Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Explain Session Nine to me

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this film over the weekend and b/c it was late and the movie was a little slow, I let my mind drift a little and was confused by exactly was going on, especially near the end. Anyone what to talk about this film?

I really like the overall feel of this movie and think I would consider giving it another shot some time down the road if others really liked it and can give their reason why they thought it was a good movie. It seems to be getting a lot of love in the netflix reviews but didn't see much discussion here.
Old 12-13-04, 11:40 AM

http://www.moviepooper.com/2/783.html

Good film indeed btw apart from Caruso who can't act.
Old 12-13-04, 02:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketamine
I watched this film over the weekend and b/c it was late and the movie was a little slow, I let my mind drift a little and was confused by exactly was going on, especially near the end. Anyone what to talk about this film?

I really like the overall feel of this movie and think I would consider giving it another shot some time down the road if others really liked it and can give their reason why they thought it was a good movie. It seems to be getting a lot of love in the netflix reviews but didn't see much discussion here.
Wow, this post could've been written by me, word for word. Except my mind didn't drift so much as I was tired and had to fight to stay awake. I did enjoy the movie though, but I couldn't 100% piece it together either.
Old 12-13-04, 02:42 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, after reading that spoiler page...

Spoiler:
I got all of it except the fact that he killed his wife and kid. I suppose it makes sense now, but I didn't piece that together. I'm still confused as to how all those photos got on the wall.
Old 12-13-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMDB has a pretty good discussion about it.

Sounds like the commentary clears things up but the movie doesn't sound as good the way they explained it as what others thought was going on when they watched it. I'm guessing there are a lot of people here who haven't seen it. I would say it is worth a look as it has a lot of open ended things happen that would be good for discussion on this site.
Old 12-13-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
The script does leave some occurrences unsatisfactorily delineated, but the film is still one of the very best of the genre since the '70s. Give it another watch when you're not tired; and Caruso was surprisingly good, I thought.
Old 12-13-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

David Caruso, bad actor? His delivery of "Fuck YOU...." sold me!
Old 04-24-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianHorrorFan
http://www.moviepooper.com/2/783.html

Good film indeed btw apart from Caruso who can't act.
I just watched this movie, and I could see the ending described in the link here, except . . .
Spoiler:
Simon's voice on the tape was clearly a man's, whereas the voices before were supposedly Mary's alternate personalities. The way Gordon kept being told to "wake up" made me wonder if any of it, except his murdering his family, had actually happened. I kind of wondered whether he was in one of those repressed memory sessions talked about, and the whole scenario with the hospital asbestos clearing was his mind's way to uncover the truth about murdering his family. Is that a crazy idea, or can anyone explain why Simon's voice was a real man's voice as opposed to a girl faking a male voice?
Old 04-24-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This movie, in the right frame of mind, and the second time around, is awesome.
Old 04-24-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
I just watched this movie, and I could see the ending described in the link here, except . . .
Spoiler:
Simon's voice on the tape was clearly a man's, whereas the voices before were supposedly Mary's alternate personalities. The way Gordon kept being told to "wake up" made me wonder if any of it, except his murdering his family, had actually happened. I kind of wondered whether he was in one of those repressed memory sessions talked about, and the whole scenario with the hospital asbestos clearing was his mind's way to uncover the truth about murdering his family. Is that a crazy idea, or can anyone explain why Simon's voice was a real man's voice as opposed to a girl faking a male voice?

It's been a while since I've seen the film but...
Spoiler:
Simon is an evil entity that possesses people who are weak or some such, it's that last line in the film. Gordon became possessed when he first entered the hospital and you can hear Simon say 'Hello Gordon'
It's the scariest film I have ever seen.
Old 04-25-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Graftenberg
It's been a while since I've seen the film but...
Spoiler:
Simon is an evil entity that possesses people who are weak or some such, it's that last line in the film. Gordon became possessed when he first entered the hospital and you can hear Simon say 'Hello Gordon'
It's the scariest film I have ever seen.
Spoiler:
That's what the link said, and apparently that's what the director says on the dvd commentary. I just thought with the "wake up" "you're asleep" and "do it" that people kept telling Gordon, and the way Simon's voice was so masculine, that this was a horror film more like Identity than The Shining. I asked about this at IMDB too, and was told that I'm not the first person to think this, but it isn't what the director intended. Also, people say that one actress did Mary and all her alter ego's voices, including Simon's (which is amazing I think)