
Old 12-14-04, 05:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by flmfreakcentral
While the sex scene is even rawer in the uncut version, it's not going to radically alter your opinion of the film for the better or worse, I don't think. Reviewed both cuts/discs in some detail here - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/monstersball.htm

The two DVDs, for what it's worth, contain entirely different supplementary material, so there's that to consider as well.

Bill C
so is the difference a full minute according to ur sites running times? or like mere seconds or what? and is the sex scene just added to or are there bits of character moments also strewn in? i only ask about the length bc some reviews say 1.5-2 minutes. thanks again.
Old 12-14-04, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so is the difference a full minute according to ur sites running times? or like mere seconds or what? and is the sex scene just added to or are there bits of character moments also strewn in? i only ask about the length bc some reviews say 1.5-2 minutes. thanks again.
Bear in mind, you're not just seeing extra shots (no euphemism intended) in the unrated version, you're missing the odd cutaway from the R-rated release that has been substituted with harder-edged material. Ergo, while the uncut MONSTER'S BALL runs almost exactly a minute longer, it might actually contain something like 2 minutes of new footage.

Bill C
Old 12-15-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein